LionSteel Steels

The values ​​given may vary slightly from production to production while returning the same average values​​.

Here another Bohler K110
http://www.thermacciai.it/images/k110.pdf

On some datasheed of others pruductor you can see values ​​that indicate the minimum and maximum fork.

Here. You can see official chemical composition at page 4 and analysis composition at page 8-9.

http://www.bohler-edelstahl.com/files/K110DE.pdf

Thanks Molletta.

I wanted to confirm that it was indeed Bohler K110. I understand the slight variations in composition. The values I took were from page 4 not the averages on pages 8-9.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in seeing Ankerson's test results as there are not many direct comparison tests using Sleipner, as stated, simply not many using it. More knowledge on it would certainly be a good thing :).

If you like to do...
In test i read that all steel do around 60 cuts.

This test for me is better. A stainlass steel in similar test do 100 cuts.

[video=youtube_share;vTwXo04fT1s]http://youtu.be/vTwXo04fT1s[/video]

Molletta,

The test in the video you included is a LionSteel SR-1 Ti with Sleipner?
What type of rope and thickness?
It says it stopped at 10 minutes. How many cuts?

I want to point out one thing because I do not want that my words are misunderstood.
I wrote several time that Sleipner for me and LionSteel is the best steel. I confirm it again also in this moment for these reason.
The best Steel for lionSteel must have:
- good hardness
- keep the edge for a longer time than possible
- it must be easy to be resharp by final user
- right balance quality/price
- easy availability
It do not means that Sleipner is the first one in every one of these points, but only that if you consider all these points together it is the winner.... But of course it is only a LionSteel opinion, not the real true for everyone.

Molletta,

The test in the video you included is a LionSteel SR-1 Ti with Sleipner?
What type of rope and thickness?
It says it stopped at 10 minutes. How many cuts?

20 mm nautic polyester rope.
660 cuts.

With this rope were see big difference. With some steel while changing sharpening has not managed to make more than 110 cuts.
Sleipner is a well balanced steel in wear and corrosion resistance.

I want to point out one thing because I do not want that my words are misunderstood.
I wrote several time that Sleipner for me and LionSteel is the best steel. I confirm it again also in this moment for these reason.
The best Steel for lionSteel must have:
- good hardness
- keep the edge for a longer time than possible
- it must be easy to be resharp by final user
- right balance quality/price
- easy availability
It do not means that Sleipner is the first one in every one of these points, but only that if you consider all these points together it is the winner.... But of course it is only a LionSteel opinion, not the real true for everyone.

Those are excellent points because there's not one single factor that determines a steel's selection.

20 mm nautic polyester rope.
660 cuts.

With this rope were see big difference. With some steel while changing sharpening has not managed to make more than 110 cuts.
Sleipner is a well balanced steel in wear and corrosion resistance.

Most other tests that I've seen are with manila rope with thicknesses of 10-15mm.

I'll be sending my brand new LionSteel PM2 to Jim Ankerson for his uniform tests within the next couple of days.

Sent my brand new LionSteel Police PM-2 to Jim Ankerson for edge retention testing of Sleipner steel. I'll report back with results and links.

Ankerson finished his testing of LionSteel PM-2 with Sleipner. First he reprofiled it at 15 degrees per side edge. "It did 240 cuts in the coarse edge section, very aggressive cutter." It's his opinion that it would've done much better with M390.

The Testing Process is as follows:

Cutting 5/8" Manila rope on a Scale with wood to cut on. The scale was calibrated for the weight of the wood. Making 3 to 4 slicing cuts from back to tip using the least amount of down force needed to get the starting down force. Once that was established 20 cuts were made then down force was tested again and that continued until 20 LBS was reached.

All the knives started at 14 ~ 15 LBS of down force except for M390 because it cuts so aggressively.

Accuracy is to + or - 10 Cuts and + or - 1 LB of down force or 6%. This was verified doing a blind test of blades of unknown hardness until they were tested after. 2 blades of the same hardness and steel, sharpened the same and same model of knife.

RC hardness is + or - 1 RC on the steels that were tested as the standard of RC testing.

All edges were at 30 degrees inclusive and polished to 6000 grit on the Edge Pro, sharpness was tested by slicing TP clean.

The following data is the results that I got based on the above method, while not conclusive or the end all beat all data it is very accurate.

Same method as above, but with a coarse edge, 400 grit congress Silicone carbide, more optimal edge finish for max edge retention to highlight the differences in the steels.

K390 - 820 - Mule - 62-64 RC
S110V - 600 - Mule - 60 RC
S90V - 460 - Military - 60 RC
CTS 204P - 420 - Para 2
M390 - 380 - Military - 61 RC
S30V - 300 - Military - 60 RC
CTS-XHP - 240 - Military - 60.5 RC
CTS-B75P - 240 - Mule
Sleipner - 240 - LionSteel PM2
Dozier D2 - 220 - Dozier K2
ELMAX - 220 - Mule - 58.5 RC
VG-10 - 160 - Stretch
AUS-8A - 160 - Recon 1

Mailed my brand new LionSteel Police PM-2 folder to Jim for testing of the Sleipner (61 HRC) steel blade.

LionSteel PM2 is done, did well. :)

The PM2 is a really nice knife with good overall blade geometry for slicing, I reprofiled it to 15 Degrees per side, it performed very well.

The PM2 is a really nice knife with good overall blade geometry for slicing, I reprofiled it to 15 Degrees per side, it performed very well.

Do you think that the Military & Para 2 on your list have an inherent advantage other than steel?

Do you think that the Military & Para 2 on your list have an inherent advantage other than steel?

No, they don't as the LS has really good blade geometry and VERY close to the same behind the edge thickness within .002" - .004" as in the Military and Para 2's being thicker....

The steel did as expected in relation to the other steels based on the alloy content and RC ranges in my testing.

Last edited:
Edge holding/Stability is different issue from pure wear resistance, later being part of the former.
I'm not debating/disputing Sleipner being better in those terms based on Moletta's input and tests. Honestly, it was surprising to some degree, but again, there are a lot of other, less alloyed steels, Vanadis 4E included which do outperform M390.

To me, the pure test data is interesting, and on top of that I really want to understand how it works, i.e. Sleipner having less carbide formers being more wear resistant than M390, if that was a case.

M390 has very good edge stability especially in the 61-62 RC range and a high carbide percentage with even more Cr being pulled into the matrix so I am not sure what is happening.

That's having one heck of a lot of experience with testing M390 at various hardness ranges from 59 to 62 RC and from .005" behind the edge to .040" behind the edge.

The tests made ​​by me report these results on circa 10 cm straight edge portion of blade.

440c 58 hrc 100 cuts;
n680 58 hrc 110 cuts;
420c 56 hrc 110 cuts;
1095 58 hrc 180 cuts;
Calmax 59 hrc 240 cuts;
Unimax 59 hrc > 300 cuts;
A8 chipper 57 hrc 550 cuts;
A8 chipper 57 hrc 800 cuts (different heat treating);
Sleipner Short blade 61 hrc, 5 cm straight edge 660 cuts;
m390 Short blade 61 hrc, 5 cm straight edge 400 cuts;
Sleipner 61 hrc > 1700 cuts test not finisched because rope finished.
Vanadis 23 63 hrc 4000 cuts.

M390 was hardened for better corrosion resistance. With secondary hardening it has a better result.

The test was done on the same rope and knives were sharpened in the same manner. The results were in line with those of the test SIO2 except for stainless steels which have given results are well below expectations.
The rope has the characteristic. A knife without a good edge on that rope slips without cutting, difficult to say whether this may have influenced the difference between the two types of steels.

The tests made ​​by me report these results on circa 10 cm straight edge portion of blade.

440c 58 hrc 100 cuts;
n680 58 hrc 110 cuts;
420c 56 hrc 110 cuts;
1095 58 hrc 180 cuts;
Calmax 59 hrc 240 cuts;
Unimax 59 hrc > 300 cuts;
A8 chipper 57 hrc 550 cuts;
A8 chipper 57 hrc 800 cuts (different heat treating);
m390 Short blade 61 hrc, 5 cm straight edge 400 cuts;
Sleipner 61 hrc > 1700 cuts test not finisched because rope finished.
Vanadis 23 63 hrc 4000 cuts.

M390 was hardened for better corrosion resistance. With secondary hardening it has a better result.

The test was done on the same rope and knives were sharpened in the same manner. The results were in line with those of the test SIO2 except for stainless steels which have given results are well below expectations.
The rope has the characteristic. A knife without a good edge on that rope slips without cutting, difficult to say whether this may have influenced the difference between the two types of steels.

Edge finish, grit used, can and will make a large difference depending on what it is?

Edge geometry, degrees per side, can and will make a large difference.

What determines the stopping point, finishing point?

From the video it looks like you started out push cutting then changed to more of a draw cut jerking the blade through when the knife started to dull, that will make a difference in the finial results.

Interesting really....

But then I am using Manila rope and that's much more abrasive than Poly Rope.....

Last edited:
M390 Short blade 61 hrc, 5 cm straight edge 400 cuts;
Sleipner 61 hrc > 1700 cuts test not finished because rope finished.

When you say "short blade" are you talking about the 3.7" SR-1 Sleipner blade (5 cm is only 2 inches)!?

What are the differences between the two Sleipners you mention with much different results?

When you say "short blade" are you talking about the 3.7" SR-1 Sleipner blade (5 cm is only 2 inches)!?

What are the differences between the two Sleipners you mention with much different results?

And cutting 3/4" rope..... With a 2" blade.....

Edge finish, grit used, can and will make a large difference depending on what it is?

Edge geometry, degrees per side, can and will make a large difference.

What determines the stopping point, finishing point?

From the video it looks like you started out push cutting then changed to more of a draw cut jerking the blade through when the knife started to dull, that will make a difference in the finial results.

Interesting really....

But then I am using Manila rope and that's much more abrasive than Poly Rope.....

Some finish, some degree.

At start of video, is not push cutting. It's sharp and it cut down with few drag.

Poly rope sets out clearly the different performance. In fact, the number of cuts is well extended.

Back