Lionsteel BestMan Slipjoint

How is it sharpening m390? I don't have any knives with it (obviously) and I'm curious...

If you can match the factory angle, sharpening isn’t too bad. Reprofiling takes a lot longer in my experience, I have reprofiled a few M390 blades previously using the Wicked Edge system.

I'll have to watch these and see what the specifications are.
The black ones look good. My wallet is hoping i won't like them.

Just rolled back into town from Shot. They are @ 3 5/8" and do look a little boxy to the traditional eye. But they really feel nice in hand. The 2blade is more of a clip/wharncliffe 2 spring pen configuration. They remind me a lot of the old Bulldog Groundhog knife. I think they are going to come in around where my barlow / bolus series did on price. I think mid-year release is what we discussed; but I talked so many details this week that I really should start writing stuff down....

Here is a terrible picture I took just for reference while at the show.
51001630_2340117162665251_3324094465634729984_n.jpg

I love the design myself, but it's kind of big for me. 3.75" closed? Would love to see one in person.

I like the look of these, especially the twin blade. I need to see the thickness before I order one though

How is it sharpening m390? I don't have any knives with it (obviously) and I'm curious...

I have two customs and a Microtech in m390. One I've had for a year. The tip got a little dull after some months of work and I used the Sharpmaker starting with diamonds. The other two I occasionally "sharpen" with Case-made hard and Washita stones but haven't really let them get dull. To me, as you would expect, m390 holds an edge long and takes more effort to sharpen when it gets dull, but can be easy if you maintain the edge. That takes minimal effort.

I have two customs and a Microtech in m390. One I've had for a year. The tip got a little dull after some months of work and I used the Sharpmaker starting with diamonds. The other two I occasionally "sharpen" with Case-made hard and Washita stones but haven't really let them get dull. To me, as you would expect, m390 holds an edge long and takes more effort to sharpen when it gets dull, but can be easy if you maintain the edge. That takes minimal effort.

Thanks for the reply. I'm with you on the maintenance aspect. I never let anything get dull. So far, since I'm into traditionals more than anything, a sharpmaker has been all I've needed. It gets my Buck's pretty dang sharp and that's a majority of what I carry. These Lionsteel knives look so sturdy and well built I would love to try one, but as much as I like sharpening I wouldn't want it to be a pain in the @$$ with the equipment I currently have....

Would like to see a pic of the blade well & backspring on the 2-blade knife. They were careful to show just side views in the video.

... but as much as I like sharpening I wouldn't want it to be a pain in the @$$ with the equipment I currently have....
Personally, I've found that M390 gets a great edge when using the med., fine and UF sharpmaker rods. If you don't have a UF rod, get one!
Sounds like you have a fair amount of experience with the Sharpmaker and I'm sure you're aware that success always depends on technique.
Also, for me stropping isn't a requirement, just an added attraction.
I think you'll be happy with the Lionsteel M390. I know I am.
OG

Personally, I've found that M390 gets a great edge when using the med., fine and UF sharpmaker rods. If you don't have a UF rod, get one!
Sounds like you have a fair amount of experience with the Sharpmaker and I'm sure you're aware that success always depends on technique.
Also, for me stropping isn't a requirement, just an added attraction.
I think you'll be happy with the Lionsteel M390. I know I am.
OG

I think I will try some UF rods. The Sharpmaker has worked so well for me that I find myself staying within it's limits as far as steels go. Plus super steels don't really draw me in. Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

Back