Lockbar question (see photos)

trackstar55

Gold Member
A dear friend of mine sold me this knife. It is an older one with no “Idaho Made” stamp. It has also been scotchbrite’d. I absolutely love the finish on it. One of my favorite Sebenza’s.

Question can you take a look at the lockup? The lockbar is almost touching the other scale. ALMOST. I am not saying I am going to do anything about it now or down the road, but just a question.......does Chris Reeve Knive’s replace just the lockbar side if needed? At a cost I assume and fine with. Or do they not do that?

I would hate to lose one side but I would request they not touch/refinish the logo side.

It has been a great knife. I wish the scotchbrite finish showed up better in the photos. Looks like a battlefield pick up small Sebenza.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/bMr6Dcu

I'm thinking once it's been modified <including Scotchbrite-ing> your warranty is voided ...

Don't know about buying a new factory lock side, but knowing CRK factory practices as I do, I'd say they'd have to custom fit and may not want to do that because of the warranty status.

On the bright side, I've found a super late lockup to be preferable over a super early lock up anyways. Of course I know you're wanting the Goldilocks "sweet spot."

In the short term, I'd say use her up until she got sloppy or unsafe. Then-- if CRK refuses repair or warranty service-- invest in a carbidizer*, build up your lockface a bit and dial her back in to factory lockup tolerances. I'd say she'll last ya the rest of your timeline with that.

FWIW, I really wish Scotchbrite-ing didn't void the warranty, because it's a look I find extremely appealing...have you seen the bright/dull contrast on an Umnumzaan? A StarTac is even more stunning! ...take a gander a the end of this post >>>>>>>

*And yes, I realize CRK lockfaces are carburdized, not carbidized, I was just suggesting a worst case scenario solution to the OP's problem if he has no other legit CRK factory options.

V22BQes.jpg

Thanks for the great reply! And great photo! I totally agree with you about the scotchbriting!

How does changing the exterior finish on the handles only void a warranty? It’s not like anything internal was modified/changed nor was the blade touched.....makes no sense.

V22BQes.jpg

What process did you use for this look? Tools, chemicals?

Super simple...green scotchbrite pad laid flat on a firm, flat surface...I have a granite sink cut out slab that I use for jobs like this...but it doesn't have to be that heavy duty >>> just flat and substantial.

Held the scotch bite pad with my left set of fingers, placed my 4 right fingers on the inside of the slabs, and this is key....
use only the weight of the slabs themselves to press the handles onto the pad...your fingertips are just there to apply enough tactile sticky-ness to keep the slabs moving across the pad. Keep your touch super light and let the pad do the work >>> too much pressure will compress the pad into your darker contrasting areas. Also, I'd suggest keeping your scratch pattern in one direction. Very easy, therapeutic, and fun modification that makes the knife sexier, IMHO.

As for the warranty voiding, I'm guessing the CRK policy is that way with refinishing because some users might actually go to extremes and extend their finishing efforts to crucial areas like lockfaces, pivots, etc. and cause A BUNCH of headaches and PITA repairs to get the knife back up to CRK's EXACTING standards...so they just dismiss them all out of hand rather than sort out which ones they can service easily.

Think about it, it takes valuable bench time just to break down a blade to inspect whether or not it is repair-able. :eek: Can't say as I don't blame 'em.

No chemicals were used besides mineral spirits to clean the swarf off the finished slabs. Nice, right? ;):cool:

Sebenza's have latter lockup than many brands you may be used to. Spec is something like 50-75% but many are latter. Once they settle in they don't move much if at all. It can be right up to the scale as long as the lockup remains solid and you can disengage it. I wouldn't worry at this time. If a problem does develop you would have to contact CRK, they decide case by case on modifications. They are nice honest people and if they refuse to fix it there is a reason.

Sebenza's have latter lockup than many brands you may be used to. Spec is something like 50-75% but many are latter. Once they settle in they don't move much if at all. It can be right up to the scale as long as the lockup remains solid and you can disengage it. I wouldn't worry at this time. If a problem does develop you would have to contact CRK, they decide case by case on modifications. They are nice honest people and if they refuse to fix it there is a reason.

Good to know! Do you know of any knives they've serviced that have had the Scotchbrite handle treatment?

th

Good to know! Do you know of any knives they've serviced that have had the Scotchbrite handle treatment?

th
At one time it was not a problem and I have had a couple re-blasted and one they re-heat treated the lockbar. I have also had at least one(more recently) refused for a re-blast. They don't like re-blasting them is the corners are at all rounded-doesn't come out with a crisp corner. I don't know if they would do a lockbar replacement. I think they likely would if nothing else is screwed up, but I am just guessing.

The lockup is fine. No issues.

However, the scales are bead blasted from the factory. Looks like yours are bead blasted too? Hard for me to tell from the photos.

You'd have to take off a lot of material in order to remove idaho made. Are you sure it's not a clone? Did it come with an offical card? Iirc there were some really old ones that were not stamped. But can't remember how long ago that was. 2011 ish maybe? The card would say when it was made.

Last edited:
The lockup is fine. No issues.

However, the scales are bead blasted from the factory.

You'd have to take off a lot of material in order to remove idaho made. Are you sure it's not a clone? Did it come with an offical card? Iirc there were some really old ones that were not stamped. But can't remember how long ago that was. 2011 ish maybe? The card would say when it was made.
Better yet the scale codes (on inside of scales)would

Reactions: Mo2
It's much better to have late lockup IMO, I would have no worries using that knife. On the flipside I have had knives with early lockup that I didn't feel comfortable with in hard use situations. Save the money and enjoy that knife with confidence :thumbsup::thumbsup:

trackstar55 trackstar55 , sent you a PM, if it were mine, I wouldn’t worry about it. It still has many years of reliable use with the later lock up.
It can be adjusted to have earlier lock up, but there’s a chance other annoying issues may arise from an adjustment that won’t affect the reliability of the knife.

trackstar55 trackstar55 , sent you a PM, if it were mine, I wouldn’t worry about it. It still has many years of reliable use with the later lock up.
It can be adjusted to have earlier lock up, but there’s a chance other annoying issues may arise from an adjustment that won’t affect the reliability of the knife.

Got your Pm and thanks.

I share your optimism! I think I have several years left as well. Just curiousnis CRK would replace the lockbar side only for a cost. Maybe I’ll email them and ask. It’s a good knife to flick open.

I do know if I slowly open it, I can see where it used to lock and stop. But if I open it normally and fast, it goes to the same spot it currently is.

It’s factory made, no stamp, early model in S30V. I love the finish on this knife. The scotchbrite finish is very nice. I’ll try to take some better photos.

Reactions: Mo2
image.jpg I bought a small regular with swedge off the exchange that the owner scotch brighted the presentation side. Crk reblasted it for me. From my understanding it was a case by case basis. This was 4 years ago roughly

As others said I wouldn't worry about the lockup I've several near that that were carried for years still ...

It may just be the pictures but it doesn't appear that the scales have had a scrotchbrite scrub or if they did it was very light and not taken to shiney slick silver finish most scrotchbrited knives show.

but I think youll get plenty of use out of it ... and I do believe as some said CRK goes on a case by case as far as a spa treatment on a scrotchbrite finish.

The lock doesn't look all that bad. Also, the scotchbrite deal isn't 100%. they have taken scotchbrited knives in, reblasted them and returned them to factory and reinstated the warranty.

Back