Lionsteel BestMan Slipjoint

.......how nice :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: looks a great folder indeed

Amazing isn’t it - in the last 5 years I guess, hitherto manufacturers who weren’t really into slippies have realised the swell of enthusiasm (and would suggest tightening knife laws worldwide) and are now producing an even greater spread and choice for us guys n gals.

Long may it continue :)

ps. Was only about 4years ago, was talking to a prominent world stage folder maker who declared slippies were a thing of the past. Hmm :D
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
danceshout.gif

Reading through this thread again... did your BestMan slippie come in an "elegant" wood box? Mine was in the standard card board at Blade.

Thinking about my comment earlier about carbon fiber scales on this knife. It looks okay and the pictures in this thread reflect it's appearance well. On this knife, I just felt carbon fiber looked too "modern" for it.

Now I'm thinking about a two blade model. The blade choices are what attract me actually. They are very practical and would work very well. I may just have to order a two blade.... have to think about it as my perception at Blade was that I would not carry it. But I do have other chunky knives and certainly a three layer SAK is very chunky.

Reading through this thread again... did your BestMan slippie come in an "elegant" wood box? Mine was in the standard card board at Blade.

Thinking about my comment earlier about carbon fiber scales on this knife. It looks okay and the pictures in this thread reflect it's appearance well. On this knife, I just felt carbon fiber looked too "modern" for it.

Now I'm thinking about a two blade model. The blade choices are what attract me actually. They are very practical and would work very well. I may just have to order a two blade.... have to think about it as my perception at Blade was that I would not carry it. But I do have other chunky knives and certainly a three layer SAK is very chunky.
Mine came in the standard box. Same type of box that my Roundhead Barlows came in. Brown cardboard with Lionsteel written all over it.

The 2-blade bestman is pretty close to a 3-layer SAK, just boxier at the corners where the SAK rounds the corners off. It was bigger than I imagined it, based on the photos, and it kind makes my 81 bull moose feel small... kind of like how the moose makes the possum skinner feel small. It's kind of an interesting set of 2-bladed knives, now that I think of it. Papa moose, mama moose, and baby moose kinda thing.

bikerector bikerector I think your mentioning that it is "close to a three-layer SAK" in thickness will help a lot of people decide between the one or two blade. Obviously it won't be as heavy. Thank you for that comment.

bikerector bikerector I think your mentioning that it is "close to a three-layer SAK" in thickness will help a lot of people decide between the one or two blade. Obviously it won't be as heavy. Thank you for that comment.

Good observation. Maybe I'll dig out my hiker and farmer SAK's when I get home and get some size and weight comparisons. It certainly gives a good reference point for it's real size. I'll have better lighting since it will be during daylight as well, to show off the olive wood slabs.

.......how nice :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: looks a great folder indeed

Amazing isn’t it - in the last 5 years I guess, hitherto manufacturers who weren’t really into slippies have realised the swell of enthusiasm (and would suggest tightening knife laws worldwide) and are now producing an even greater spread and choice for us guys n gals.

Long may it continue :)

ps. Was only about 4years ago, was talking to a prominent world stage folder maker who declared slippies were a thing of the past. Hmm :D

Spyderco has been making slipjoint knives for years. It's just that they don't try to make them traditional. They make them useful and carryable in legally restrictive locales, but with modern methods and materials.

Spyderco has been making slipjoint knives for years. It's just that they don't try to make them traditional. They make them useful and carryable in legally restrictive locales, but with modern methods and materials.

I really like the spyderco slippies as well. I am actually carrying a UKPK today. They tend to look a bit hideous, but that's kind of a spyderco thing right? Function before form. I like using spydercos, I don't always enjoy looking at them.

Good observation. Maybe I'll dig out my hiker and farmer SAK's when I get home and get some size and weight comparisons. It certainly gives a good reference point for it's real size. I'll have better lighting since it will be during daylight as well, to show off the olive wood slabs.
I don't own one of the smaller (sub 111mm) three layer SAKs to be useful in a comparison plus I don't own the two blade Best Man (yet). I'm hoping that the SAK is thicker because I really don't care to carry a three layer sak in my pocket. My chunky observation was just that without anything to compare it to.

I just happen to have Super Tinker on my side as well as the Best Man in my pocket. Unfortunately, I'm at work without a camera or smart phone.

The Best Man is thinner by approximately 1/8 inch.

Although the factory edge is satisfactory on both of my Best Man blades, I'm thinking about giving them a re-profile.

That thought reminded me that I had not yet checked to see how far the tips of the blades rest below the liners in the blade well. I've bought brand new knives before in which the tip of the blade already protrudes above the liner when closed. That usually requires filing the kick (which the Best Mans don't have) to lower the blade and it also can create a risk of blade rap.

I'm happy to report that both blades rest well below the liners leaving plenty of room for many years of sharpening.

What are you guys getting for the behind the edge thickness on these?

Looks nice btw but I probably would just get the single bladed style to keep it trimmer.
G2

What are you guys getting for the behind the edge thickness on these?

Looks nice btw but I probably would just get the single bladed style to keep it trimmer.
G2
Gary, what is the best tool to use for this? A caliper or a micrometer?

I don't own either one but our Quality Inspector at work has both tools. I've already re-profiled my edges but I have another new 2 blader coming next week. If nobody replies with an answer before then I'll see if I can get the measurement.

Any chance of seeing of someone being able to compare one of these to a Case (or similar sized) Congress? Or maybe a Mini Trapper or Canoe?

Back