List Your Knife Related YouTube Channels

So there's always so much talk about reviewers but let's just list the YT channels you are subscribed to. There's a ton more out there than just reviewers but even within that, there's a lot of channels that people may not have seen.

- Banter 247 ( B Banter 247 )
- Big Brown Bear ( DeadboxHero DeadboxHero )
- Coutellerie Fontenille Patuad
- Dean O
- Gideonstactical
- jankerson
- jadavis882
- jef jewell
- jim skelton
- KME Sharpeners
- Knife Chats with Tobias
- Logan Stout
- Messer HQ
- Michael Christy
- slipjoint guy
- Stefan Schmalhaus
- SuperSteelSteve

Last edited:
I have about 1.5 hours/day of commute, and I stream YouTube for the audio while I drive. I sub to a lot of channels.

Best video I’ve seen lately is DeadboxHero DeadboxHero with @Larrin on the Big Brown Bear channel. That kind of content lets me sit down, shut up, and enjoy learning.

Edited to add:

Thank you very much for the kind words. I hope to earn them.

Last edited:
I honestly watch very few YouTube knife reviews and occasionally watch them if they are linked here on the forum relative to a thread topic. I can't name a single provider.

Question: Do people make money doing these knife reviews or it purely a hobbyist thing?

Last edited:
I honestly watch very few YouTube knife reviews and occasionally watch them if they are linked here on the forum relative to a thread topic. I can't name a single provider.

Question: Do people make money doing these knife reviews or it purely a hobbyist thing?
Hobby

There are ways to make money once the channels hit a big size. AdSense/channel monetizing is based on views, and pays little. I think some channels buy knives at cost from dealers, review, then flip the knife, but I haven’t asked any in the community to confirm. Sticky topic.

I’ve been putting effort into my channel for about 6 months, and am at 1,373 subscribers, with Youtube reviewing the channel for partnering/Adsense to offset, with the goal of offsetting channel expenses.

Review samples come to me from friends, through a group of YouTube reviewers who network with manufacturers to pass around review samples, or (rarely) directly from a manufacturer. This allows me to review for the price of shipping the knife back to the sender. That mitigates sourcing cost so I’m not eating cost chunks from buying constantly. Sourcing material to review obviously varies. I got really lucky being invited to join the apex group very early on. Others may spend a lot to get going early. Big manufacturers don’t throw samples to individual, small channels in most cases.

So... for most channels, it’s a labor of love, and it costs money to do. For big channels, it can be supplemental income.

The big 1s sure do make a boat load of money making the reviews.

Either through ad revenue, affiliate link(if you use their links to buy the knives) and sometimes the companies supply the reviewer with the knife for free as long as he makes a review of it.

So in the end, the reviewer is generally gaining from making the video one way or another.

This dosnt mean they lie about the product in the review but alot of reviewers stand to gain by making the review on the positive side so that people use their links and buy the knife and also to keep the company who make that product happy so they send more free things for the reviewer to review and keep/resell.

I am speaking loosely about reviewers as a whole and not about any1 specific or anybody specifically on the list in the OP and subsequent posts.

Once you hit 1000 subs on YouTube you will start receiving checks once monthly for ad revenue all based off of how many views your vids recieved that month. (Pending partnership) approval from youtube.

I'm sure it's a hobby for them as well, but once a reviewer has 80,000 subs I'd assume hes doing VERY well for himself financially from his hobby...

My co worker has 9,000 subs on YouTube and had a check sent to him for $1,350 last month.

Imagine what you'd be getting with 100,000 subs!

Last edited:
None anymore. I wish I had time to watch more videos but I don't.

I now just YT search for videos of particular knives if I want some feedback or research on it.

I have in the past been subscribed to :
Nick
Cutlerylover
Nuthingfancy (long time ago)
Gideons
LostBoyScout
Burrfection

The big 1s sure do make a boat load of money making the reviews.

Either through ad revenue, affiliate link(if you use their links to buy the knives) and sometimes the companies supply the reviewer with the knife for free as long as he makes a review of it.

So in the end, the reviewer is generally gaining from making the video one way or another.

This dosnt mean they lie about the product in the review but alot of reviewers stand to gain by making the review on the positive side so that people use their links and buy the knife and also to keep the company who make that product happy so they send more free things for the reviewer to review and keep/resell.

I am speaking loosely about reviewers as a whole and not about any1 specific or anybody specifically on the list in the OP and subsequent posts.

Once you hit 1000 subs on YouTube you will start receiving checks once monthly for ad revenue all based off of how many views your vids recieved that month. (Pending partnership) approval from youtube.

I'm sure it's a hobby for them as well, but once a reviewer has 80,000 subs I'd assume hes doing VERY well for himself financially from his hobby...

My co worker has 9,000 subs on YouTube and had a check sent to him for $1,350 last month.

Imagine what you'd be getting with 100,000 subs!

Yes, once you hit a 1000 subs you can apply to get monetized via Google/AdSense, but you can't say 9,000 subs makes 1300$ a month and 90,000 makes 13000$ a month. Doesn't work like that, it's based on views, how many ads people watch, how much each Ad is worth. General rule of thumb was 1000$ per 500,000 Views, that was before the thing tanked about a year ago (The whole Ad-pocalypse) where even bigger channels 150k+ started to ask for Patreon because it wasn't sustainable income with just views.
Your co-worker then either had a very lucky month or happens to have a whole lot of views, which at 9000 subs seems very unlikely, or he's a genius at social media marketing and can get a lot of crosspost views without actually increasing his subscriber base. I'm no expert, but by that logic Nick Shabbaz would be making 10-12k $ a month since he has about 80,000 subscribers now.
If you're curious, look your co-worker up on Socialblade, it shows you what a channel can make THEORETICALLY on Youtube, and it's generally more towards the lower end of the estimate and not the high end.

I do youtube, and it is most definitely a hobby. While money can be made on it, it would quite literally need to be your full time "job" to make it a successful venture. For the knife industry, you would need to be very read in to the market trends and what is popular and what is going to be popular, and be the first creator to cover a particular segment before you get drowned out in the crowd. Even for a very niche industry like the Knife/EDC world, everyday more creators are up and coming to compete for view time.

There have been 2 "Adpocalypse" events in the past few years. The first directly targeted channels that created gun/knife/weapon related content. This immediately knocked out about 60% of the money my channel made, pretty much overnight. The second adpocalypse targeted all creators, and set a minimum number of subscribers you needed to have, and minimum number of hours of watch time you needed to have before you could get paid and monetize your channel. This second event took out tons of small channels that were looking to grow. Now new/small youtubers get paid nothing until they grow to the minimum required numbers.

So for me, definitely hobby. I just make videos on the knives I buy for myself. If a knife I buy is a popular one and already is well covered by other channels on youtube, then I don't make a video. I upload about once per month, maybe more depending on my spending habits. I am about at ~1500 subscribers. I make about ~$200 per year. Definitely a hobby!

I love Nick Shabazz. He's great. I also love some of the other channels posted here.

As a city dweller myself, I really like Everyday City Carry. He is very unique. Has amazing editing skills, and is just a breath of fresh air. It's a different perspective from all those gung ho types, and just a guy who lives in the city, but loves knives.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqM8OwbeSmCZ0gkwCdlt6eg

Back