Lockbar procedure

For all the folder makers out there I was wondering how other people bend they’re lockbars specifically liner locks. Do you heat and bend or cold bend? Do you try to make a gradual bend or a sharp bend near the base? What thickness do you consider max before needing a cutout? On another note has anyone come up with an ideal lockbar width relative to thickness and length some kind of ratio to determine all three?

Depends on thickness but generally heat to bend (95%) of time. Always have a gradual bend. On thinner liners you can cold bend pretty easily. Thickest I’ve used without relief is 1/16”, and usually I add a subtly barely noticeable relief at that thickness. Length varies for me with design but I try to cut lockbars close to down the middle for strength reasons.

this is a frame lock but you get the idea
ZgxRATi.jpg

Depends on thickness but generally heat to bend (95%) of time. Always have a gradual bend. On thinner liners you can cold bend pretty easily. Thickest I’ve used without relief is 1/16”, and usually I add a subtly barely noticeable relief at that thickness. Length varies for me with design but I try to cut lockbars close to down the middle for strength reasons.

this is a frame lock but you get the idea
ZgxRATi.jpg
Nice work! Thanks for replying. I usually will cut a relief for anything over .050 I haven’t tried cold bending yet always felt heating was the foolproof way to avoid distorting something

I am pretty new to this (only linerlocks so far, about 30 of them), but I bend liners cold, gradually. I use 1.5mm stock.

I always cold bend... Never had an issue. And I bend entire scales that are . 150" thick sometimes

Back