Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

Great review. It does surprise me how many people either insinuate or come right out and predict that Lion Steel would make this a general production knife. Does nobody have a good grasp on business ethics these days? Why would that even cross one's mind?
I think most people just don't realize it is YOUR exclusive. That it was you who came up with the idea for it and chose Lionsteel to make it for you.:thumbsup:

I can somewhat understand that. When I see an entire production run released to one outlet, and their logo on the blade, with no advertising elsewhere - I just always assume it is an exclusive. I was just curious because I have seen others making request directly to Lion Steel to have the Roundhead made available to their preferred dealer. I guess if you just take Lion Steel's name off the knife it would alleviate that; but that is the part of the etch I am most proud.

Talk to AGRussell about some of their Al Mar "exclusives" that weren't.

It's not obvious from your marketing that it's an exclusive. It's also not always easy to find these Lion Steels on your website, particularly after a run sells out. Right now if one clicks on Lion Steel in your signature, you can't find the product. There is one on the linked page but it goes to "Ooops."

That's actually a good point, Mike. Might be good advertising to have a link that leads to a page showing that these were a special order by your store. knifeswapper knifeswapper .

Talk to AGRussell about some of their Al Mar "exclusives" that weren't.

It's not obvious from your marketing that it's an exclusive. It's also not always easy to find these Lion Steels on your website, particularly after a run sells out. Right now if one clicks on Lion Steel in your signature, you can't find the product. There is one on the linked page but it goes to "Ooops."

A lot of that is to do with right now they're only on early reserve, so you actually have to log in to the CK site to see them now.

That's actually a good point, Mike. Might be good advertising to have a link that leads to a page showing that these were a special order by your store. knifeswapper knifeswapper .

Easier said than done... The current platform won't let you show a product in the catalog that is not in stock... And it won't show a category page if there are no products to show in that category (just get the Oops page).

I did put in a dummy product to get the category page to show again, but I don't like these type of "hacks".

Easier said than done... The current platform won't let you show a product in the catalog that is not in stock... And it won't show a category page if there are no products to show in that category (just get the Oops page).

I did put in a dummy product to get the category page to show again, but I don't like these type of "hacks".

What happens if someone tries to buy that?

Nice!
Sounds like your reviewer did not think too much of the edge it came with. Did you find it lacking, as well?
I never saw the edge it came with. I've always dropped shipped my knives to a pro sharpener in MI as I've yet to find someone of that calibre in my own country. The knife came from him with an edge which lasted all of 3 days (cutting hotdogs, carrots and paper). When challenged the 'pro' blamed M390 for being a 'problem steel' from his experience, blamed the knife and went silent. I'd had a S35VN knife come back from him partially dull but had thought it was a one off as he was very good with 1095/440C/D2. You can draw your own conclusions as to this individual but by that point the knife was sitting on a shelf wearing a hole. It would hold an edge for less time than my SAK. I offered it for review to the channel because it was far better doing something useful/productive than just sitting here looking lonely. He was very interested in reviewing the knife, offered to put a proper edge on it as a thank you and I shipped it out to him.

Thanks for explaining. Sorry to hear of your troubles, especially after the long wait to get it. I'd be interested in your thoughts after you get it back and test it with a better edge.:thumbsup:

Pomsbz Pomsbz I get the impression you need a new sharpening guy generally speaking M390 is a well received steel and I can only come to the 2 conclusions. This individual either doesn't know how to sharpen M390 or has some strange bias against it and won't properly sharpen.

I never saw the edge it came with. I've always dropped shipped my knives to a pro sharpener in MI as I've yet to find someone of that calibre in my own country. The knife came from him with an edge which lasted all of 3 days (cutting hotdogs, carrots and paper). When challenged the 'pro' blamed M390 for being a 'problem steel' from his experience, blamed the knife and went silent. I'd had a S35VN knife come back from him partially dull but had thought it was a one off as he was very good with 1095/440C/D2. You can draw your own conclusions as to this individual but by that point the knife was sitting on a shelf wearing a hole. It would hold an edge for less time than my SAK. I offered it for review to the channel because it was far better doing something useful/productive than just sitting here looking lonely. He was very interested in reviewing the knife, offered to put a proper edge on it as a thank you and I shipped it out to him.
How`s the edge holding today now after the fellow who did the review put one on?

How`s the edge holding today now after the fellow who did the review put one on?
No idea it's still in Australia with said fellow, I slightly forgot to email him my address till today so he couldn't post it back as yet. :)

Pomsbz Pomsbz I get the impression you need a new sharpening guy generally speaking M390 is a well received steel and I can only come to the 2 conclusions. This individual either doesn't know how to sharpen M390 or has some strange bias against it and won't properly sharpen.
There is a 3rd conclusion, there's something wrong with the heat treat of the blade and the guy had actually done an ok job by objective standards. I very much doubt it though and don't expect (i.e. hope not) to see the problems continue once I get it back with a proper edge on it.

True but yeah that seems a unlikely given the issue has happened twice with 2 steels.
I would be very surprised about a single blade only coming out of such a reputable company suddenly having a heat treat issue. Or are there a bunch of us who are suspiciously quiet cause I would have assumed we would have heard by now by an outraged internet? :D:p (in case the internet isn't showing the fact, I'm being sarcastic, I trust Lionsteel more than a guy who says that M390 is a 'problem steel')

Back