Looking for a bowie knife

Anyone know the most reliable place online to buy a Linder? I have found knifecountryusa.com and knife world LTD that have what I want. In the past I have bought from Bladehq and would trust Knife Center equally however neither site carries Linder. Any help?

With Linder, it's probably a combo of older steel, cost, and style. Linder's are very nice knives, but traditional Bowies are slow sellers once you get above a certain price point. The big market in Bowies is really in camp knives, and Musso or Iron Mistress types.

I ended up going for the Respect. I have it now and it is a very nice knife. Comes with a nice heavy duty sheath but the knife wouldn't go in it at first. After some fighting I got the knife in and fought some more to get the strap for securing the knife buttoned up. Guess I will leave it like that and see if the leather stretches a little.

Last edited:
Boker El Gigante has a blade shape I like. The Stag Bowie is, to my eye, a real looker.

The end of the story (almost). My wife and I went down to the Smoky Mountains this week and stayed in Sevierville, TN. Found this store "Smoky Mountain Knife Works". That is one big store and has knives of all kinds! I looked at and paid for a Buck 120. When I got home and actually looked at the knife it was a Buck 119. I had never seen either knife in person so I didn't know. The 119 looks like the 120 except the 120 is longer (as far as I can tell). I called today to see if I can do an exchange thru the mail and I have the receipt. I have to call Monday and talked to customer service. Seems I am not the first to have this problem. We shall see but won't mind a whole lot if I end up keeping the 119. The next I went back to the store and was looking at MicroTech. As you probably know those are some expensive knives. I just couldn't pull the trigger on one. The day after, as we were leaving, my wife told me to stop at the store and get a knife. I did what any man would and stopped and got a knife :D. Of course we left there and stopped where she wanted to stop and she bought some jewelry (she knew I was paying).

Top down: Spyderco Respect, Buck 119 (hopefully replaced with a 120), MicroTech Ultratech D/E Standard

XSIrpXg.jpg

The end of the story (almost). My wife and I went down to the Smoky Mountains this week and stayed in Sevierville, TN. Found this store "Smoky Mountain Knife Works". That is one big store and has knives of all kinds! I looked at and paid for a Buck 120. When I got home and actually looked at the knife it was a Buck 119. I had never seen either knife in person so I didn't know. The 119 looks like the 120 except the 120 is longer (as far as I can tell). I called today to see if I can do an exchange thru the mail and I have the receipt. I have to call Monday and talked to customer service. Seems I am not the first to have this problem. We shall see but won't mind a whole lot if I end up keeping the 119. The next I went back to the store and was looking at MicroTech. As you probably know those are some expensive knives. I just couldn't pull the trigger on one. The day after, as we were leaving, my wife told me to stop at the store and get a knife. I did what any man would and stopped and got a knife :D. Of course we left there and stopped where she wanted to stop and she bought some jewelry (she knew I was paying).

Top down: Spyderco Respect, Buck 119 (hopefully replaced with a 120), MicroTech Ultratech D/E Standard

XSIrpXg.jpg
KBG3END.jpg

120 & 119. Just sold my 124.

IMO you cant go wrong with the 119. I have and like both but the 119 may be the better allrounder of the two. YMMV.
Further more, the proportions of the 119 seem better. Again just my opinion.
A classic knife.

That Spyderco looks good.

KBG3END.jpg

IMO you cant go wrong with the 119. I have and like both but the 119 may be the better allrounder of the two. YMMV.
A classic knife.

Thanks for the picture BladeScout. I believe I will keep the 119 and order the 120. Since there is no such thing as too many knives, I will just add another knife to the collection.

I agree about the 119 being perfect and the 120 being proportionaly “off”, but still a great knife.

The Buck 100 series are all great knives. Collect them all! Be ready for anything!

view

Last edited:
Reactions: nod
View attachment 1216395 I agree about the 119 being perfect and the 120 being proportionaly “off”, but still a great knife.

The Buck 100 series are all great knives. Collect them all! Be ready for anything!

I don't think I will collect them all but I am good for being ready for anything. I think I will pitch the idea of a his and her knives to my wife ;). Thanks for the picture!

The 117 is not on the picture and it’s a great knife too. Basically a smaller 119. It would be a perfect “hers” knife.

view

Be sure to check out the Buck 212 too.

view

Last edited:
Hello, new member here. I’ve been watching Freerk’s videos for a ling time and just happened to find your old post from last summer. I’m talking with him right now about making me a San Mai bowie.
I really liked the scabbard you had as well. Who was it that made it? I’m having a hard time finding the old post now.
I have a custom forged Freerk Wieringa bowie and I highly recommend contacting him if you have money and want a hand forged bowie made to your specs. I seriously cannot recommend his work enough. You can search my old thread to see how that process went from start to finish. Also as a bonus, he makes a wonderful youtube video of you blade being forged so you always have that with your blade. I got a kick out of that.

If you want production, I'd recommend looking into Jesse Hemphill midtechs. They are pretty darn nice and can be had at the low $200 range. I have one (9.25" blade with 80crv2 steel) and it is very well made. Super balance and makes for a great handy blade that you don't even know is over 9" long.

Hello, new member here. I’ve been watching Freerk’s videos for a ling time and just happened to find your old post from last summer. I’m talking with him right now about making me a San Mai bowie.
I really liked the scabbard you had as well. Who was it that made it? I’m having a hard time finding the old post now.

I got it made from leatherman here on the forum. He owns armoralleather.

Thanks for the picture BladeScout. I believe I will keep the 119 and order the 120. Since there is no such thing as too many knives, I will just add another knife to the collection.
KBG3END.jpg

A classic knife.

There, got it done!!

CBrDlQa.jpg

I am going to add a could of more Bucks in the near future.

Reactions: sv4
Back