Little Help. Epoxy hardened on blade

Hello,
I screwed up. I glued my scales on and didn’t get the excess epoxy off in time (had to go to the emergency room for son). It’s been 48 hours and it’s hardened onto my blade. Apologies for the repetitive post, as I’m sure this has already been asked but can’t find it ok here and I’m still pretty new to the forum. I found a couple of answers but they all pertain to getting it off before it fully cures. I have a belt sander, which is what first comes to mind, but I don’t want to ruin my h.t./temper. I sanded it to 2500 grit and it’s my fourth try at a knife and first with the scales. Am I up creek?
Thanks guys,
-Clay

I have had that happen to me, what I did was use a very small file to scrap it away very very slowly. It will come off a little at a time and you will most likely scratch you finish a little (I did) so when the glue was all off I wrapped the same small file with the 2500 paper and cleaned up the small marks I left.
There might be better ways that I don’t know of but this worked for me.
Hope it helps.

I have had that happen to me, what I did was use a very small file to scrap it away very very slowly. It will come off a little at a time and you will most likely scratch you finish a little (I did) so when the glue was all off I wrapped the same small file with the 2500 paper and cleaned up the small marks I left.
There might be better ways that I don’t know of but this worked for me.
Hope it helps.
File :eek: Piece of bronze or copper will do same job without scratch ;) When you scrape most of it from blade use little acetone . .. . .

Last edited:
Whatever you do or use to remove it, it will leave a spot there unless you do a complete regrind. I accidently left a tiny bit super glue on one of my blades. After I tried all kinds of methods it was removed, but left a shiny spot visible at certain light angle.

Whatever you do or use to remove it, it will leave a spot there unless you do a complete regrind. I accidently left a tiny bit super glue on one of my blades. After I tried all kinds of methods it was removed, but left a shiny spot visible at certain light angle.
Come on ....... I do this on every knife I make and no sigh of damage after I clean epoxy or CA ...............
That shiny spot is CLEAN steel :)

@sharp_edge
This is how I grind thin blade to avoid flex .Steel is 1.2519 2mm thick glued with CA to that square stainless tube ....... I clean all that CA glue in one minute after grinding..........:)
kBhRmaA.jpg

PS . CA glue is where it was marked in the picture with red ....

Hello,
I screwed up. I glued my scales on and didn’t get the excess epoxy off in time (had to go to the emergency room for son). It’s been 48 hours and it’s hardened onto my blade. Apologies for the repetitive post, as I’m sure this has already been asked but can’t find it ok here and I’m still pretty new to the forum. I found a couple of answers but they all pertain to getting it off before it fully cures. I have a belt sander, which is what first comes to mind, but I don’t want to ruin my h.t./temper. I sanded it to 2500 grit and it’s my fourth try at a knife and first with the scales. Am I up creek?
Thanks guys,
-Clay
I don t know what kind of finish you have where epoxy is but scrap it in direction of last grinding/sanding direction , it will be easier ... if you do it other way , from bronze , brass or whatever you use ,material will get INSIDE between sanding line/look at them like they are file teeth/ and that will be harder to clean then epoxy ......... :) Sorry for my bad English :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Come on ....... I do this on every knife I make and no sigh of damage after I clean epoxy or CA ...............
That shiny spot is CLEAN steel :)

Yes its clean steel. I should have been clearer. The knife had fine vertical grind lines. After the glue was removed, the grind lines on that spot were gone too. Thats why its shinier.

I don t know what kind of finish you have where epoxy is but scrap it in direction of last grinding/sanding direction , it will be easier ... if you do it other way , from bronze , brass or whatever you use ,material will get INSIDE between sanding line/look at them like they are file teeth/ and that will be harder to clean then epoxy ......... :) Sorry for my bad English :thumbsup:[/QUO
I don t know what kind of finish you have where epoxy is but scrap it in direction of last grinding/sanding direction , it will be easier ... if you do it other way , from bronze , brass or whatever you use ,material will get INSIDE between sanding line/look at them like they are file teeth/ and that will be harder to clean then epoxy ......... :) Sorry for my bad English :thumbsup:
i sanded to 2500 :/

Yes its clean steel. I should have been clearer. The knife had fine vertical grind lines. After the glue was removed, the grind lines on that spot were gone too. Thats why its shinier.
Is that after you use the acetone? I sanded it to 2500 so I’m looking for Shiny

I use a small piece of copper ground to a chisel point. It works great - I think I saw it recommended by AVIGIL. No scratches left behind even on mirrory blades that seem to pick up faint scratches in the blink of an eye

Well , that is really weird .... I can not imagine how this could happen ? Epoxy is not erosive to do that ? Are you sure that that was not epoxy jammed in finish ?
The reason I recommend to scrap epoxy from blade in direction of final sanding is exactly that .That way epoxy will pop up complete .In opposite way there is good chance that part of epoxy will remain in that micro channels...

I use a small piece of copper ground to a chisel point. It works great - I think I saw it recommended by AVIGIL. No scratches left behind even on mirrory blades that seem to pick up faint scratches in the blink of an eye
Yep, glad it works out for you. I only use copper now due to everything else marring the finish.

Back