Lionsteel BestMan Slipjoint

Right size, right blade selection, and I've been kind of hankering for a traditional with carbon fiber covers. Guess there's no fighting it, I'm going to have to pick up one of the double-enders.

So...um...any word on these? Still on track for May-ish?
:)

Lionsteel put them up on their website:

https://www.lionsteel.it/n/en/product/1866/bm_bestman

There is a configurator; one or two blades and the option to choose one of the five different handles (Carbon fiber, Ebony, Santos, Olive and Micarta).

Delivery seems to be 14 - 21 days. Prices vary depending on the handle materials. 170-180 Euro's for the two blades versions and 138-150 Euro's for the one blade version. The Carbon Fiber and Ebony are the more expensive handles.

Description on the website:

bestMAN is an E.D.C. (Every Day Carry) folding knife born to be your closest friend in the everyday duties. lionSTEEL goes back to the classics, developing a modernized version of this knife with innovative technology and high quality materials.

bestMAN comes either with a single M390 sintered steel Clip blade, or with two M390 sintered steel blades, Clip and Wharncliffe. It is available with 6AI4V titanium bolsters, while the scales can be made of olive wood, santos wood, natural canvas, ebony or carbon fiber.

For its light weight and average dimensions, bestMAN is the new ideal slipjoint knife to carry with you in every situation

bestMAN is supplied in an elegant wooden box.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Blade style: One blade
Blade steel: M390 stainless steel, 59-60 HRC
Bolster: Grey titanium
Handle: Carbon fibre
Clip blade length: 71 mm - 2.80 in.
Wharncliffe blade length: 65.2 mm - 2.57 in.
Total length: 170 mm. - 6.69 in.
Blade thickness: 2.5 mm. - 0.10 in.
Total weight: 68 gr. - 2.40 oz.
Locking system: Slipjoint

- was speaking with them in Italy yesterday and they sent me this.......some of you will be able to go see them first hand for yourselves :thumbsup:

They look nice and solid, am sure they'll be a popular model too, whether single or double blade

newsletter-definitiva.jpg

Last edited:
I think I want one of the two blade models. Just need to decide if I want Ebony or Carbon Fiber.

My olive showed up today, looks fabulous. I'll try to edit later with some pictures. The sheeps is more rounded than I was expecting, like a true sheepsfoot. I guess I was thinking it would be more pointy like the dom, but by no means a bad thing. Kind of reminds me of the blockiness of a congress.

Springs are pretty firm as well, not nail breakers but you certainly feel it hit the half-stops hard (I tend to dislike half-stops, makes the opening/closing feel clunky).

Glad to see that they are finally arriving at US retailers. I picked up an olive wood single blade BestMan at Blade. I handled the two blade models as that was the one I wanted. But decided it was too chunky and I would never carry it. So, I chose the single blade model and it is very well put together with good walk & talk. Blade is centered. I have had mine now for approaching a month now. Hope you guys enjoy yours!

I looked at the carbon fiber and they didn't really sing to me and I like carbon fiber. I think the ebony and olive wood ones will be the best lookers.

Last edited:
I thought with the ti bolsters at both ends, the lighter material really drew my attention. Here's some bad pictures. I should've grabbed my 112 or 110 to compare thickness. It's not as chunky as my 110, but maybe close to the 112. Certainly fills the hand more than my GEC bull moose.

kjW9Vikl.jpg

bestman in the middle, farmer on the left, bull moose on the right. If the bestman was more rounded in the bolsters, it would be pretty closer to the size of the farmer. It fits the slip that's housed my bull moose for 2 years quite snuggly, but it does fit.
Y6QzdGAl.jpg

Anybody know why the back springs are offset on the 2 blade models? Not a complaint. I don't mind it at all. I'm just curious why they were designed that way.
IMG_4889.JPG

Last edited:
Blade tang alignment?

My GEC Moose is the same way, I've never noticed before but it seems normal for opposing end slippies.

ZNSjpVsl.jpg

Thanks! I thought that might be the case but the question came to mind when I didn't have time to check any of my other knives.

Interesting. I've never noticed it before either.

I got this Best Man at just about the perfect time. I've been at work for a little more than an hour and I've got it in my pocket today. When I arrived at 5:00am this morning the thermometer at my desk read 87.2 degrees and it's only going to get hotter in here.

It was like an oven in here yesterday too. I think I'm going to like this M390 stainless steel with a 20% Chromium content.

Thanks! I thought that might be the case but the question came to mind when I didn't have time to check any of my other knives.

Interesting. I've never noticed it before either.

I think the radiused springs make it more noticeable. There's a lot more going on in the lionsteel.

.......how nice :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: looks a great folder indeed

Amazing isn’t it - in the last 5 years I guess, hitherto manufacturers who weren’t really into slippies have realised the swell of enthusiasm (and would suggest tightening knife laws worldwide) and are now producing an even greater spread and choice for us guys n gals.

Long may it continue :)

ps. Was only about 4years ago, was talking to a prominent world stage folder maker who declared slippies were a thing of the past. Hmm :D

Back