List of GEC knives and if they have half stops, and lengths

No problem at all, thanks for all the hard work. Nice to have this resource.

Thanks guys. Can anyone else with the 2 and 3 blade #79s confirm how I have them listed is correct?

Yep you're all set, owned both, now just have the 2 bladed one
G2

Thanks for this op and contributors. I'm in the market for a GEC and this helps.
Would love to have a easy/hard pull scale next to each model. I can't remember all the comments re: pull effort on the different models.
Thanks again.

The problem with pull effort, besides being subjective, is that slightly different models within in the same pattern number can have completely different values. The blade steel, the blade type/length, whether it is barehead, has end caps, or a lanyard tube, even difference in year the model was made can all impact the pull rating.

Such a great thread. I had to subscribe to this thread as it's super helpful to see which models have half stops. I just bought a #66 and Didn't like it without half stops. Who knew? I thought I disliked half stops but it turns out that I like 'em. :)

Great thread! Interestingly enough, I have a #89 Gambler and there are no half stops on either blade.

Do you have the full model number for it? Under which brand? I have 2 clip point GEC models and the secondary definitely has a half stop.

For the sake of completion of your list, my single blade #56 Weaver Jack has no half-stop.
Linus

Do you have the full model number for it? Under which brand? I have 2 clip point GEC models and the secondary definitely has a half stop.

I'll check when I get home in a few hours, but I'm pretty sure it's 891212. I just checked GEC's website and I don't even see my exact knife there. Could be an SFO? It's a Northfield clip point with calico bone covers. I even sent it to the factory a couple weeks ago because the pen blade was loose in the closed position and it came back to me fixed, but still no half stop! I'll post some pics in a bit.

Edit: I just found my exact knife on their site and it is listed as 891212. I'll still post up some pics of it when I get home.

Last edited:
I've been wondering all day if maybe I was wrong and my #89 really did have a half stop, but it doesn't. The tang is rounded and the stamp says 891212. Another thing I noticed is that mine also only has one back spring. Another person posted a pic of his on another thread and his had 2 springs, the main blade rode on both, but the pen only on one. I'm not sure if you can make everything out in the pic, but the blade is set about where the half stop should be if it had one. I find it pretty interesting that these variations exist in the same models.

Hmm, that is interesting... My 2 have 2 thin springs and could be the pics you're talking about. Anyone else with some #89s?

Back