lionSteel Beerlow

Mike ( knifeswapper knifeswapper ), these look fantastic and I can't wait to add one to my growing Italian assortment. It's a proven pattern in a very useful configuration.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

the methods of construction used.

Considering that the 2020 Forum knife also used those methods of construction, I'm having a difficult time digesting the complaint. Anyone who finds the knives offensive is welcome to stay out of the thread.

@Camillus can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's the pattern he has an issue with but the methods of construction used.
I see nothing in the pictures that would indicate some extraordinary method of construction that hasn't been used in the past.....is there something thats been missed here?

I see nothing in the pictures that would indicate some extraordinary method of construction that hasn't been used in the past.....is there something thats been missed here?

It has been determined that screwed construction existed in some form or another in the past and on that premise, these particular knives are deemed acceptable to be discussed here on the porch. That said, the type of screws being used (torx heads) raises a lot of eyebrows.

Still, it's a bit of a dead horse being beat on at this point. I like the knives, I think they are easily recognizable as traditional patterns and it's really nice to have a high quality knife with high quality materials as an option in this corner of collecting.

That said, the type of screws being used (torx heads) raises a lot of eyebrows.
LOL.....really? Torx screws? Thats it? They have been around since the late 60s and screw construction for at least 100 years.....
3SrN4Kz.gif

Basically a trimmed down leatherman.

A couple of years ago I pointed out that these knives didn’t comply with the forum rules and that allowing these ‘traditional knives’ onto the porch was a bad idea.

Ditto for the forums’ dealer rules.

Maybe we need a new sub-forum?
What's the name of your new forum going to be? I'll be sure to sign up.

Sidebar: You discussing your new forum may be against the rules.

Very nice looking knives. I have two of this style; one from Lionsteel and one from Viper and I don't ever confuse them with modern knives.

The test they established for whether a knife was a traditional knife or not is if an average user in the 1960s would see anything out of the ordinary about it.

Pretty simple, uncontroversial test.

dealers rules - basically aren’t meant to discuss dealers either positively or negatively. Simple too.
Thanks for the answer, I see your point as being valid. Again I wasn't trying to cause trouble y'all.

Any idea on the cover options yet?

Haven't nailed down any decisions yet.

Any chance a clip point will be available?

GEC has the Beer Scout with the sheepfoot and lionSteel is already producing the jack with a clip from a pattern they produced 3 decades ago. So, just adding to the choices available. And we started the entire line with the spear, so I guess down deep I must favor it.

Any back-of-the-napkin guess when these might be available, Mike?

No idea the way the world is now. Italy is currently getting hit pretty hard.

Thanks for the answer, I see your point as being valid. Again I wasn't trying to cause trouble y'all.

Which point? The point that it is not a controversial test, even though every time it is discussed it is agreed screws pass the test yet gets brought up every time a pot is found that needs stirring? Or the point that a dealer has no right to discuss or post knives?

Looks like a winning to me Mike. I first saw the knife on my phone and thought it was an awl (which I would love) but the cap lifter works too.

Haven't nailed down any decisions yet.

GEC has the Beer Scout with the sheepfoot and lionSteel is already producing the jack with a clip from a pattern they produced 3 decades ago. So, just adding to the choices available. And we started the entire line with the spear, so I guess down deep I must favor it.

No idea the way the world is now. Italy is currently getting hit pretty hard.

Which point? The point that it is not a controversial test, even though every time it is discussed it is agreed screws pass the test yet gets brought up every time a pot is found that needs stirring? Or the point that a dealer has no right to discuss or post knives?
More to the fact that his opinion is as valid and appreciated as anyone else's to me. I do not have to agree with anyone's point of view to feel it has merit for THAT person. I don't have a problem with the knives or their construction, in fact I am planning on buying a copper slim Dom soon. Those would look great in hammered copper btw :D:thumbsup:.

This is going to be a hard one for me to resist! A blade with a nice, usable length and a bottle opener is a potent combination! I wasn’t sure about these modern traditionals, but the build quality and upgraded steel on the 2020 BF knife has me sold!

@Camillus can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's the pattern he has an issue with but the methods of construction used.

If we went by that metric, we wouldn’t allowed to be posting Case/Tony Bose collaborations in here. There definitely weren’t any edm wire cut knives in the 60’s. Heck, we’d even be forbidden from talking about the 2018 BF knife since it uses CPM-154 which didn’t come out until the early 2000’s I believe.

Titanium was available in the 60’s and so were screws. I think we’re splitting hairs when we get into screw head type and stuff, lol.

Back