Lil, Ferox Pass Around

Just arrived to me...me likee!

Feels great in the hand and is just wickedly alive in the hand. :thumbsup:

Look forward to checking it out!

Also- great job to whoever sharpened it, it's got a screaming edge...

Last edited:
Just arrived to me...me likee!

Feels great in the hand and is just wickedly alive in the hand. :thumbsup:

Look forward to checking it out!

Also- great job to whoever sharpened it, it's got a screaming edge...

;-) that would be me ! ha

Enjoy it! Glad it made it to you safe and sound.

Alright, time for some more pics and few thoughts. I jacked up my ankle and foot last month and am limited with what I can do I'm sorry to say...

But...here's a pic of smaller sibling- easy to see they share the same genes.

rzlELzS.jpg

Here's apic with some other knives that have bad intentions...I've been buying knives the last year or two like I'm going to be in the next Machete movie. IDK why..some kind of phase I guess! They are from top to bottom: Jim Bensinger Street Barong, Winkler Knives Operator and Josh Mason Kwaiken.

CGOQm0l.jpg

And here it is with the two knives that are my primary choices in the even I catch a deployment- Swamp Rat Bandicoot and Winkler Belt Knife.

3AA7cgu.jpg

I had done some testing with most of these against cardboard boxes- practicing thrusts, right to left downward 45 degree slashes, left to right, snap cuts...etc...
Out of my knives the Barong has been king, si I figured I would test the Ferox against the top dog.

A thrust...Barong is one on top...better penetration and wider wound channel...

ac23QKh.jpg

Slash with Barong up top....far longer slash and ease of slash with barong was notable...

Q0oItyi.jpg

Snap cut with Ferox being top one...it cut superficially with barong penetrating.

yoxR2b3.jpg

However, as I continued to cut, the Ferox really picked up speed and laid out some nasty long, powerful and penetrating cuts. While it didn't keep up with the Barong- I know it left my other knives behind. I don't know a thing about the barong style, but tend to suspect all that belly and curved blade is just an uber efficient cutting design. The ferox also benefited from a nice thin grind. It's cuts on the card board were just super clean and as I finished off the box for recycling, it just glided through the material.

I've done some drills with the Ferox but am limited by the bum foot. However, it is quite fast in hand- not as quick as the Barong again, but just a smidge behind. It may benefit from having the scales be a bit rougher to make it more seure in hand. The Kwaiken is super fast too- but it also weighs nothing and handles very differently.

Like it's little brother the Raptor, the Ferox has a great feel and I totally love the handle design. From the moment I picked it up, I found it a pleasure to handle and my opinion hasn't changed. The Raptor actually is probably by favorite fixed blade for pure feel.

I hope to do some more with the Ferox and will report back. Thanks for letting me be part of the pass around!

Here are a couple more pics of the Ferox and Street Barong to see what different animals they are...

9chV5vo.jpg

08i9L0m.jpg

Alright, time for some more pics and few thoughts.

And here it is with the two knives that are my primary choices in the even I catch a deployment- Swamp Rat Bandicoot and Winkler Belt Knife.

3AA7cgu.jpg

OT, but would you mind pm-ing me your impressions of the Winkle belt knife. I've been thinking about getting one to go with my Hunter's axe.

No problem- I really like it a lot and it's a fav. Feels great, like the steel, it's a looker and overall great combat/utility knife with an awesome sheath to boot. It comes pretty thick behind the edge, but I knocked it down which helps.

Guys I apologize I wasn't able to do anything with the knife. I am a baseball coach and we are in the middle of the season so I just haven't had time to go out. I will pack it up and get it sent out to the next in line. I haven't touched the edge or anything so FG you will be getting one heck of a sharp knife.

Guys I apologize I wasn't able to do anything with the knife. I am a baseball coach and we are in the middle of the season so I just haven't had time to go out. I will pack it up and get it sent out to the next in line. I haven't touched the edge or anything so FG you will be getting one heck of a sharp knife.
On its way soon I hope to FeralGentleman FeralGentleman

I do not think the mini-Ferox could have arrived at a worse time given the holidays, traveling, a death and sickness. Aside from some minor things, I have not had a chance to give it a fair shake. I'll do my best to find time over the weekend, otherwise I'll send her off to the next stop.

In the meantime, the package did arrive however many weeks ago right before I was getting ready to make dinner. So off it went to the kitchen...

Chana Masala around here has become like a Taco Tuesday. Usually I go overboard with the spicy so the kids mostly pass other than cherry picking some chickpeas, yet it is a real simple, one pot dish that is basically a chickpea stew curry. I will do my best to replicate our recipe below, but I may have missed a photo or two as my wife was not too fond of me spending more time snapping pics than preparing dinner.

Start off heating a pot on medium/medium high heat. While things are warming up, you will want to chop up an onion or two

27559586688_920500aea8_c.jpg

Add 3 tbs of grapeseed oil to the heated pot and toss in the chopped onion along with 1 tbs of ground cumin and a pinch of salt. Stir.

26560673647_5378f59a41_c.jpg

While the onions are simmering, grab 6-7 garlic cloves, 2 tbs fresh chopped ginger, a handful of fresh cilantro, and 2-3 chopped chiles (seeds included for more kick or you can remove. I used Jalapenos this go around)

41389593312_9b9f2c78f1_c.jpg

41389590752_df7f7ac5d5_c.jpg

Place everything into your mortar and grind away. Or... be lazy like myself and put it all in a food processor or Vitamix.

40717611884_0b1383116d_c.jpg

Shoot for either a fine paste or a loose mince - both are good. You don't have to be exact here.

27559591578_329cdda257_c.jpg

Photos beyond this point are in short supply. Even with a combat kitchen knife at my disposal, little mongrels searching for delicate morsels and an increasingly agitated hungry momma hen I was not overly confident of my chances.

Stir your pot then add 1 tbs ground coriander, 1 tsp tumeric powder, 1 tsp dark chili powder and stir to coat. Add oil if needed then throw in canned pureed or petit diced tomatoes (28ish ounces) along with 30 ounces of canned chickpeas (drained). Stir. Add a small amount of water if things are looking dry. Increase heat to a good simmer then reduce to low or med/low and cook uncovered for 20 minutes until it thickens into a stew. Stir occasionally.

39622917200_184f639592_c.jpg

After things have simmered real nice, adjust spices as need (salt, chili powder for heat etc). Turn off the stove and put in 2+ tbs of lemon juice and 1 tsp - 1 tbs of garam masala to taste. Recipes for garam masala can be found online. The pre-mixed spices usually all taste a little different and some are hotter than others.

Serve on its own with plain yogurt or over rice or roasted broccoli. We liked enough to make twice and then some.

Now the mini-Ferox. While it is not a first or maybe any choice kitchen knife, unless your are cooking in Syrian suburbs... or Chicago, preparing a simple meal can tell you a lot about a blade. From various holds often used in kitchen settings you easily gain a feel for the balance and how the grind of the blade interacts with various mediums. You also gain a good sense of the handle design while cutting with dry, wet or even slimy hands (dat chickpea juice) commonly experienced in the kitchen.

No surprise to anyone familiar with Chris' edge geometry, the mini-Ferox chops, cuts, and slices with ease. Small, thin, children knives are hot right now. Almost too hot to touch, but this mini-Ferox is not one of them in its svelte 3/16" stock yet its cutting performance was not bad at all compared to thinner and narrow bladed knives. The offset handle design and pronounced guard area provide a overly secure gripping surface. The balance, to me, feels slightly forward of what I call a neutral grip (forefinger balanced in a hammer grip) so there is that urge to swing. The O1 on this knife, not Chris' typical CPM-154, held up nicely opening three large cans and realigned with minimal honing.

40536899935_d3e14532f3_c.jpg

I hope to add more if I get the opportunity to field the knife for anything substantial but so far I like the design and the size in relation to the larger Ferox. Thank you Chris for the opportunity and to all who have contributed so far. I do apologize again for the delayed comments to this post, when it rain it pours.

Last edited:
Back