Like the Comet Halley

I'm making a swing back around "Becker Town" again.

No, it hasn't been 75 years since my last pass. I actually here quite often.
just kind of quiet. Loke a comet passing in the night.

What spurred this latest lap around Becker Town??

Well, the trigger may be the Harpoon Tweener. I really like the looks of this one.
Tweener handles are a no brainer. The curved blade shape intrigues me.
And I crazy excited about the Sheath!

So I have been occasionally looking at the for sale forum for BK-18.
That cost me some $$$ today. There was a NIB BK-17, a Becker that has eluded me.
And a NIB BK-16. So I snagged both.

I have an older 16, but it came to me used, stripped, and re-profiled.
The thought of having a new one as a blank canvas was appealing.

I always wanted a 17, But I bought the 15 first, and then the 16. The 17 was discontinued before I got to it.

During me away time, I have dabbled in all sorts of other blades. High End Puukkos, Top tier Bushcraft Blades, Scandi Grinds, Conved Blades, you name it, I tried it.

My findings?? They all work. Some work better for some tasks than others.
Shocking I know.

When I was young, we had internal combustion engines. They still exist, but they are endangered. Back in the day, ours were fed by mixing air and gas in contraptions that sat on top of the intake manifold. Carburetors they were called. They were part Mechanical, part VooDoo. But they worked.

At least until people started to screw with them. From the factory, most carburetors were tuned to do everything well. You could re-jet them. You might gain some low end power, some high end revs, or better mid range. But when you gained somewhere, you gave up something else. It was all a trade off.

This is how I have come to view all knives. and Beckers as well.
You can tweak them for better performance, but you will sacrifice somewhere else.

I see Beckers as having a very good factory tuned carburetors. Tuned to give me the most out of the knife across a very wide rev range. Perhaps not the best anywhere, but extremely good everywhere. Like tuning a carb, building a knife that covers a wide range of tasks is no easy challenge.

This versatility is what keeps me coming back to KA-BAR and Becker Knives.
In reality, they just plain rock. They excel at almost every task, yet they are well rounded and cover a vast amount of knife work.

They may not shave wood like a $400.00 Finish Puukko. But you won't want to beat that Puukko through a seasoned and knotted piece of hard maple.

When you think about the value wrapped up in a Becker Knife, it's hard to beat. But beyond that, they perform very well right out of the box.

If this comes off making me sound like a fan-boy, then so be it. The respect was earned as my Beckers were tested against some very expensive and renowned knives.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Beckers are some no frills, get the job done knives. :thumbsup:

I'm making a swing back around "Becker Town" again.

No, it hasn't been 75 years since my last pass. I actually here quite often.
just kind of quiet. Loke a comet passing in the night.

What spurred this latest lap around Becker Town??

Well, the trigger may be the Harpoon Tweener. I really like the looks of this one.
Tweener handles are a no brainer. The curved blade shape intrigues me.
And I crazy excited about the Sheath!

So I have been occasionally looking at the for sale forum for BK-18.
That cost me some $$$ today. There was a NIB BK-17, a Becker that has eluded me.
And a NIB BK-16. So I snagged both.

I have an older 16, but it came to me used, stripped, and re-profiled.
The thought of having a new one as a blank canvas was appealing.

I always wanted a 17, But I bought the 15 first, and then the 16. The 17 was discontinued before I got to it.

During me away time, I have dabbled in all sorts of other blades. High End Puukkos, Top tier Bushcraft Blades, Scandi Grinds, Conved Blades, you name it, I tried it.

My findings?? They all work. Some work better for some tasks than others.
Shocking I know.

When I was young, we had internal combustion engines. They still exist, but they are endangered. Back in the day, ours were fed by mixing air and gas in contraptions that sat on top of the intake manifold. Carburetors they were called. They were part Mechanical, part VooDoo. But they worked.

At least until people started to screw with them. From the factory, most carburetors were tuned to do everything well. You could re-jet them. You might gain some low end power, some high end revs, or better mid range. But when you gained somewhere, you gave up something else. It was all a trade off.

This is how I have come to view all knives. and Beckers as well.
You can tweak them for better performance, but you will sacrifice somewhere else.

I see Beckers as having a very good factory tuned carburetors. Tuned to give me the most out of the knife across a very wide rev range. Perhaps not the best anywhere, but extremely good everywhere. Like tuning a carb, building a knife that covers a wide range of tasks is no easy challenge.

This versatility is what keeps me coming back to KA-BAR and Becker Knives.
In reality, they just plain rock. They excel at almost every task, yet they are well rounded and cover a vast amount of knife work.

They may not shave wood like a $400.00 Finish Puukko. But you won't want to beat that Puukko through a seasoned and knotted piece of hard maple.

When you think about the value wrapped up in a Becker Knife, it's hard to beat. But beyond that, they perform very well right out of the box.

If this comes off making me sound like a fan-boy, then so be it. The respect was earned as my Beckers were tested against some very expensive and renowned knives.
Good to see you around LV :thumbsup::thumbsup: I’ve enjoyed reading all of your posts :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is a great version of a Mary Chapin Carpenter song about the comet Haley.
Worth a listen. Some great music videos coming out of this quarantine. Lots of bored musicians out there.

Back