Lock stick

Just bought my first emerson and love the knife overall...........everything is perfect except the lock stick.
The lock stick is a deal killer for me.........is there anything that can be done to remedy this ?
Do they fix under warranty ? or do they all do this until a break in period ?
If this is normal .....this is my last emerson .....LOL
The harder it opens of course the more it sticks .........is there any help available ?
Thanks dj

My experience is that it breaks in, and the "stick" becomes more mild. But it never feels like disengaging a frame lock with a steel insert. Frankly, I don't mind the liner lock "sticking"... better sticking than slipping.

There is an older thread about this issue; run a search, good info to be found.

I think, You have to slightly change the angle of the contact liner.
I did it on my HD7 with diamond file.
Just increase the angle

Just bought my first emerson and love the knife overall...........everything is perfect except the lock stick.
The lock stick is a deal killer for me.........is there anything that can be done to remedy this ?
Do they fix under warranty ? or do they all do this until a break in period ?
If this is normal .....this is my last emerson .....LOL
The harder it opens of course the more it sticks .........is there any help available ?
Thanks dj

Emersons are overpriced knives some people love. Not a modern luxury knife.

Emersons guys are so gnarly that they don’t even know what lockstick is, they never even noticed it.

Honestly they are a bit crap built sometimes. If you buy like 9 Emersons you get like 5-6 ultra sweet ones.

Well Ive sent emerson an email asking and hope they tell me to send it into them ...........using thewave its even tougher to unlock.
Thanks for all the responses though .........
I love the knife overall ........I hope I just got a faulty machined one ...........LOL
Ifnot , thats it for me as far as his knives go ......LOL

Emersons are overpriced knives some people love. Not a modern luxury knife.

Emersons guys are so gnarly that they don’t even know what lockstick is, they never even noticed it.

Honestly they are a bit crap built sometimes. If you buy like 9 Emersons you get like 5-6 ultra sweet ones.

It's definitely been a craps shoot... the one I have now--Outlaw/ Signature Series--is very well done. I have not always been so lucky. If you really want one, it's best to communicate with the dealer. They (most, at least) will hand pick one for you if you email or call. I'd love an El Bandito... or so I think. My Hinderer Gen 6 get the most pocket time lately.

It's definitely been a craps shoot... the one I have now--Outlaw/ Signature Series--is very well done. I have not always been so lucky. If you really want one, it's best to communicate with the dealer. They (most, at least) will hand pick one for you if you email or call. I'd love an El Bandito... or so I think. My Hinderer Gen 6 get the most pocket time lately.

If you love Emerson style but want a knife with the modern well built features you expect then check out a Hinderer Firetac. The ti they use on it is thinner and thus the knife is thinner than other Hinderers but still super strong.

Thanks all ...........its definitely going to Emerson or back to where I bought it.

If you love Emerson style but want a knife with the modern well built features you expect then check out a Hinderer Firetac. The ti they use on it is thinner and thus the knife is thinner than other Hinderers but still super strong.
Cool, I'll check that out. :thumbsup:

I was an "Emerson guy" for years, but finally got tired of the lock stick. I did all the "fixes" to my Emersons, but found Hinderer to be more consistent in fit/finish. After trying my first XM-18, when they started to becoming more available years ago, I divested my Emersons. I just might have to try another Emerson one of these days to see what they are like now.

Last edited:
I sent my knife off to emerson today to see what they can do for me ...........
A little stick I can understand , but I had STUCK , not stick ......LOL
I hope they can do something , cause I loved everything else about it.

Anyone mentioning lockstick on an Emerson forum needs to sit in the corner and educate themselves with some more Youtube videos before returning and allowed to post here.

Lockstick.
Is.
A.
Deliberate.
Part.
Of.
The.
Original.
Titanium.
Linerlock.
Design.

You guys modding your interfaces and weakening your springs are doing so foolishly, in complete ignorance of the forces and specs at play.

Like colubrid said:

Try educating yourself before judging a specific item based on standards not meant for it.

If you want a fidget spinner and pretty thumbs, a Kizer, or any one of 100+ other sterile chinese clones of each other will suit your needs much better.

Some here dont realize the main problem here ......... I dont think the knife design was meant to have you carry a screw driver to unlock your knife .....LOL
Iam sure a little sticking is ok in the design

Yes there are extremes. Sometimes.

And I'm not going after you personally.

This subject just triggers my Forest Whitaker Eye something fierce.

Just follow the good advice and let it break in before you make a verdict, and ignore the misinformed people hating on Emerson out of their own ignorance. You should be good to go.

Back