1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

LionSteel TiSpine Matt Bronze review

Discussion in 'LionSteel knives' started by duncanmclawd, Dec 2, 2013.

1. duncanmclawd

duncanmclawd

Dec 3, 2003
    Hello,

I have purchased my matt bronze LionSteel TiSpine in June. It has been part of my edc rotation for the last six months and it has been used regularly. I am impressed with the quality of this knife! As there are only a few reviews of this knife, I felt it was a good idea to share my impressions with you.

1) The blade: I was not familiar with ELMAX steel, but this steel has definately impressed me. It takes a super sharp polished edge and holds it for a long time. One point of criticism: the blade came rather dull and appeared to be sharpened at an obtuse angle in the factory. I reprofiled it to +/- 12,5 degrees per side on a whetstone and I added a 20 degrees per side microbevel with the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

2) The handle: The titanium handle resist well to scratches. I have carried the knife loose in my pocket for weeks and I am yet to see any serious scratches. The handle shape is fairly neutral and allows for many different grips. The handle gives a very solid feel because it is milled from one single piece of titanium.

3) Fit and finish: This folder had zero bladeplay! The blade is perfectly centered in the handle.

4) Dimensions: it is a medium sized knife in my opinion. Because of the slim profile and the low rider clip this knife dissapears in your pocket.

5) Opening / closing action: initially the TiSpine was difficult to open one handed. The knife has broken in now and I have improved my technique. Now I can open it one handed.

Finally I would like to add that I doubted between the CR Sebenza and the LionSteel TiSpine before buying this knife. Finally I opted for the TiSpine because in Europe this knife was significantly cheaper then a Sebenza. I don't want to compare the two, but I am definately happy with my purchase!

A couple of pictures to go along this review:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you enjoyed my review.
    Regards,
    Davy

2. brancron

brancron

Dec 14, 2011
    Good review. There was the same poorly-done factory edge on mine, but otherwise I love it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. X-Box

X-Box

Jan 4, 2013
    I have the matt purple TiSpine and its comfortably my favourite LionSteel.

Awesome build quality and ergonomically very nice to handle :thumbup:

4. Locutus D'Borg

Locutus D'Borg

Dec 1, 2012
    I think you guys mean matte, not matt. Great review. I had an SR-1 but returned it because I could not open it one-handed. Guess I should have broken it in.

5. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    This is a knife I want to try. It seems to be what I like. Thank you for the review.

6. TEFL0N_D0N_81

TEFL0N_D0N_81

Feb 23, 2011
    I always thought this knife looked very classy, but the lockbar cutout has too wide of a gap (or so it seems).

7. X-Box

X-Box

Jan 4, 2013
    No I meant matt. Matte is a little French, which I am not :p

You should have persevered with the SR-1 - they open one handed, as do SR-2's and the TiSpine, without any need for adjustment - just some initial break-in.