Like minded gentlemen.... I need your opinion. (Heavy duty folder)

I'd go with the ZT 0350 for a great EDC folder. I've carried mine everyday for about 2 years and put it through hell and back with it just laughing at me. If you look around you can find one for around $130 new. It is a little heavier compared to some folders but it's built like a tank. Plus it's got a great opening system that pops it open in a flash with a flick of your finger. It also has titanium liners that are damn near rust proof and lock the blade open.

I'm pretty sure the liners on the 0350 are 410 ss. I did get mine for under 100 bucks new.

I have three of those you mentioned:

Spyderco Tenacious - great knife for the money.

Spyderco Resilience - larger than the Tenacious. I really like this knife but on days like today when I had to go to Nashville I had to leave it at home. Tennessee has a 4" blade law.

Ontario RAT-1 - I actually have three of these. These are such a great buy I don't understand why everybody doesn't have one.

I'lll probably get a little hate here, too, but I've been carrying a Buck/TOPS CSAR-T since they came out. It's a thick, heavy brute of a knife. It locks up tight, but I wish the lock were a little more stout. They just changed the scales, so the price came down some.
I recently got a CSAR-T Responder and I have to say I was impressed. It was well north of $100, though.

If you like the ZT line, definitely look into the ZT0350. You can contact Kershaw Guy, (BladeForums Member) he deals in all things Kershaw. When I bought my 0301 and 0350, I seem to recall the 0350 was less than 100.
The 0301 is a bit on the large side, I am fine with it for EDC, but around sheeple in may raise some eyebrows, and it is a good bit pricier.

SJ

+1 on the ZT 0350. I have been carrying one for about a month and a half.
You can find them for around $100

ZT0350CB2blade.jpg

I think for best buys out there right now are the Kershaw and ZT line up. Kershaw is coming out with some new stuff and the price is more than fair and they are made with good materials.

I'm pretty sure the liners on the 0350 are 410 ss. I did get mine for under 100 bucks new.

I think you might be right, I looked again and found sites that say both. The ZT site says some others are, but nothing on that model. The price has really gone down since I bought mine, you can get them for about $100 now. My bad. Thanks for letting me know.:D

The thread title is "heavy duty folder". Keeping that in mind, I would not recommend the skyline (which you list as a possibility). It is an excellent knife but not one that I would call heavy duty.

The resilience blade is huge, not sure if you'd like that.
The ZT is also a big knife. Also in the upper end of your price range.
I found the mini grip's handle to be too small to use comfortably. You may have been looking at the regular size though, not sure.
People are recommending the delica but I wouldn't. It surely is a nice knife but there are better for cheaper, in my opinion. The blade seems short and stubby to me (the tip actually is rounded!). It's also a back lock design, something that you said you were trying to avoid.
I've never owned/held an Endura but that might fit your bill. Keep in mind it also has a rounded tip.

It sounds like you'd like to keep it as cheap as possible. Why not try the tenacious? It is very cliche around these boards to recommend the Tenacious to someone who asks for a cheap folder that just works. But then again, why do you think cliches become cliches? Because most of the time, they are true! The tenacious is an all around great blade. I've used it pretty hard and it always stands strong. Really easy to sharpen also.

Last edited:
my vote goes to the zt0301 - i edc a zt0302 and simply stopped looking for another/any folder ever since! money well spent...

Spyderco Delica w/ffg or try the Ontario Utilitac 2 I have a review on my youtube page I really like it and it can take a thumpin.......

I just got a ontario rat 1, the thing is a beast, for 29 dollars its hard to beat. i always shy away from twain made folders(cough kabar, cough) but this one is great, iv had it for two days and have beat the crap out of it as my edc knife in the kitchen. Only time will tell my thoughts about it in the end but for the past two days, all this knife has done is impress me, and thats hard to do. Oh and the edge otb is the sharpest pocket knife i have ever recieved otb.

Go for a paramilitary 2!!! they are awesome knives, and i think that you will really like the strength of the comp lock!

I know you said that you didn't want a back lock, but spyderco does a fantastic job on them, and once a knife is broken in, it can be one handedly opened and closed very easily and quickly. Even something like a delica can get flicked open. I don't think that you will be sorry to spend a little more money to get a piece that will be nicer than some cheaper folders. Price difference between a Tenacious and a delica is like $20 and the delica is much nicer!!! better steel etc.

I know you specified non-stainless but I've carried a Leatherman folder I picked up in Oregon in 2008 pretty much non-stop and it's never failed me in anything I've put it through. EDC, small camp things, rafting, you name it. I don't know the exact model but it seems to be closest to the Leatherman c302 but with an addition of two screwdrivers. Unfortunately, that model hs been discontinued but the Crater series is just as good. As well as quite a bit larger.

another para 2 fan..
that said..
you can find a Ritter Benchmade for a little bit over 100. s30v steel, axis lock..whats not to love?

I'm very pleased with my Spyderco Military
also I have an older cold steel recon 1, its big, heavy, and can take a beating.

Why are people recommending knives that clearly do not fit the OP's requirements/guidelines?

Back