Shelter Looking for a 2P lightweight tent

Macchina

Gold Member
I used to always hike with buddies and we'd split up the weight of a 3 man tent. I have a few of those but they are 6-7 pounds. I got into hammock camping for the past decade or so and haven't bought a tent in almost 15 years. I'm looking at getting a decent size tent for just myself or 1 of my girls and me (they're currently toddlers). I'd like free-standing if possible. Trying to keep the actual weight under 4 pounds and cost under $200 (the cheaper the better). I'd rather have a super durable 4 pound tent than a non free-standing flimsy 3 pound tent.

What are you using for a 2 person tent?

IMO, REI 'Garage Sales' are where it's at for quality gear on the cheap. As to your question, the Big Agnes Copper Spur and Nemo Dagger are both getting high marks. At around $400 each, they're on the spendy side - but, my GF's son picked up his Nemo for $65 at an REI Garage Sale event. That's something I'll be looking for in a few weeks. (I picked up a new Marmot 0 degree bag for $60 at the last one). Hope that helps...

Wow, I see a Garage Sale coming up soon at a local REI. Looks like I'll be signing up for a membership...

You don't need to be a member to get into the Garage Sale, just to buy merchandise from the sale. You can purchase your membership, along with any merchandise you've grabbed at the sale, at check out. It helps to know what you're looking for and to 'shop' with friends, as the good stuff goes fast. Have fun, and good luck.

I have a lot invested in my hammock setup, but needed a tent for Philmont. I ended up with a Big Agness rattlesnake. Awesome tent. Mine is a 1 person. The copper spur is a little lighter but basically the same thing. The rattlesnake is over 90" long which I needed because I'm 6'3". Most other tents were closer to 80" which is kinda short for me. And the mountain glow feature is amazing. It's not a gimmick. It is awesome..

Reactions: BBW
I went to our local REI Garage Sale today and snagged a Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL3 (fits two normal sized, or three really small people) for $72. It had a small, 3" seam separation at the top that I fixed with Gorilla Tape. It was declared to be Used once, has tear. I think the previous owner didn't follow the set up instructions. This is normally a roughly $450 tent.

There was another, the smaller two person variant, for $75, noted as having a broken pole. It was a fixable break and I was there with a friend that wanted it for his son if I was going to pass, saying that he had a pole repair kit. If he hadn't been there, I would've taken both. But, friends...

Tent 1.jpg
Tent 2.jpg Tent 3.jpg Tent 4.jpg
Tent 5.jpg Tent 6.jpg Tent 7.jpg

It's a smaller tent that will fit two comfortably, and for the price I'm happy. Empty can of silicone waterproofing spray shown for scale. Here are the specs. https://www.bigagnes.com/Tiger-Wall-UL3

Back