1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Lock problems with zt0300?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Knife-geek, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Knife-geek

Knife-geek

Nov 21, 2013
    I jst recently took my ZT 0300bw apart to clean and oil it and when I put it back together the lock was very sticky and rough. Has anyone else had this problem? Now when I grip the knife firmly the lock creaks because the lock bar is being pushed further under the tang of the knife then it's very difficult to disengage the knife. I hope you can help I'm very disappointed .

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. twid

twid

Apr 7, 2009
    Might have oil on the lock bar face. A few of my framelocks would stick like that if I put too much oil that would make it's way down there. The lube allows the lock to travel over more easily than before.

3. Knife-geek

Knife-geek

Nov 21, 2013
    I cleaned both surfaces and it's still doing it. Will it eventually go away?

4. twid

twid

Apr 7, 2009
    Pencil on the bottom of the blade where the lock bar contacts always worked on my striders. On some knives it would eventually wear a pattern and go away. On my SnG I would have to use a pencil every time I cleaned it.

5. sh00ter01

sh00ter01

Sep 26, 2007
    Cleaned with what? If there's oil on the surfaces a simple wipe with a clean rag wont do.

I'd suggest taking the back apart, cleaning it again to make sure there's no oil residue affecting the lock (hot soapy water or use a degreaser). When you oil the pivot use VERY little oil; I put A drop of CLP on my finger and work a washer back and forth between it and my thumb before placing it for reassembly (it leaves only a thin film of oil on each washer, which is all you need).

If the issue persist you can contact ZT or use the the pencil on the blade tang trick that twid suggested.

6. cutter17

cutter17

May 16, 2006
    What shOOter said. You can use a Sharpie to paint the surface face's and it tends to stay on longer than the pencil lead graphite. Did you twist the stop pin around when you reassembled it? Sometimes rotating the stop pin can change the lockup position.

7. daveb068

daveb068

Jan 7, 2013
    If it wasn't doing it before, I would definitely say there is to much oil in there. Like stated earlier a simple wipe will not help the issue if oil is the issue. Take it apart and clean it with soap and water, lightly oil then reassemble. You would be surprised at what a little oil will do when it gets where it shouldn't be.

8. bladeboss

bladeboss

Mar 6, 2012
    ZT300s don't have stop pins. The thumb studs are the stopper.

9. chester22

chester22

Feb 1, 2012
    Why would you girl your knife. That voids the warranty... :D

So yeah clean all that oil off of it really good. I don't really see the point of oiling an Assisted knife and one that has a coating (DLC BW) too.

10. Knife-geek

Knife-geek

Nov 21, 2013
    I cleaned it with hot water with dawn soap. I barely used any oil. The surfaces are rough it seems and I made sure there's absolutely no oil anywhere on the lock surface or the part of the tang that the lock touches. Do you guys think that the lock bar could've gotten a little disfigured or something by getting shoved to far under the tang?

11. sh00ter01

sh00ter01

Sep 26, 2007
    Possibly. What do you use the knife for? Did you first notice it after some hard cutting/heavy use?

12. Knife-geek

Knife-geek

Nov 21, 2013
    No it was completely fine before I took it apart and when I put it back together it was like that. And I use it for pretty much any cutting task. Like packages, boxes anything that ever needs cut.

13. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    It should wear in. Use a dab of marker or put it together again.

14. chester22

chester22

Feb 1, 2012
    Could always send it home to ZT and have them take a look.

15. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Honest question.... If the knife was fine when you got it, why would you take it apart? I mean, it's your knife and you can do with it anything you see fit, but it makes no sense to me. :confused:

16. sh00ter01

sh00ter01

Sep 26, 2007
    Alright, another few questions. How dirty was it when you took it apart? Have you done any tasks with it that would put a negative pressure on the blade? OR, have you done any tasks that would put tons of positive pressure on the blade?

Just trying to narrow things down. Obviously something happened somewhere that is causing the issue, it could have happened long prior to cleaning and now that there's no 'dirt' to act at intermediate between the blade tang and lock face the issue is showing itself.

17. KnottyEagle

KnottyEagle

Aug 10, 2012
    I don't know about him, but I take apart every new knife I get. I clean it, lube it, and make sure everything is working like it should.

18. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Again, if something is working as it should, there is no need to "make it better". I guess I'm just crazy.

19. o4tg

o4tg

Jun 12, 2013
    Possibly. I don't know many grown men who don't like knowing the ins and outs of their belongings.

20. chester22

chester22

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm with this guy..