Liner Lock Failure

:confused:
I recently purchased a DZ-5126-VG
from the Delta-Z web site. I was very pleased with the overall quality of the materials and the fit and finish was excelent. However, while I don't perform "spine wack tests", I was playing with opening and closing the blade, and was suprised to find that I could defeat the lock and close the knife with a minimal amount of pressure. I returned the knife and was sent a replacement, which the person I spoke with told me he selected from out of three potential canditates. This one is only a slighty better than the first. I am very disapointed and although I want to carry this one, I don't feel confident in the lock. This knife looks more tactical than it does gents pocket folder so I think the lock should be able to resist a reasonable amount of force without closing.

Joe Liguori

I had a similar experience. I ordered two knives from Delta Z. The first was a DZ 6101-HC. The quality is very nice.

Next I ordered a DZ 6101-OB. The liner lock was really weak and poorly made. Not nearly the quality of the first knife. Anyway, I sent it back and got a full credit. I did not want a replacement.

Dear Joe,

I'm sorry to hear about that problem. I relates to the material of the liner being made of stainless steel (instead of titanium), as well as the angle of the lockup mating. All new production has been modified, and it has only happened rarely. Maybe 2-3 times from close to 1,000 liner locks sold of that style. This problem was "model specific" and not pervasive throughout our entire line.

Our new production, such as the Osprey designed by Darrel Ralph are just fine, as are 95% of our entire line in terms of a moderate (reasonable) spine wack test.

If you wish to return the knife to us please call me at 818 786-9488 to discuss the details of your warranty claim. Please have your invoice number handy when you call.

Thank you very much for your feedback on this matter.

The Delta -Z models that I've had a chance to use have all been top quality. I've used (abused?) a 6122 and 6110 for all sorts of sundry jobs while renovating our house, and I have never had a problem with the locks - or any other component, for that matter.

Back