List of inlay materials used for Classic/21 Sebenza

Thanks to everybody who participated by adding helpful information. I think we are pretty well set. If something else is crossing your way, please feel free to share in this thread and if necessary, I will update the list.

Ryan suggested to add pics, in order to provide some quick orientation about how that inlay material looks like. I like that idea. In order to keep the list clear, I leave it as it is in this 1st post and will add pics further down at page 2.

We have also indicated for each inlay material whether it is/was available for Classic Sebenza, Sebenza 21 or for both. Therefore "MM" stands for Classic Sebenza and "21" for Sebenza 21.

African Blackwood - MM/21

Black Palm
- MM

Bloodwood
- MM/21

Bocote - MM/21

Bog Oak - 21

Box Elder Burl - MM/21

Calfskin Leather - MM (blue and brown)

Carbon Fiber inlays - 21 (Blade HQ exclusive)

Carbon Fiber scale - 21 (KnifeArt exclusive)

Cocobolo - MM/21

Curly Maple
- MM

Desert Ironwood - MM/21

English Walnut
- MM

Gabon Ebony - MM/21

Gold Wire
- MM (w. Ebony, Black Palm, Snakewood, Walnut?)

Lignum
- MM/21

Macassar Ebony - MM/21

Mammoth Bark - MM/21

Mammoth Ivory- MM/21

Micarta, Black canvas - MM/21

Micarta, Red Linen - 21 (Knife Ships Free exclusive)

Pale Moon Ebony - 21 (exclusive limited run for Blade Show 2017)

Pao (Pau) Ferro - MM

Ray-Skin Leather - MM

Rosewood, jigged - MM

Rosewood, Honduran
- 21 (Blade HQ exclusive)

Rosewood, Madagascar

Snakewood
- MM/21

Spalted Beech - 21

Syringa - 21 (used f. River of Fire damascus blades 21. A few small 21 made w. remaining Syringa)

Tamboti - MM/21

Thuya - 21

Zebrawood - MM

Last edited:
Curly Maple

African Blackwood

Black Palm

English Walnut

There was a few smalls made with Syringa that was left over from the ROF project.

Curly Maple

African Blackwood

Black Palm

English Walnut

There was a few smalls made with Syringa that was left over from the ROF project.

Thanks LW! African Blackwood came also to my mind. Never got the difference between African Blackwood and Gabon Ebony. They look almost identical so I was thinking maybe another name for the same wood? What do you think?

I thought Curly Maple and Black Palm were only used for Regular Annual editions.

Edit: Just found pics of a Curly Maple Classic. Do you know whether this wood was used only for Classic? Or also for 21?

Last edited:
Thanks LW! African Blackwood came also to my mind. Never got the difference between African Blackwood and Gabon Ebony. They look almost identical so I was thinking maybe another name for the same wood? What do you think?

I thought Curly Maple and Black Palm were only used for Regular Annual editions.

Edit: Just found pics of a Curly Maple Classic. Do you know whether this wood was used only for Classic? Or also for 21?

Once you've held Blackwood you'll be able to tell them apart.

http://www.wood-database.com/african-blackwood/

http://www.wood-database.com/gaboon-ebony/

Let's not forget about the gold wire series. :)
I have seen Snakewood, Black Palm, and Ebony in gold wire inlay, but have also found one mention of a Walnut and gold and diamond but never a photo of it.

This is great - i was looking for this list just last week! We should attempt to identify (21 / MM / Ink) next to each to clarify which line sported the various inlay.

One I don't see on your list is the jigged madagascar rosewood (MM)
Another is the plain madagascar rosewood. (21 / ?? )

Last edited:
Lignum was not a limited run and was used for both the classic and the 21. There just aren't many examples of it. ....especially the classic. My signature hasn't changed in a long time......

The gold anodized aluminum on the limited edition prototype inlayed Inkosi, if it's not already been mentioned.

I have a Tamboti 21. It was not a dealer exclusive. Just a regular production model.

Good morning!

Great support over here! I keep on updating above list with your remarks.

I suggest that I collect all questions which we are not able to answer and in a week or so, I'll address them to CRK and see whether they can help us finishing up this list.

Let's not forget about the gold wire series. :)
I have seen Snakewood, Black Palm, and Ebony in gold wire inlay, but have also found one mention of a Walnut and gold and diamond but never a photo of it.

I didn't know that gold wire was done with various woods. I was always thinking about Black Palm. Never saw Snakewood gold wire. Lets see whether we can varify this. I'll do some googeling :) and if it doesn't bring up sufficient results, this is on the list of questions for CRK. Thanks Ryan!

This is great - i was looking for this list just last week! We should attempt to identify (21 / MM / Ink) next to each to clarify which line sported the various inlay.

One I don't see on your list is the jigged madagascar rosewood (MM)
Another is the plain madagascar rosewood. (21 / ?? )

I added the 2 Rosewood to the list.

I like your idea of indicating whether the inlay was used for both, Classic and 21, or just for one of them. I will make an attempt based upon my knowledge, but I would encourage this group to question my findings and correct them, if you have valid information. Valid information in this sense are always pics of your own knives or which you found with a search or "official" information, e.g. from dealers or CRK.

Still a bit struggling with the various Rosewood's. Except Honduran, which is Blade HQ exclusive, only done with 21. But Madagascar, plain and jigged I am not sure about.

Thanks LW! We are doing great! :)

Regarding Rosewood: I overlooked Ganagatti saying "plain Madagascar Rosewood" and wrote both, plain and Madagascar :) Corrected that mistake. Still not sure whether Madagascar RW was only used for 21?

I wasn't able to find any Classic Box Elder. Just wondering, as this is one of few wood inlays which CRK used for a long time, starting with annual Regular Sebenza until todays 21. But couldn't find any Classic.

Back