Little SAK's and old school tech.

Thank you. Photograph says a lot. I will be needing to get one of those. Oops, there goes that power of suggestion, again!
I don't think you'll be disappointed, they pair very nicely with a 2 layer sak. With my small tinker it gets the weight down to less than my old juice s2. Hardly notice them tucked into my lfp

I don't think you'll be disappointed, they pair very nicely with a 2 layer sak. With my small tinker it gets the weight down to less than my old juice s2. Hardly notice them tucked into my lfp
I have a pliers similar to that I bought from the Snap-On guy when he stopped at dad's repair shop about 50 years ago and they work good and are still in excellent condition. I just wish I had a pair that were smaller and more pocket sized. Seeing yours in your hand really convinced me.

They don't have gears or anything, they're just a convenient size, and German quality. The button in the middle is the adjuster and they open pretty wide for a small tool. View attachment 1382870
I find them indispensable on brake jobs, and most importantly moving the grate around on my charcoal grill!
I just bought a pair of the 5" size to keep in my glove box. I was able to pick them up for $17 which strikes me as a helluvadeal.

I just bought a pair of the 5" size to keep in my glove box. I was able to pick them up for $17 which strikes me as a helluvadeal.
I have looked online at a couple of places and $26 is the lowest I have found so far and of course then there is postage. I would say you did very well at that price.

I’d never heard of Knipex pliers, either. I learn something new every day. Thanks! Those look excellent, a perfect companion to an SAK, and a great alternative to carrying a pliers-based multi-tool.

Jim

What's great about the Knipex Cobras is they are locking. There's a video on YT showing a guy who says he's 175# standing on a locked pair of the 5" size (locked on a pipe) and they don't budge.

Are those knipex about the same size as the smallest Channel locks?
I'm not familiar with the full channel lock line up, the ones I carry are 5" cobras. There's a couple of guys over in the traditional forum that edc a pair of channel lock ignition pliers... I can tag them if you'd like.

I wonder if downsizing is just part of the growing 'older' process where you have learned from experience what you need, and more importantly, what you don't need?
I think that is partly true.
But I also think that it is mostly driven by our daily habits and tasks...
When I was younger, and much more adventurous, I used more tools than I do these days.

And it depends upon one's living conditions as well...
A farmer or rancher will probably need a different everyday carry knife or tool than say a economist who lives in a high rise apartment.
A home owner will typically have to do minor repairs around their home at any given moment, while an apartment renter will typically just put in a maintenance request.

The SAK's are 58 & 91mm. The pliers & clamping wrench are 125mm. The adjustable Ti wrench is 4".View attachment 1383399
That clamping wrench looks like it has one heck of a mechanical advantage! The Knipex website says it will open to 7/8" which is a very handy range. Plus it is less than 4 ounces. Until this thread I had not heard of Knipex in my 68 years of walking this orb. I must be living a sheltered and protected life? They have quite an assortment of specialized tools. Who is the maker of the TI adjustable Crescent style adjustable wrench? That can't weigh much? I have also never seen a SAK with ventilated, heat shedding scales before. I better not croak yet there is more to learn here on the Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives forum!

Last edited:
That clamping wrench looks like it has one heck of a mechanical advantage! The Knipex website says it will open to 7/8" which is a very handy range. Plus it is less than 4 ounces. Until this thread I had not heard of Knipex in my 68 years of walking this orb. I must be living a sheltered and protected life? They have quite an assortment of specialized tools. Who is the maker of the TI adjustable Crescent style adjustable wrench? That can't weigh much? I have also never seen a SAK with ventilated, heat shedding scales before. I better not croak yet there is more to learn here on the Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives forum!

The clamping wrench might not do the final tightening on a large nut, but it is handy for holding the head of a bolt while tightening a nut with a proper socket wrench. I got the Ti wrench from CountyComm. The skeletonized SAK Waiter was made by sakmodder (Robert Lessard).

Dang! That little wrench (which is sold out) sells for $50!?! The locking 125mm Knipex Cobras make more sense IMO and are half the price.

The offset notch in the jaws of the Cobra would be easier on the bolt head or nut. Has Knipex been in the USA for decades or is the importation fairly recent?

If you're asking me, I couldn't tell you but they've been in business in Germany for 138 years. Check out their website: knipex.com.

The offset notch in the jaws of the Cobra would be easier on the bolt head or nut. Has Knipex been in the USA for decades or is the importation fairly recent?
I'm fairly certain they've been around a while, I'm actually pretty sure that snap on's pliers are made by knipex, at least the ones I've seen in the shop I frequent.

Back