Lockup change after disassembly normal?

Hello all. I recently purchased an emerson sheepdog that was used but in mostly new condition. Playing with it for a couple of weeks the lock up was consistently 30%-50% regardless of how hard I snapped it open. There was alot of dust and lint inside the liner so I decided to take it apart and do a full cleaning and lube with ballistol. I did make note of the order of the stand offs were on the knife. The screws for that might have 1 or 2 not in the original order. Now the lock up is at least 50% to 100% and releasing the blade is significantly harder. Not hard enough to need something to pry it back, but it does take way more effort that it isnt a one handed operation anymore. Changing the pivot tension from very tight to very loose does not affect the lock up action. The knife mechanics seem real basic and I cant think of what would change the lock up like this. Does any one have any ideas as to what has happened and what the solution is?

Give this a try, as it is likely the alignment of the pivot causing the change in lockup (it shouldn't have changed to answer your question).

How do I center the blade on my Emerson?
From Rachael Emerson:
1) Loosen the handle screws until they are very loose but not falling out. If you have a backspacer model, you will need to loosen the handle screws from both sides of the knife.
2) Loosen the pivot 1 1/2 times from where you prefer it tightened to.
3) Open the knife.
4) Tighten the handle screws from bottom up, then tighten the pivot.
5) Close the blade, your knife should be centered

The stop pin may have been installed in a different position causing the lockup to change. Also try loosening all the screw and shifting then lock side up and the other side down, while the knife is closed.

Doesn't this knife have bearings? If it does you may have assembled it wrong.

So I first tried the blade centering trick. That had no effect. Took it apart and flipped the stop pin and that did the job. As far as I can tell it is just a pin with equal diameter on both sides. It looks exactly the same to me at least. But flipping it corrected the lock up back to 30%-50%. The sheepdog does have bearings. So it goes liner, bearing, washer, blade, washer, bearing, liner. Thanks all for the helpful input in fixing this.

So it goes liner, bearing, washer, blade, washer, bearing, liner. Thanks all for the helpful input in fixing this.
Pretty sure you have your bearings and washers switched...the bearings should be between the washers and the blade.

I bought this second hand and that is how I found the washers/bearings placed. I believe you are correct. I took off the pivot screw on my Iron Dragon and I can see the bearings are contacting the blade directly so I assume the washer is between the bearings and liner.

Back