Liner lock versus frame lock

My latest purchase has taken me out of the realm of budget knives and into premium production knives, it is a liner lock.

I have never seen a frame lock knife but I am told it is superior in most ways to the liner lock....mainly due to it has more material in the way of the tang.

Please state your preference and why including examples. Bonus marks for pics.

I love my Millie and Sage 1, but I have more frame locks (also known as RIL - Reeve Integral Lock):

IMG-1842.jpg

I'll take a linerlock over a frame lock 9 times out of 10.... Mostly just because of the handle symmetry-- aesthetics!!!!!

There's been some debate about the thickness and strength too!!! Just have a look at Bob Terzuola's knives!
He's made tactical blades since before tactical was "TACTICAL"!!!!!!!

I have had both. Of those 2 I prefer frame locks for use. I do think liner locks look nicer though. I have had a few liner locks get loose over time too. I also find its easier for lint or dirt to get in the way of liner locks because they have an extra gap for stuff to fall into.

I own far more framelock folders than linerlock ones because that's what high-quality manufacturers make nowadays (RHK, ZT, CRK, etc). But I think well made linerlock folders like spyderco Military works well too.

If you’re worried about the thickness of the liners which would determine the thickness of the lock bar that contacts the tang there are liner lock knives that are made with thicker lines. For example, Shirogorov although it’s not exactly a starter knife

I much prefer liner locks.
You don’t have to worry about where you place your fingers for the knife to open.

Also the only knives that I can fail with a little tap happen to be frame locks, I have yet to experience that with a liner lock.

I own and have owned many of both and highly favor the framelock. It is comforting to use since your grip helps to hold the locking bar in place during use. Besides I like that it better follows the KISS principle and is easier to maintain.

n2s

I largely forego both liner and frame locks in favor of compression locks, with a sprinkling of Triad locks, Shark locks, and ball bearing locks. It’s really a matter of personal preference though. It’s nice to have so many options to suit different tastes.

My latest purchase has taken me out of the realm of budget knives and into premium production knives, it is a liner lock.

I have never seen a frame lock knife but I am told it is superior in most ways to the liner lock....mainly due to it has more material in the way of the tang.

Please state your preference and why including examples. Bonus marks for pics.
I think calling frame lock design is more 'superior' than a liner lock could be too wide as a blanket statement. In reality, I think there are many factors that may come into play when evaluating a lock(design/material/execution/etc), and personally, assuming everything is well designed and executed, I would think the difference between Tri-ad/lockback vs liner/framelock would be more than the difference between liner vs framelock. YMMV.

I was recently using a large Civivi liner lock knife to chop ice off off a commercial walk-in freezer door. I was using the BACK of the blade to whack, and unseated the liner lock. Blade closed onto my thumb, and left a nice clean laceration! Ouch!

Of course I learned my lesson on handling the liner locks with more attention, but I now prefer frame-locks, as they are somewhat more robust.

Back