Looking for a bowie knife

What's your budget?

Busse Combat has the 9.5 inch Alpha Regulator right now. Three different configurations at three different price points. Order quick and get it at the intro sale price.

0770tvY.jpg

d00fRpS.jpg
naBqiSW.jpg

Got a moment to describe the Moonshiner? I do a double take every time I see that one.

I like their stuff but have only played with the thin stock stainless knives.
I did the same thing and still do double takes on some of their big knives. I just don't use big knives very often. The Moonshiner has a 9" blade, 1075 carbon steel, walnut handle, and non-coated (ie polished). I believe uses 1/4" blade stock which is full thickness in the handle and thins a bit on the blade. The handle is large and shaped along the lines of the Kabar Becker BK-9 (as is the blade). I consider it essentially a knife with the same kinds of uses. About 4 inches of the top edge near the point is ground to a false edge which you could sharpen if you like. Some people don't like this if they baton as the sharper edge will eventually eat up the wood baton. If this is an issue, I would suggest the Ironpath with it's 9.9" blade. (It's a beast.) The blade seems to be a little blade heavy, but balances right in front of the handle which is about right. The sheath is a simple leather sheath similar to other straight Condor knives. It has no safety strap. Overall, I like the knife, but frankly have little use for it other than oogling it from time to time. But I wanted one as soon as Condor came out with the knife.

Last edited:
I'm currently "Bowie-less" right now.

I've owned a few, including the Trailmaster in San Mai, which I sold after years of use.

I've been on a Khukri kick lately.

I still own the Busse WTF battle grade in Sr101 (Busse's recipe using 52100, with their special heat treat). Tan knife in center. 11 inch blade.

UPVTIcJ.jpg

This piece is probably my most "Bowie-esque" currently. (12 inch blade out of 6150) from Geidymin Kapuscinski.

gMXSLZR.jpg

These two Khukri cover a lot of chopping/slashing needs. One is 5160, and the other a recycled large file. (13 inch or so blades)

vCoFy6i.jpg

Here is my old trailmaster and Busse FBMLE (modified by Bill Siegle, who added a swedge and hand shaped the handle scales)

5ApTFj0.jpg

nbCExTy.jpg

Last edited:
I love the TOPS Prather War Bowie. The name is a little stupid but the design just works. Differentially heat treated too

Google dk-only. Big bowies in D2 and 1095. Made in Pakistan but don't let that scare you. I have four so far. They ship from here (US) and arrive in 2-3 days max with free shipping.

I have a custom forged Freerk Wieringa bowie and I highly recommend contacting him if you have money and want a hand forged bowie made to your specs. I seriously cannot recommend his work enough. You can search my old thread to see how that process went from start to finish. Also as a bonus, he makes a wonderful youtube video of you blade being forged so you always have that with your blade. I got a kick out of that.

If you want production, I'd recommend looking into Jesse Hemphill midtechs. They are pretty darn nice and can be had at the low $200 range. I have one (9.25" blade with 80crv2 steel) and it is very well made. Super balance and makes for a great handy blade that you don't even know is over 9" long.

Still need to get an Odin. Have the Tor and MB, both of which I got great deals on, but can't seem to find a good deal on an Odin.

As rover said in an earlier post, a Bowie is a fighting knife. Personally, I like my knives to perform as many functions as possible, so would much rather have a high-quality big knife (and I do) like the Alpha Regulator 9.5, above, or a Bark River Crusader (both have great steel), for example, than a knife made only for fighting. A knife is far from my first choice as a self-defense weapon but, if that's all I had, I would feel well equipped if I had to defend myself with a knife such as this.

-Kabar Becker BK9 "Combat Bowie" (not really all that bowie-like, but a solid user at a great price)
-Kabar Becker BK20 "Bundok Bowie"
no longer in production, but not hard to find if you look in the right place.
Or, if you want something more special, (something like this Randall Model 12-8
DjMNszr.jpg

Last edited:
Contact Buxton knives. He sells Randall’s at the current price no mark up. There are no Bowie’s listed on his site at the moment. I’d call and see when the next one is coming in and how it is optioned. You might get lucky.

Come to think of it a Buxton fighter is very Bowie like too. For that matter the 8inch model 1 above it is more Bowie like than a lot of knives called Bowie’s.

View attachment 1161194

Last edited:
Back