Lil, Ferox Pass Around

Great pics and cooking. :thumbsup:

It is such a great looking knife. I remember thinking when I had it that it was like a do all knife from years ago...good to prep food with, could clean game, work a camp site and defend yourself in a pinch.

Don't remember if I said so in my review that the handle design is just incredible.

I Volunteer!

that's a no brainer eh??

I would like to participate. Been very interested in this design and the bigger Ferox, but prefer stainless. So a good opportunity to see what I think of the design first.

Too bad about the banding... I feel like this knife would be really cool to check out, but I have no clue what sort of testing I would do with it. Maybe if this was going on this fall I could ambush a wild hog or something haha! I feel like that's what this knife need to be used for, pig stickin'! Right @Southern Gent? ;)

Chris if there are slots left, I'd love to participate!

Count me in please! I'm itching to see this one.

I'm in if you got space!

I'm in if there is room.

I have 6 Lil, Ferox almost Ready for Handles. I will be writing a thread today! You Gentleman have dibs on the Lil Ferox Custom Order list
there are seven of you so first come first serve amoung you 7, if all seven want one I will take care of you but all I have is 6 in CPM154 and the pass around one at the moment. Please let me know if any of you know for sure Yes or No

I have 6 Lil, Ferox almost Ready for Handles. I will be writing a thread today! You Gentleman have dibs on the Lil Ferox Custom Order list
there are seven of you so first come first serve amoung you 7, if all seven want one I will take care of you but all I have is 6 in CPM154 and the pass around one at the moment. Please let me know if any of you know for sure Yes or No

I'm excited to see these, but in honesty it will depend on handles and pricing in relation to my budget. I love your work, but fixed blades of this size are a low-use item for me, and I would need to find leather as well.

I'm excited to see these, but in honesty it will depend on handles and pricing in relation to my budget. I love your work, but fixed blades of this size are a low-use item for me, and I would need to find leather as well.

Thank you! I am writing a thread that will have some examples of configs and prices accross the board that way you can get a good since of what you are choosing will cost before you commit.

I should have it up in an hour or two. I will leave it locked until probably Friday. I want to wait to hear back from the rest of the individuals here as to if they are going to call dibs or not.

Custom order Thread is up! Please Pm me to let me know if you will be calling dibs on your spot or not and to work out your handle selection. I will take your order now!!

I will open the thread to the general public on Friday Sept 14 at 8pm to fill any unclaimed spots.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for thinking about us! My knife budget is kaput right now but I appreciate the chance.

And it's a great knife. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

The passaround Ferox has been with @Choppaman for some time now. I see that he has jumped in on the custom order list, so that may give some indication on how he liked the knife. I personally was surprised by it. The larger Ferox is just a beast of a blade, but has zero practical purpose for me to actually put any effort into owning one. This smaller variation on the other hand immediately jumped out at me as to something I would consider purchasing in this style of knife.

My experience with this handle variation on the Recon has been positive. No doubt, this slightly compacted version on the mini Ferox would be familiar and comfortable. My only issue with the smaller sized handle was it being a little tight in a “chest-lever” style grip.

I had plans to do some projects with this knife, but as most things around here that went out of the window. Rather than a series of contrived scenarios for the purpose of posting something, I simply just carried the knife whenever reasonably possible. For me that means it was used, however practical for this blade type, in the kitchen, woods, fire prepping, construction and normal daily cutting.

Simply, the knife held its own in whatever I was doing with it. Anyone that knows me, given a good heat treat with a proper edge; all the other little points often nitpicked about and fleshed out for magazine articles take care of themselves. Sure, some patterns and blade stocks perform more efficiently than others, big knives can do things little knives cannot but not necessarily vise-a-versa, etc etc. but at the end of the day a fillet knife can make a notch too.

What I like about this knife is that it is a reflection of the care and thought that Chris puts into his knife designs and their applications. He took a knife inspired from his past experiences as a military and combative working tool and offered it in a design that would be more practical to the everyday man such as myself. The handle has a great grip and ergonomics, albeit if it was any shorter I would have issues with it with my hand size. The overall length of the blade is just right for a larger, small knife. There are some settings in my location that I’d be asking for problems to open carry this but it is not overly large for a small to mid-sized knife that it isn’t hard to conceal. The mini Ferox is definitely one to consider if this style of knife suits you. As far as edge geometry and heat treat, I think those familiar with Osprey Knife and Tools already have those boxes checked off for any of Chris Linton’s creations.

Some borderline obnoxious measurements on the mini Ferox. Obviously handmade variation will occur, but this may give anyone who values this sort of information some idea on handle and blade dimensions.

Mini Ferox

3/16" (.183") 01 Tool steel Tapered Tang, 8.32oz OAL 10" Blade 5 1/2"

Steel: 3/16" (0.183”) 0.187” at thickest point O1 Tool Steel, Tapered Tang (0.067”), 0.034” at thickest spot at tip
1.642” height at Ricasso
0.886” fat part of handle tapering down to 0.720” at the front and curved contouring to a flared 0.958” butt.
1.138” tall thickest point on the belly, 0.972 front, 1.012” rear, 1.639” flare

Grind: Flat
Handle Material: natural canvas micarta over white g10 liners, ¼” natural canvas pins and natural canvas lanyard hole
OAL 10”
Blade 5 ½” (5 3/16” actual cutting edge)
Weight: 7.67 ounces (8.32 oz per Chris) 10.84 oz with sheath, 12.38 oz with sheath and dangler

Sheath
Maker: Jou’fuu Leather
Style: fold over belt sheath with removable dangler, color?
Weight: 3.17 ounces, 4.71 oz with dangler

Apologies for no real review here, but in any case here are a bunch of random photos from my FeralGentleman FeralGentleman Instagram account.

42738173854_a8768c3e95_c.jpg

Thanks for sharing this Danny!
The pictures themselves are worth a 1000 words!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I am glad you enjoyed carrying it around, and found it useful and applicable to your current situation. I appreciate the feedback and I am most certain others will find this review useful as well.

The pass around knife has made it back to me, and I can see it was put to some good use! That makes me happy happy happy!!!:D

Thanks again to everyone who, participated and contributed your part in the pass around and review!

I'd love a chance to try it out!!
Of course that’s done now, the pass around. And that knife has an owner now. I’ll tell you, as the first person to try the knife out, it is more than one imagines in terms of ergonomics and functionality! Chris Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool has recently completed a Run of the lil ferox, all stunningly beautiful. You can check them out on Instagram under using a search for “Osprey Knife and Tool “ or on his website https://ospreyknifeandtool.com/

Last edited:
I'd love a chance to try it out!!

Sent you an email in regards to this just a minute ago

Of course that’s done now, the pass around. And tge knife has an owner now. I’ll tell you, as the first person to try the knife out, it is more than one imagines in terms of ergonomics and functionality! Chris Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool has recently completed a Run of the lil ferox, all stunningly beautiful. You can check them out on Instagram under using a search for “Osprey Knife and Tool “ or on his website https://ospreyknifeandtool.com/

I appreciate you giving him a heads up for me Douglas! :thumbsup: (We need Fist Bump Emojis):D:cool:

Back