Like minded gentlemen.... I need your opinion. (Heavy duty folder)

Hey guys, i kind of hate to ask this, but i used the search and couldnt quite find what i was looking for.

I like my knives to be users. I have very few blades that would still be considered "good" condition (mostly sentimental stuff), but otherwise i thrash on my knives, and thats the way i like it. I love esee's blades, but some times the trusty izula just isnt right for my situation. Let me explain.

I am a college student, and i have always carried a knife with me. Now the izula is pretty easy to conceal, but some times a folder just makes things easier. I can bury it deep in my pocket when im in class, not have any issues with other students/teacher, and then use it when im out of class. But i dont want to sacrifice blade strength, thickness or quality in a folder. My current folder is the Benchmade HK Ally, which is nice, but i hate serrations on a blade that small.

The other problem is when it comes to price. Id love to pick up something like the HEST folder, but $200 is waaaaay out of my price range. I spent all my money on the ESEE 6, and have been slowly building up my knife money ever since. I have looked at a few things in the ZT line, but again they can be quite spendy.

So what do you guys recommend as a good, thick, hard use folder for say... under $100?

Thanks for any info or opinions

Edit- Blade would preferably have
3-4 inch blade
decent steel (not stainless, but aus8 or higher)
frame or liner lock, or something i can easily close with one hand (ie not a back lock)
decent texturing on handle
deep pocket clip, tip up carry

knives I am considering -
ZT 0301, 200, 350
spyderco paramilitary 2, tenacious
Ontario Rat 1
Emerson... not sure what model yet

Last edited:
I've been thinking of replacing my Kershaw Blur with the Rat 1 folder. I found them for around 25 bucks and they get good reviews. I am a little worried that it might be a bit girthy for daily pocket carries. I'm used to the slim feel of the Kershaw Blur.

What do you all think of the RAT 1?

GV8Y_FawEbnDuzSi6Ooos75YhYz2oGBSCztXi2kI8SZTTrn2_TJT-W5bb7X1i5LGNWwEtwiFpsdYRpEu76AjTEebv_rSUfOy8HouYREcpXSP5sEL7_lrDfF20mCE9-lRSWIPxT7GYuGIqoMlSw

Benchmade Griptilian- 3.4in blade i think

Spyderco Delica or Endura

Hate to divert from ESEE knives, but I've held and used these 3 blades and feel that they are all very good and reliable folders.

Hope this helps

I snagged 2 rat 1's off ebay a while ago, gave one to my brother and kept one they are our go to folders especially for the outdoors. for edc i switch between my rat 1 and para-2 also a great knife.

I snagged 2 rat 1's off ebay a while ago, gave one to my brother and kept one they are our go to folders especially for the outdoors. for edc i switch between my rat 1 and para-2 also a great knife.

I'm probably going to pick one up. The only complaint I can find is of the handle. Some say it feels like cheap plastic. But for 25 bucks and so many good reviews...I think I'll do it.

Well... a couple of questions??? does it have to be a premium steel (stainless) for the price range you are looking at?
What do you prefer...liner lock, frame lock, compression lock???
What defines for you heavy duty?

For me I have fallen in love with the spyderco para-military. YOu can pick one up on the secondary market for under $100 (but not much) or brand new at $120. Its CPM S30V, holds a edge well, great slicer, strong enough tip for decent use, great ergos.... and its built solid. Not like a ZT mind you but solid for what I would call a heavy duty slicer.

If you dont need a premium steel. Spyderco Reslience will put you at that blade range, its a chinese steel. but its just as good as AUS 8. Solid liner lock, g10, tip up, tip down carry. Decent handle ergonomics.

I know a lot of people like the Benchmade Griptilian and its under $100. I personally dont like them. Its solid, but to me Benchmade does a really poor job on their grinds at the bevel. and i mean bad. Have not had one good one yet.

Try the spyderco Para Military, i dont think you can go wrong. Its a deceptively tough knife. BTW i have the HEST folder. Its awesome, but at that price range, there are a lot of awesome blades, lol.

Personally the most underrated blade I've ever had is the Kershaw Skyline, very inexpensive and I've beat it near death (seriously), its cut lead roof jacks, drywall and everything between.. check out my sig line for another winner !!!, excellent blade s30v too !!!!

now if you want quality, affordability, and ease of carry go with a Spyderco Delica, or Sage 1,2,3...

newly design and sooooon to be released the Manix 2 Translucent Blue, and the Chaparral..

these two designs have me EXTREMELY interested again...............

btw, I perfectly understand your situation and have find myself NOT carrying my fixed blades for about 3 plus months now..

sage 1/ and kershaw skyline see most my carry time..

I don't have a bunch of folders but I do have a ZT 0500 MUDD and a ZT 0301. Both are very well built, especially the 0301. I've also owned a Spyderco Para-Military and it was very nice as well. My advice would be to keep an eye on BF's for sale subforum and look for a ZT or a Para, from time to time you will see a ZT 0350 / 0200 or a Para for $100 or less.

You would have to check prices on your side of the border, but an Emerson CQC7 is one of the most durable knives I have ever owned. You can get plain or serrated and the blade is just over 3" (3.3" I think) It has never been too small. Also it doesn't look overly aggressive.

I can get one up here (Canada) for $155.00 so they would be less than that Stateside. If you spend the little extra, you will never need to buy another, but you will anyway!

I know Cold Steel gets a lot of hate on these forums, but for a good hard use folder under $100, take a serious look at the American Lawman and the AK47 by Cold Steel. For the price, they're tough to beat.... and you won't feel bad about beating on them either.

I've been thinking of replacing my Kershaw Blur with the Rat 1 folder. I found them for around 25 bucks and they get good reviews. I am a little worried that it might be a bit girthy for daily pocket carries. I'm used to the slim feel of the Kershaw Blur.

What do you all think of the RAT 1?

GV8Y_FawEbnDuzSi6Ooos75YhYz2oGBSCztXi2kI8SZTTrn2_TJT-W5bb7X1i5LGNWwEtwiFpsdYRpEu76AjTEebv_rSUfOy8HouYREcpXSP5sEL7_lrDfF20mCE9-lRSWIPxT7GYuGIqoMlSw
I think that for $25 your hard pressed to find a better price/performance ratio.
I've had mine for a year and done all sorts of folder tasks and some things I shouldn't have done.
It is a little bigger but I don't find the thickness an issue at all. It'ds the length. If you squat down close to the ground it can give you some trouble BUT I wouldn't trade mine for nothing and I plan to get at least one more black finish and one satin.

Save up for the HEST there under 200 i think there 150 or 175 I paid 250 for my LE and imo it's worth every penny. I still also carry my izzy sometimes. But my 3 just sits in one of my bags for the most part.

Thanks for the sugestions so far guys, keep them coming.

I actually gave my Dad a Rat-1 for christmas. I do really like it, but the handle is a bit on the slippery side.

Another thing, I really dont like back locks, like the ones on the CS American lawman or the spyderco enduras. i will edit my first post to reflect that.

I love my HEST/F. However, a good value in large tough folders that is often overlooked is the CRKT M16 and M21 series. I have an M16-14M and a M21-14DSFG and I've been very happy with both. The M16-14M is long discontinued (though worth it if you can find it), but other models from the M16/M21 series can be had pretty cheap. I think I paid $60 for the M21 on Knifeworks.

Some people on here talk down about CRKT, but the M16/M21 series is solid and does the job well.

I think the ZT 350 would fit nicely and you can pick up a new one just slightly above your $100. It comes with the same build quality as a ZT 300. I own both and the ZT 350 is what I always carry, because it fits nicely deep in the front pocket of my jeans. The 300 on the other side fits as well, but is quite bulky in the front pocket and easy to spot.. maybe I shouldn't wear tight jeans ;) but the 300 is usually in the Maxpedition bag while the 350 is always in my pocket..

you can do worse than an Ontario/RAT Model 1 folder. The steel is AUS 8, and it is hell for stout.

Back