loctite

Is preferred to use loctite on the Umnumzaan or Sebenza 25 pivots? Or could I use teflon tape instead?

Teflon tape isn't actually used to seal threads or keep screws in place. It's used to create a non liquid "lubrication" for the threads so you can tighten screws down more or have them go in smoother. They do sell a teflon thread sealer, it's kind of the consistency of grease, but dries hard like clay. It's easier to break the bond of it and if you got a tube at an auto parts store, i'm sure with the amount you would need you could pass the knife and the tube down a few generations in your family lol. The nice thing about the thread sealant vs loctite is no heat is needed, and it wont pull out threads. But it will keep things from backing out.

^That's correct, however I have had good results using teflon tape in place of locktite.

I have tried teflon tape for a while and it does not do the job that loc-tite does. It does stiffen the thread a bit but it does not lock the thread the same way one sees with low strength purple loc-tite. It will work for a while but you will see the pivot loosen up sooner or later. As mentioned that is not what teflon tape is for any way, it is used to seal threads rather than lock them. :)

I use red lock tight, it works well for me and it easy enough to remove. I have not tried the tape, maybe you should be the tester for us and let us know how it goes:thumbup:

I have tried teflon tape for a few things (knives and carburetors, and yes, I used the yellow tape for the carb) and it keeps the screw from completely loosening but it does nothing to keep the screw exactly where you left it. Teflon is one of the slickest substances known... do not use it to secure anything.

Use the proper tool, Loctite or any other thread-locker. Loctite 243 is oil-resistant, unlike Loctite 242... :D

Good luck. :)

Red?! Red is one of the strongest you can get. I would advise against red. Blue or purple

Indeed, purple or blue are as stong as you should use on a knife and they are intended for use on screws and nuts that will be undone. I probably wouldn't even use blue on a pivot though and using red is just asking for problems.

Indeed, purple or blue are as stong as you should use on a knife and they are intended for use on screws and nuts that will be undone. I probably wouldn't even use blue on a pivot though and using red is just asking for problems.

Ditto, red is asking for broken tools and stripped screwheads. My hunch is that the recommendation for purple on the Umnumzaan pivot is because the CRK tool for the original design was made from Delrin and there were probably concerns about people shearing the pins off the tool.

I use red lock tight, it works well for me and it easy enough to remove.
Would I be correct in assuming that you're using blue locktite that's in a red tube? If not and the loctite product itself is red, I'm not sure how you would be able to remove that without heat.

loctite comes in a red tube, permatex blue comes in a blue tube. good observation, i didn't think of that lol.

If you're going to be ordering Loctite 242, instead get the improved 243 formula.
According to this pdf, the newer 243 improves upon 242 by
1. Withstanding higher temp of 360F
2. Improved cure performance on oil-contaminated surfaces
3. Curing without primer, even on inactive surfaces such as stainless steel

Number 2 & 3 seem to apply to our uses. :)

Back