Longterm Review: Fallkniven F1

A Fallkniven F1 in VG-10, and zytel sheath has been in my flight bag for at least 14 years. I've used on some camping trips as well. It is a neat little, compact knife that will do most everything a knife should do, from food prep, to wood splitting and everything in between.

Nice review.

...I had a few chips come off my initial factory edge, cutting through a squirrel, but once i got the convex a bit more developed, i never had a recurrance.

Was that squirrel related to Wolverine by any chance? Adamantium bones maybe?...

Really like reading reviews like this one... especially how the knife now looks. Awesome!

Read this review and now thinking of getting myself a Fallkniven F1, never had one before.

The little thread that could...

Fallkniven does make nice knives and they can be had at reasonable price points with a little searching. That said, whenever they come up for sale on the exchange, people blow right past them. I think it's because Fallkniven doesn't make the latest greatest tacti-cool flipper zombie slayer. Whatever :rolleyes:. People who pass them by without giving them a second thought in pursuit of the next best thing are overlooking some great knives, and the F1 is certainly one of them. IMHO, you really can't go wrong with any Fallkniven knife. You just have to find the one you like best. And when you do, don't be surprised if a lot of potential "buys" on your radar go by the wayside in favor of your new Fallkniven. Yes, they are that good.

Nice review. Thanks. Someone else in these pages recently opined similar misgivings about the handle and suggested replacing it. There were examples posted.

While I've always admired the Fallkniven blade and handle design, I've never understood why they use laminated steel. There are so many excellent steels. Why go laminated, especially with VG10? I don't think its about cost savings, Fallkniven knives aren't cheap. So where's the beef?

There are some awesome knives in 3V or Cru Wear or Elmax. So, why would I buy a laminated knife using VG10?

I've got several knives in 3V and the only steel I think could be much better is Cru Wear for fixed blades. JMHO

Last edited:
Great Review!
A real world user report with the kind of mishappenings that occurs in real life.
I'm also guilty of using a steelhammer on the end of a H1 and recognise the marks in the soft outer laminate.
All my FK's have held up well even when they have been abused.
My favorite F1 is the 3G with custom staghandle.
IMGP5845 (1).JPG

IMAG0169.jpg
Yes, I bang on that knife with the orange mallet in the pic.

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
While I've always admired the Fallkniven blade and handle design, I've never understood why they use laminated steel. There are so many excellent steels. Why go laminated, especially with VG10? I don't think its about cost savings, Fallkniven knives aren't cheap. So where's the beef?

There are some awesome knives in 3V or Cru Wear or Elmax. So, why would I buy a laminated knife using VG10?

I've got several knives in 3V and the only steel I think could be much better is Cru Wear for fixed blades. JMHO

VG10 is a good steel for rough use. Even better laminated. Some of their knives use other steels.

Fallkniven knives are actually made in Japan and for that reason they use premium Japanese steels.

Sorry but Fallkniven just dont hack it as far as I'm concerned. I owned the H1, WM1 [for caping] and the A1 in photos.
I was breaking down a cattlebeast for the dogs when the tang snapped inside the rubber handle inspection showed rust inside the 'fracture' that had clearly been there a long time before failure. I dont lever with knives and as a matter of fact dont even batten.
Anyway presumably it was just a fault in manufacture or heat treatment and had been there since I purchased the knife new 3 years earlier. Long story short Fallkniven wouldn't replace despite receipts and going through wholesaler........basically no warranty.
I have sold all Fallkniven and will never use them again.
48158835507_dd42425f8d_m.jpg

I had a Buck 110 that snapped like that. I had it since 1975 or 6. In 93 a friend was cutting some rope with it and the blade snapped off. Same as you, I looked at it and it appeared that there was a micro crack where the blade joins the tang and there was only about 1/4 inch or so of metal that had been holding the blade on for some time. All I could think I had ever done to do that would be sort of breaking a few deer pelvis' with it. It had serious sentimental value and the people at Buck actually put a new blade on the knife for me.

UMluC5t.jpg

I've had an F1 for a long time and it's a wonderful knife, for sure. It might be a top favorite of mine if the handle was more suitable for big hands. Both my F1 and S1 are handicapped by a handle that is a little too small to be optimum, at least for my XL hands.

Back