• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Long handled short swords

fod

a la sombra
Long handled short swords, kinda like mini-nagamakis.

All the work of a golok, machete, big knife, light axe in one handy tool.

Clear shooting lanes, mow the lawn, chop wood and just plain impress your friends and scare the crowd at Walmart.

nagamaki001.jpg

nagamaki010-1.jpg

These are purchased blades that I have put handles on. They are 1060 steel and are differentially hardened and both show a hamon, or temper line. Etching would bring more contrast to this line.

Both are full tang with the steel extending to the end of the handle.

Number One

The top one in the photo above has two inner layers of pure kevlar (yellow) sleeve with denim "belt loop" wraps and turksheads on each end of the handle. I have left them uncoated, but I will epoxy coat the wrap on request. I have used a spot of super glue at each crossing to keep it all in place.

Approximate measurements:
31-1/2" OAL
17-3/4" Handle
13" Blade, 1/4" wide

nagamaki012-1.jpg

nagamaki015-1.jpg

Number Two is SOLD and shipped!

The other one has a hardwood core with a kevlar sleeve layer under a carbon fiber/ green fiberglass hybrid sleeve, with black poly cord turksheads epoxy coated permanently in place. The end has a "cap" of orange and carbon fiber laminate.

I also reprofiled the tip into a kind of "golok" tip to give a little more utility at the campsite.

Approximate measurements:
32" OAL
19" Handle
13" Blade, 1/4" wide

nagamaki013-1.jpg

nagamaki014-1.jpg

nagamaki023.jpg

nagamaki011-1.jpg

nagamaki004.jpg

I am asking $190 (now $170!) shipped USPS Priority Mail for your choice of these bad boys.

I will ship international for the actual postage costs and your promise that you do not ask me to lie on the customs forms.

I will add insurance at your insistence and cost, but my responsibility for the package ends when I drop it at the post office.

Paypal preferred, but I will be happy to work with other payment methods.

These are listed at multiple forums, first public "I'll take it" gets dibs.

Thanks for looking,

-Todd

Last edited:
What you made do like like miniature naginata(s) also. I like them a lot

Last edited:
What you made do like like miniature naginata(s) also. I like them a lot

Thank you. In proportion they are like small nagamaki, but they were made from naginata blades:thumbup:

Now THAT'S an arborist's dream! Man I wish a had the $$ right now . . . . .

Allow me to ask, are they single edge or?

What they truly are is stunning IMHO..........Very well done! :thumbup:

I may be interested in either

Regards,

BRIAN

Now THAT'S an arborist's dream! Man I wish a had the $$ right now . . . . .

Thanks, me too:cool:

Allow me to ask, are they single edge or?

What they truly are is stunning IMHO..........Very well done! :thumbup:

I may be interested in either

Regards,

BRIAN

Brian,

Thanks to you too!

They are single edge. They are differentially hardened, so the backside is soft. Therefore it will not keep an edge if sharpened.

Let me know which one to pack up for you:D

-Todd

I will be most happy to take No 2 with the re-shaped nose..........;)

If you give me your Paypal details I'll send the money immediately..........freight extra of course!

As my name says I'm in Perth, Western Australia.

My email is: -

buglerbilly@gmail.com

Regards,

BRIAN

I will be most happy to take No 2 with the re-shaped nose..........;)

If you give me your Paypal details I'll send the money immediately..........freight extra of course!

As my name says I'm in Perth, Western Australia.

My email is: -

buglerbilly@gmail.com

Regards,

BRIAN

Thank you Brian!

I will consider it SPF, and send you an email later today.:thumbup:

Regards,

-Todd

Take a $20 bill (makes it $170!) off the remaining wrapped one...it is feeling neglected here!

It has got to go!

Last edited:
Those are neat Fod , I really like that wrap on the top one . It is all your fault , now I have to make a naginata .

I'm taking the top one with yellow kevlar as discussed via PM.

Thanks!

As per Bimmer1 the denim wrapped one is SPF!

Thanks!

I will be happy to make more per your specs!

Hey Todd,

Just to say the mini-nagamakis arrived safe and well in Oz.........all I need now is a full size one! :eek: :D

Great piece mate, love it shots to follow............

Regards,

BRIAN

That is goods news Brian, no matter how well I pack something like that, I always am a bit concerned.

May it serve you well!:thumbup:

-Todd

Hey the packing was brilliant mate...........here it is with my other latest toys, the Spydie Hole knife is one of Dav Winch's customs, a beautifully smooth opener, the BIG Al Mar is an FBI Pathifinder, one of the Seki City, Japan made ones and the red-face Luminox watch is the latest red 'un for my other obsession in coloured watches, I also have a Seiko Red Monster and a TW Steel A1GP, all red of course!

I'll take better shots and mail them to you...............

1000636.jpg

Regards,

BRIAN

Very Cool Brian!

Looks like you are ready to Kick Ass and Tell the Time!:D

Thanks for the pics

-Todd

Back