List of Spydie Hole license holders?

In an effort to keep my collection under control, I decided to keep only Spydercos. But hey I'm a flexible guy, so maybe I could collect only knives with proper round opening holes. (Ovals and trapezoids need not apply.)

Is there a list of the companies and makers that have licensed the opening hole?

Theres a bunch of custom makers that use Spydie holes, but I think these are mostly designers that have worked with Spyderco previously.

You might also wanna look into the timberline service special and reconsider only owning knives with spydie holes ;) also what about Byrd style opening holes??

Theres a bunch of custom makers that use Spydie holes, but I think these are mostly designers that have worked with Spyderco previously.

You might also wanna look into the timberline service special and reconsider only owning knives with spydie holes ;) also what about Byrd style opening holes??

Nope no Byrds. Or Timberlines. I even just sold my GiantMouse. Round or go home. :)

I'm 95% positive that made the full size grip with a syderco hole as well.they discontinued it a few years back. In fact I happen to know someone that's got one and going to put it up for sale here in the very near future. I could be wrong it could be the mini grip. I will double check my Facts and get back to you

Do you need a license to drill a hole in the blade? i don't thinks o.
If your a major knife company and your mass producing a product with with a trademark which the syderco hole is then yes you do. Well I guess you don't if you don't want to keep your company for long. SAL has no problems adding a new factory to syderco I sure.

You can drill a hole in the blade if you want to without worrying about licensing matters. You can drill a hole in every blade in your collection no matter how many knives you have if you want to. You can make an "Emerson wave" if you want to. You can make your handle look like something done by Tom Mayo with holes all over the place. All this can be done without worry about licensing issues.

The problem generally comes in when you use the feature on a bunch of knives that you make or modify to sell for profit. There is no restriction on your knives for personal use by you. You can also gift such a knife to a friend or family member as well. Of course, if you make such a modification, you can forget about resale value, which will be essentially zero.

Spyderco does not want or need competition from other business models who utilize their intellectual property. So don't do that on even one knife and you'll be fine.

If your question is strictly limited to who has the legal authority to use the Spyderco thumb hole manner of opening a knife, Spyderco is in the best position to answer that.

You can drill a hole in the blade if you want to without worrying about licensing matters. You can drill a hole in every blade in your collection no matter how many knives you have if you want to. You can make an "Emerson wave" if you want to. You can make your handle look like something done by Tom Mayo with holes all over the place. All this can be done without worry about licensing issues.

The problem generally comes in when you use the feature on a bunch of knives that you make or modify to sell for profit. There is no restriction on your knives for personal use by you. You can also gift such a knife to a friend or family member as well. Of course, if you make such a modification, you can forget about resale value, which will be essentially zero.

Spyderco does not want or need competition from other business models who utilize their intellectual property. So don't do that on even one knife and you'll be fine.

If your question is strictly limited to who has the legal authority to use the Spyderco thumb hole manner of opening a knife, Spyderco is in the best position to answer that.
Well said and explained

Only one who can legally do it is benchmade I believe, they pay spyderco royalties for doing so.

There was a article about it shared not long ago.

Others can if they have a deal with Spyderco though I'm not privy to the specifics. I believe REK Knives REK Knives (among others) can do so.
Yeah Spyderco generously allows makers to pay a small fee to make up to 50 blades with round holes per year without any issues. If it's more than that you have to discuss specifics with them and probably pay more. I'm still under my limit even with my 23 Benchmade 940 reblades with round holes :)

Yeah Spyderco generously allows makers to pay a small fee to make up to 50 blades with round holes per year without any issues. If it's more than that you have to discuss specifics with them and probably pay more. I'm still under my limit even with my 23 Benchmade 940 reblades with round holes :)

I had no idea. Those are sweet.

Back