Loctite issue?

Hi everyone...new here! I recently aquired a zt 0450. I bought some new standoffs to install but when I try to loosen the pivot screw it will not budge. Any tips?
Looking forward to learning alot from everyone. Only been collecting for about two years now.
Thanks!

Are you using good torx bits? Cheap ones can slip and strip your heads. How much torque are you applying, do you feel like you are using so much force the head might strip?

Yeah, I actually just ordered a new torx set. I do have a benchmade set already. I guess I will try the new torx bit first and take it from there. Just didn't think it would be so difficult...ugh
Thanks for your feedback...really appreciate it.

One method-- heat up some water (boiling) dip knife in water. Heat should soften the loctite enough for you to remove the screws. Instead of loctite on the screws upon replacement use finger nail polish. It is much easier to break loose. Loctite causes lots of problems if too much is used. DO USE THE CORRECT TORX BIT!

Yep, just ordered a Wiha set.
I will try the hot water...thanks.
Thanks for the tips!

I don't think they use locktite. But they might for this model. It's been such a long time since I got it. I've opened mine up to many times to count. Most zt's don't have it though

Last edited:
The benchmade set is fine. I have one. Like others said, heat up the pivot.

Yes heat is your friend, I use a soldering iron but go slow not too much heat. I will hold the iron for a few seconds then check with my driver then heat a few more seconds check again. I haven't ran across a knife that I couldn't get apart. I have a 0450 and mine was packed with locktite. You have to use too quality torx bits on it..

Wiha makes good torx drivers.

I’ve never heard of Wiha, do they have a warranty?
I’ve always used Snap-On’s. If the price is reasonable and they have a warranty I sure would like to return the Snap-On’s to my tool box. Thought about buying another set of snappy’s but they were like $100 if I remember right.

I’m sure I could duck duck go this and find out, what’s the fun in that though.

I’ve never heard of Wiha, do they have a warranty?
I’ve always used Snap-On’s. If the price is reasonable and they have a warranty I sure would like to return the Snap-On’s to my tool box. Thought about buying another set of snappy’s but they were like $100 if I remember right.

I’m sure I could duck duck go this and find out, what’s the fun in that though.
https://www.wihatools.com/no-hassle-guarantee

Definitly worth the $, i don't believe a guy who knows how to properly use tools would ever need the warranty though.

Definitly worth the $, i don't believe a guy who knows how to properly use tools would ever need the warranty though.

As a mechanic I don’t know what I would’ve done without warranties. The reason I always bought Snap-On is because they would warranty worn out tools where as my Matco dealer would not. I don’t care who makes it, tools will wear out and or break. Too many times I have snapped sockets in half using them properly (most likely due to wear). As the OP is finding out, The one thing that can not be taught is how to finesse out screws and bolts. You have to learn this the hard way. I can see how a driver set used exclusively on knives might not need a warranty, I’m just a stickler.

Edit: Though I don’t think Wiha is made in the states it seems to have a good warranty, maybe I will check these out. Thanks shinyedges shinyedges

Last edited:
As a mechanic I don’t know what I would’ve done without warranties. The reason I always bought Snap-On is because they would warranty worn out tools where as my Matco dealer would not. I don’t care who makes it, tools will wear out and or break. Too many times I have snapped sockets in half using them properly (most likely due to wear). As the OP is finding out, The one thing that can not be taught is how to finesse out screws and bolts. You have to learn this the hard way. I can see how a driver set used exclusively on knives might not need a warranty, I’m just a stickler.

Edit: Though I don’t think Wiha is made in the states it seems to have a good warranty, maybe I will check these out. Thanks shinyedges shinyedges

The wiha set used one knives should last an eternity. I have used warranties for ratchets several times so I get your concern. The forces applied to the pretty small torx heads shouldn't be an issue used properly. Tools with heavy loads have definite life spans.

I will second? third? fourth? agree with other posters. Wiha is the way to go. I have/had the benchmade set and actually broke the tip off the torx bit! Lol. Coulda just been my particular set tho. Im in construction and appreciated/own quality tools. (Wenga, snipex, hilti, etc.) Ever since i bought my Wiha mini torx driver set for knife disassembly, i havent been disappointed. They make a great tool!! I would suggest the series of drivers with the bigger handle grip...not the mini handle set. Just my opinion.
MittenStateMashers MittenStateMashers is right, finessing tiny loctited screws out is not something that can be taught. Let your hands do the "feeling" of whether the tool and screw can take more torque. If not, use heating method. :)
Also, never use red loctite on a knife! Purple is my go to, blue if i must, and only a tiny amount. Ive never tried nail polish.
Hope this helped.

Edit: spelling...darn little phone buttons. Lol.

I think on the 0450, your need two Torx bits for the Pivot. I have two sets, "s-shaped" ones (one side T6, the other T8, for instance) to hold the counter side, and normal screw driver type torx drivers for the front. Both from Wiha. Make sure the torx drivers go as deep as possible into the screws, easy to ruin the screws with ZT.

Back