Lionsteel TiSpine - grey matte

Hi there!

So during these last months, I have been considering what to get as my next folder and was a bit torn :). Reading, documenting myself, educating my taste and even studying a little, I narrowed my wish list down to three candidates and finally, also after listening to the good suggestions and inputs from members here, I have decided for the Lionsteel TiSpine: a gem of a knife!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1416205-Which-one-of-the-three-as-my-next-folder

It has been months without any new acquisition for me, other priorities sucked in the hobby/gear related budget (mainly refurbishing works at home and the kids rooms new interiors), not that I really suffered for this, but it feels good to get a new sharp toy eventually :)! I have been really the busy ant, saving one buck here and there each month and, finally, I was able to get this beauty in my pocket! I ended up postponing the purchase of a new axe to upgrade my Fiskars X5 but, since she’s still good to go after a good spa and sharpening (I took advantage of my Dad’s end of the gardening season tools maintenance week :)), I think this can wait. Maybe I’ll get my hands on one Toporsib I like by this Spring.

I have used this folder every day for the past last three weeks and would like to share some of my own thoughts, personal impressions and some pics about it, as a knives hobbyist and week-end hiker, no expert at all :). I have put the TiSpine through my usual EDC tasks, from cutting various kind of packaging materials (cardboards, PP straps, shrink and stretch films, EPS, tapes, twines, etc.) at work to some basic food prep (breakfast and lunch at the office and some sandwiches on the trails), from some wood working (carving a walking stick, notching and pointing some pegs, etc.) to random cutting of plastic sheets, masking tapes, etc. for all those trivial “around the house” maintenance tasks. To be clear: I haven’t used this one to build-up a wilderness shelter or to chop wood for the fireplace and this wouldn’t be a knife I would want to take on a jungle expedition or chose as primary tool in e.g. a construction site. It’s more of a gents folder for me, however, it’s a fully functional and beautiful (to my eyes) knife for my EDC chores. With this I feel I “cut in style”, so to say. It’s like an Armani jeans, rugged but stylish. Also, having done a good deal of food prep (breakfast and lunch at the office and a couple of sandwiches on the trails and even a pic-nick at the seaside), it’s fair to say it’s no comparison on performance to a kitchen knife. Geometry is fine but not designed specifically for kitchen use and the TiSpine edge is a tad thicker and will not perform as well as a good, dedicated paring knife.

This is not a new knife, like it was for the Pohl Force Mike 1, I fell in love with this baby since she appeared on the market, back in 2013. A lot has been said and done already about this knife even though, to tell the truth, I haven’t found a real “user’s” review. I’ll try to say and show also something about the use of this knife and try describe how it performed for me, in my normal EDC use. The TiSpine came in an unusual and smart packaging solution, inside a thick Plexiglas tube, with a thin cardboard carrying printed Lionsteel logos wrapped around and a small leaflet inside the tube.

The legends tell the idea of this knife came during a car travel the DPx founder Robert Young Pelton and Lionsteel owner Gianni Pauletta had together, returning to Italy from the 2010 IWA trade show in Nuremberg, Germany. Pelton wanted to create the lightest, strongest, and most elegant pocket knife ever made. He already began sketching his concept while driving through the mountains. Once they arrived back in Maniago, Italy, Pauletta and his crew began to work to try creating a thin, tough folder from a single block of aviation grade titanium alloy. The DPx Aculus and Lionsteel TiSpine were about to born. The rest is history.

The TiSpine is one knife from the “solid” or “monolithic” Lionsteel’s knives group, as they are called. These terms refer to the handle construction, which is milled from a single, solid piece of titanium. This contrasts a more typical closed back or pillar construction which is usually made from numerous parts. Out of group, which includes the SR-1 and the TM-1, the TiSpine is the most EDC friendly, in my opinion. Although the blade length is “just” 85 mm long, this knife still feels bigger to me, without being overweight. Having the opportunity, this time, to physically handle all those, I found the SR-1 a little too ponderous in hand and pocket and the TM-1 more a heavy duty folder type of knife, probably overlapping in its use my Pohl Force Mike One. The TiSpine is much more of a true EDC option for me.

The blade has an overall drop point profile, long and pointy, with a curving belly and potent tip, pointy but robust. The tip is wickedly pointed! Almost scarily pointed! The drop point blade shape has been somehow modified, treated to a high flat grind and a swedge, that invites to effective penetrating cuts. The high flat grind makes the cutting easy and natural, although a thinner grind would have made this knife a true slicer, in my opinion. My blade sports a satin finish. Where the blade spine returns to full thickness it has been rounded, edges have been slightly chamfered but they could probably still strike some sparkles from a fire-steel (I haven’t tried). A run of fine jimping has been added to improve traction. The jimping starts early and partially sits below the scales being therefore not completely accessible. My thumb tends to pass over it and I end up putting most of the pressure directly on the rounded spine of the blade. Still, I have a comfortable and secure enough grip. The LionSteel logo, along with the steel type, is discreetly laser etched onto the flat.

Blade material is the Elmax stainless steel (from Uddeholms AB Sweden), a rather common one now for Lionsteel and other knives producers. I have learned Elmax is defined as a "high chromium-vanadium-molybdenum-alloyed steel," made of 1.7% carbon, 18 % chromium, 0.3 % manganese, 1 % molybdenum, 0.8 % silicon, and 3% vanadium. This composition allows for the metal to have a high wear resistance, high compressive strength, superior corrosion resistance, and a very good dimensional stability. Since Elmax is created using a powder metallurgy process, this is considered a “super-steel”. These combine high amounts of alloy materials that are difficult to stabilize using traditional processes, the result is their ability to combine properties that were previously contradictory. In the Elmax case, great corrosion and wear resistance, through high amounts of chromium, molybdenum and vanadium. From what I’ve read about and from my empirical experience so far, I find Elmax to be a reliable choice for knife steel. I still have to sharpen this for real - since it is still shaving sharp - and this empirically tells me the edge retention is good. On the other hand, I’m already aware that Elmax will require some experience/efforts/right equipment to sharpen it properly. A proper choil and the bellied edge will probably help me a little with this. It has a high hardness declared (59-60HRC) and I confirm it showed no problems with rust or corrosion, even when I left it wet or a bit dirty (from food prep) for some hours. Good! This baby is pretty but her beauty hasn’t and won’t save her from a good share of EDC tasks!

For the deployment there is a rectangular hole in the blade. One handed opening is possible but it took me some practice. My issue is the positioning of the hole makes it a little tricky to get at with my thumb. So, in reality, I end up using this as a two-handed opening knife. Not a big deal for me, since my EDC uses do not require particularly fast deployments and this is not the knife I primarily use in those operations requiring one hand opening (for me mainly household maintenance chores, e.g. cutting things holding to a ladder, etc.). This is anyway something worth to mention and consider, since it might have greater importance for some users. I consider the TiSpine falling under the category of gentleman’s folders, regardless of the potentially intimidating appearance it has been marketed with, specially under its DPX Aculus version. The blade runs on Teflon washers. The action is really smooth and I feel the tolerances are tight. When closed, the blade is held firmly by a strong detent.

21esw3d.jpg

211jxpi.jpg

21mrasw.jpg

To be honest, besides the blade, what really caught my eyes - and made me fall in love - was the TiSpine handle. What a handle it is!
Having an interest in machinery technology I have looked into these four axis CNC machines, able to produce such unique patterns. These travel on the standard X, Y and Z axis but have the additional ability to turn the work piece 360º. This engineering solution makes the deep, continuous texture on the handle’s surface feasible. It reduces machine setups time, it increase efficiency and improves tolerances. The process surely requires an expert knowledge of the machinery and the material being cut. Titanium can be tricky to process if the machine speed, feed and cutter paths are not properly set-up. This is due to its general tendency to deflect and low heat conduction that results in work hardening and high wearing of tools. It looks Lionsteel did that fine! The resulting parts are well machined, elegant, strong and lightweight. The handle is so slick that it looks to me like it was cast from molten titanium. Compared with the SR-1, it looks like LionSteel has further refined their manufacturing process. Being a monolithic handle, there isn’t much else in the way of hardware, but the pivot and stop pin are “custom” made and beautifully polished. Knowing this knife also would have been a user for me, I went straight for the matte finish option, in my case a very nice (to my eyes) almost “natural Ti”, grey. So all the scratches and use marks I will collect on the handle will not shine so bright! Collectors might like to opt for the other shinier, flashier and more colourful available decors, surely less forgiving in hiding scratches and marks.

The handle doesn’t just look good, I find this is also rather comfortable. The ergonomics are no-frills, straight forward. The 110 mm long rectangular shape of the handle sports a mild arching. It fills my hand nicely, offering a full four finger grip for my medium to large hand size but no extra space here! The texture grants good traction leaving “buttered” corners with a smooth feel. It offers a good grip, even when wet, for all my light utility EDC tasks. A stylish cut-out in the handle echoes the thumb hole allowing it to be accessed. For my grip, this normally works as a partial finger groove. I find the handle a bit on the thin side anyway, would have preferred something a bit thicker and “fuller”. In spite of being the product of a technological process involving hi-tech machines, I have the feeling like if there is something “alive” when holding this knife. Something “organic” about its handle texture. These ridges reminds me of a outer world ocean shell or a kind of exoskeleton of ancient or sci-fi creatures. Love this!

The lock is a strong titanium frame-lock. And a nicely executed one! Beautiful cut-outs in the scale. My knife locks up early and shows no blade play in any direction and any lock stick. I feel the “solid” construction makes for a lean but sturdy knife. Blade centring in my piece her was and still is dead on. The lock faces are well aligned. At a first glance, the scale cut-out that forms the lock arm might look wide, making the spring seem delicate but it’s not in reality and the use just confirms. As an interesting detail, the pocket clip rests on the lock arm. When the knife is in the open position, the clip lays a bit lower than when closed, keeping it unobtrusive when cutting.

About the clip, I like it. Truly deep-carry type! The TiSpine features a long curving deep carry pocket clip, which follow the handle arching. Mine has been given a satin finish to match the hardware and the blade. The clip, while long, carries the knife discretely and, by looking at the clip alone it’s hard to tell it belongs to a pocket knife. It carries right side, tip up only and non-reversible, but is removable, if one would like an even more discrete option for carry. In my pockets the TiSpine just feels good. It’s slim, flat, and relatively light weight. It’s a pleasure to carry! There is also a small hole for an optional lanyard.

I am sure I am not the only one who fell in love with the TiSpine just by looking at it in pictures/videos. Now that I hold in my hand and carry in my pocket, I can say this knife is even more impressive “in person”. One need to handle it to truly appreciate its features. I find the design kind of “seductive” and the workmanship is simply outstanding. I can’t really find any major fault/defect with this knife. Maybe, to be really picky, the only two thing I would modify are:

• the blade thumb-hole, to allow an easier one hand opening (but that’s something I catch up more and more with practice)
• to improve geometry in a way to smooth (or better eliminate completely) the protruding tang of the blade which sticks out annoyingly when the blade is folded. It’s rather “sharp” and gets quite in my way when compared to all the others rounded corners and smooth surfaces

The thing I like most about this knife is its design and the whole idea of “solid” handles. It looks and feel simple, but it’s a new type of simplicity, clearly the result of great complexity, interesting and smart engineering solutions and well executed production processes. I bought the TiSpine basically because I was intrigued by its design, innovative concept and its industrial manufacturing excellence. I’m pretty biased towards these things.

As user, the TiSpine works fine for all those light utility EDC tasks I put it through but, honestly, it’s not that it performs “better” than others in this respect. Simply, for me, it does everything other knives can do (i.e.: cut) but with a unique style and elegance. This folder doesn’t speak forests, wood work, camp fires, outdoor activities, camping and hiking to me, nor its shape and size make it my first choice knife for these activities. It’s more of a gentleman folder, which works fine for all those cutting chores along the day, from work to household activities. It can make it in the woods, actually it does very good in whittling and carving but then it looks a little bit like a stockbroker in lumberjack cloths… kind of odd, if you get what I mean.

About impact on the public, I’d say it’s fine. Size and style make the TiSpine a sort of perceived modern gentleman folder, not so intimidating. The two-hand opening I use in reality and the “work of art” kind of handle, make this quite far from looking as a “tactical” weapon. The tip is quite scaring though, when looking at it closely. My version also, in this grey matte finish, sort of “bend-in” and doesn’t catch unwanted special attention. It sits very low in the pocket and the clip can easily be mistaken for a pen clip.

Basic Specs

Total Length 7.67″ / 195 mm
Total Weight 3.6 oz / 82 g

Blade

Length 3.35″ / 85 mm
Thickness 3.35″ / 3.5 mm
Böhler Uddholm Elmax
59-60 Rockwell
Flat Grind

Handle

Length 4.33″ / 110 mm
6AL4V Titanium “monolithic” construction
Available in Matte or High Polish in Natural Titanium, Bronze or Violet-Blue anodized
Right hand, tip-up carry, deep riding pocket clip and lanyard hole

Lock

Integral Frame Lock

Made in Maniago, Italy

Some pics:

33mqsdc.jpg

2z541md.jpg

2iauesh.jpg

2yx3h44.jpg

o8cg9x.jpg

2w2imwz.jpg

sdfndx.jpg

1215oh3.jpg

2jdmafs.jpg

2gxgwig.jpg

2lmuidt.jpg

2mwrmg1.jpg

124xb0z.jpg

hwmnnb.jpg

29urhwo.jpg

21b2ko9.jpg

30rmruu.jpg

15362kg.jpg

apb5ab.jpg

vhub1h.jpg

anfrma.jpg

2qbht6q.jpg

o5p35j.jpg

8z39z6.jpg

zv7rbo.jpg

3448g0g.jpg

2608sac.jpg

b6zr03.jpg

2isnm8.jpg

1496mok.jpg

5ezy0w.jpg

aqjyq.jpg

Thanks for the excellent review! The Ti-Spine is such a fine knife! I have the polished gold version.

Very nice report ! and a nice mix of style and practicality ! Italians do that well . A fancy CNC machine let's you do things that even the most skilled worker would be hard pressed to do by hand !
How would you compare that to a Sebenza ?
Now that you show the knife and foods you'll have to show the dish you make with the mix !

Nice review. I have a DPx Aculus, which is just a TiSpine made in a limited run with a special texture for DPx. Great knife, great conversation piece also :)

IMG_1805.jpg

11402561_942775589078411_1798850835410575127_o.jpg

Hi!

@ MAD777: Thanks! Yes, enjoying her quite much! :)

@ Skywalker1: Thank-you! Yours also looks very nice and I don’t know if they still make it in high-polish gold, you have a “collectors’ piece” :thumbup:!

@ Mete: Thanks! Glad you liked it :)! I wish I’d have a Sebenza to compare with! One of those is on my list but, around here, they cost a lot of money. Maybe I’ll try to search around next time I’ll visit US if I have some free time… The pics with food here are taken in different times/occasions, some in the office canteen, some at home, etc., they don’t belong to a single food prep. Anyway you might probably have recognized a risotto, a buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese :). I’ll post some more in food in drink when have some time!

@ Mistwalker: Thank-you! Happy you liked it. Your Aculus is amazing, the pic with water drops beautiful :thumbup:. And yes, it’s definitely a conversation piece… I have indulged in that a lot :D:p!

@ J D Wijbenga: Thanks! Glad you appreciated it! Yes, she looks good! :)

Take care guys!

Buffalo ? I thought only a buffala made cheese !!
It seems here the practice is to call every Italian rice dish 'risotto' . That's hardly the case as risotto requires only certain types of rice and cooked slowly, gradually adding broth.[ Best broth is venison broth , try it .I always try to educate people so they can eat 'the real thing '

I hope no one minds, but I am going to revive an old thread. I just ordered the 2019 version of the DPX Aculus. I thought it might be useful to post within this thread, so that further comparisons could be made.

i've also been looking at the ZT Anthem and the LionSteel Tispine. I like the general concept of all these knives. In my mind a cross between tactical and gentleman's carry.

This 2019 flipper, hollow grind, and has Bohler M390 Steel. I'm not sure what country it is made in? I understand LionSteel was involved in the previous run. If it gets delivered in a clear plastic tube I guess we shall have our answer ;) I've e-mailed DPX about that question.

From the online pictures I think the scale wave pattern looks very interesting. I the color scale is listed in bronze

Well if anyone has any updates on the knives mentioned in this thread please pitch in. I'll update everyone once I receive it.

Last edited:
I hope no one minds, but I am going to revive an old thread. I just ordered the 2019 version of the DPX Aculus. I thought it might be useful to post within this thread, so that further comparisons could be made.

i've also been looking at the ZT Anthem and the LionSteel Tispine. I like the general concept of all these knives. In my mind a cross between tactical and gentleman's carry.

This 2019 flipper, hollow grind, and has Bohler M390 Steel. I'm not sure what country it is made in? I understand LionSteel was involved in the previous run. If it gets delivered in a clear plastic tube I guess we shall have our answer ;) I've e-mailed DPX about that question.

From the online pictures I think the scale wave pattern looks very interesting. I the color scale is listed in bronze

Well if anyone has any updates on the knives mentioned in this thread please pitch in. I'll update everyone once I receive it.

I bought the DPX Aculus flipper and it had a bit of lock rock and lock stick, sent it to DPX and they sent it back to Lionsteel. It came back in about a month. it's perfect now. I wish they made a Damascus flipper, I would buy it in a heartbeat. It took a bit to break in but it was worth it. has bearings and washers on this model, I can open it with a middle finger flip, thumb flip or thumb flip from the hole.... it's nice to have options and it keeps me entertained.

1gTMJCYh.jpg

tyPXSxQh.jpg

eWl7IEOh.jpg

Hope that helps.... I love this knife almost as much as I love my Crossroads. it certainly gets more pocket time though because of the weight and size.

How is the edge grind thickness? I've noticed a lot of reviews saying they're quite thick for an EDC type knife.
Not comparing it to a dedicated paring knife but say compared to a Delica, how does it fare?

How is the edge grind thickness? I've noticed a lot of reviews saying they're quite thick for an EDC type knife.
Not comparing it to a dedicated paring knife but say compared to a Delica, how does it fare?

I don't own a Delica, but I like the blade grind.... it isn't ideal for food prep or anything. It fits the bill and I enjoy it for sure. I'm looking at a liong mah Lanny next but I really live this thing.

Back