Limbuwan for 1/23

Yangdu

Himalayan Imports Owner ~ himimp@aol.com
19 inch 21 ounce villager fit and finish Limbuwan by Ram Kumar. Sandan wood handle. Horn handle karda chakma with white metal fitting. Leather sheath. Lite and sharp blade!
Rare one for your collection at $199. *SOLD*
Thank you, George
SfiLrff.jpg

D4p402L.jpg

Email to himimp@aol.com to order
First come first served

Last edited:
EMS 19 inch 21 ounce villager fit and finish Limbuwan by Ram Kumar. Chandan wood handle. Horn handle karda chakma with white metal fitting. Leather sheath. Lite and sharp blade!
Rare one for your collection at $199

Got the DD! Yay!!

Last edited:
Nice snag, George. The handle looks like dhar wood rather than chandan, but impossible to tell for sure from a photo. Dhar wood is probably just as good as chandan, just not as rare. I believe chandan is classified as an endangered species in Nepal, but that might have changed.

Nice snag George! Very nice!
Yep I think Chandan is same as sandlewood. Funny I thought the same David but I dont see it on CITES or IUCN list?
OK... Duckduckgo time.

"Santalum album is recognized as a "vulnerable" species by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN)"

I dont even see it listed on CITES?
https://www.fws.gov/international/plants/current-cites-listings-of-tree-species.html

Little mention of Nepal except for this pic of the fruit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santalum_album#/media/File:Santalum_album_Fruit_Krish.jpg

Looks like dar wood to me to.

Chandan wood (aka sandalwood) is listed as vulnerable, which is a step below endangered. Nevertheless, I believe that the Nepal government made the use and export of chandan wood illegal some years ago. Here is a 2009 article from "The Economic Times." I can't vouch for that source, but the article is consistent with what I've seen:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/red-sandalwood-indo-china-smuggling-via-nepal-is-getting-upward-swing/articleshow/4521629.cms

Red Sandalwood Indo-China smuggling via Nepal is getting upward swing

The turmoil in Nepal following the political crisis may give a fresh impetus to the high-volume Indo-China red sandalwood smuggling via Nepal

SILIGURI: The turmoil in Nepal following the political crisis may give a fresh impetus to the high-volume Indo-China red sandalwood smuggling via Nepal.

"The smuggling of red sandalwood is a major concern for us. Our intelligence reports and recent incidents indicate that it is on the upswing," said officials in the Sasastra Seema Bal (SSB) that guards the Indo-Nepal border. As a matter of fact, the seizure of red sandalwood has become a common issue all along the porous Indo-Nepal border. Apparently, it is much in demand, for the wood is used to make butts of guns.

According to SSB and Nepal security agencies, over 1000 metric ton of red sandalwood has been seized during the last year from both sides of the border....

"The trade won't stop unless we can break the buying chain," said Mr N Chhetri of Nepal Customs.

While talking to ET about the possible buyers, a senior intelligence official specializing in cross-border smuggling prevention said, "Due to less fragrance but equal curving capacity and strength, red sandalwood is preferred for making butts of firearms. China is one of the largest buyers. Now since all attention is focused on political developments in Kathmandu, the grey trade operatives are likely to increase their activities."

The consignments generated largely as a result of illegal Indian felling in Karnataka first get routed to Nepal through the porous Indo-Nepal border along UP, Bihar or West Bengal. From there, these get into China through Tatopani on Arniko Highway in North Nepal, the largest Sino-Nepal trade point. These help the operatives in avoiding other conventional and heavily-guarded trade routes.

Chandan wood (aka sandalwood) is listed as vulnerable, which is a step below endangered. Nevertheless, I believe that the Nepal government made the use and export of chandan wood illegal some years ago. Here is a 2009 article from "The Economic Times." I can't vouch for that source, but the article is consistent with what I've seen:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/red-sandalwood-indo-china-smuggling-via-nepal-is-getting-upward-swing/articleshow/4521629.cms

Red Sandalwood Indo-China smuggling via Nepal is getting upward swing

The turmoil in Nepal following the political crisis may give a fresh impetus to the high-volume Indo-China red sandalwood smuggling via Nepal

SILIGURI: The turmoil in Nepal following the political crisis may give a fresh impetus to the high-volume Indo-China red sandalwood smuggling via Nepal.

"The smuggling of red sandalwood is a major concern for us. Our intelligence reports and recent incidents indicate that it is on the upswing," said officials in the Sasastra Seema Bal (SSB) that guards the Indo-Nepal border. As a matter of fact, the seizure of red sandalwood has become a common issue all along the porous Indo-Nepal border. Apparently, it is much in demand, for the wood is used to make butts of guns.

According to SSB and Nepal security agencies, over 1000 metric ton of red sandalwood has been seized during the last year from both sides of the border....

"The trade won't stop unless we can break the buying chain," said Mr N Chhetri of Nepal Customs.

While talking to ET about the possible buyers, a senior intelligence official specializing in cross-border smuggling prevention said, "Due to less fragrance but equal curving capacity and strength, red sandalwood is preferred for making butts of firearms. China is one of the largest buyers. Now since all attention is focused on political developments in Kathmandu, the grey trade operatives are likely to increase their activities."

The consignments generated largely as a result of illegal Indian felling in Karnataka first get routed to Nepal through the porous Indo-Nepal border along UP, Bihar or West Bengal. From there, these get into China through Tatopani on Arniko Highway in North Nepal, the largest Sino-Nepal trade point. These help the operatives in avoiding other conventional and heavily-guarded trade routes.
Thank you David. I sent an email to Ms Yangdu concerning this and will report ASAP!

This could likely be very old new stock. She may have had this around from before all this came up. I know she posted about all this long ago.

This is the literal response from Ms Yangdu.
“Ram Kumar said it is chandan wood from his wood collection

Thank you
Yangdu”

I’ll take her word for it!
Thank you Auntie!!

Last edited:
When I talked to Ms Yangdu and told her I want it, she told me the region this style was made and that it was light...more like a weapon! I can’t wait to see!

I've got one, it's like a siru/kobra hybrid on steroids.

It was too pretty to use, so I just admire it from time to time...lol

I've got one, it's like a siru/kobra hybrid on steroids.

It was too pretty to use, so I just admire it from time to time...lol
Cul, what is it you don’t have...maybe 3 40” Sirupatis?Hahahahaha
Question? Is the Tarwar’s edge made for chopping?

Last edited:
This is an elegant knife. The only thing that would enhance it more if it had a cho like Thamar!

Tarwars are heavy blades with convex edges that can chop very well. On the plus side they have handles long enough for a two-handed grip. On the minus side they are heavy and long. The length will give you a powerful swing in an open area, but would be a handicap in confined spaces where there is lots of close vegetation.

In general I'd say the Tarwar is mostly a weapon, and an intimidating one at that, but it can double as a heavy chopper if you have only the one blade. It would take strong arms and good cardio to swing this blade for an extended period of time, like clearing a sizable area.

This Tarwar, by Lokendra kami, is 29" OAL, which is typical for the model, but it weighs a whopping 59 oz, much heavier than most Tarwars. It's too heavy to be practical as a chopper, but I wouldn't give much chance to anything that got in its way.

Tarwar29-Lokendra59oz-02cr.jpg

Thank you David and Cul for all of this info. It just seems heavy and strong enough to do some serious cutting, if need be!

Back