Recommendation? Looking for a camping/food prep fixed blade

What's up,

Can someone recommend a good knife to use for food prep during camping/hunting trips?

Looking for something in a fixed blade that I can use to prepare meals, cut meat, etc.

What do you guys prefer?

I got a few ESEEs but that's not really a food prep kind of knife.

BK15

PVUZlUE.jpg

qU3wf83.jpg

The Battle Chef... duh!

olamic-tactical-fox-battlechef-black.jpg

On a more practical note, this is probably what I'd get for food prep duty while camping:

steel-will-roamer-orange-tpe-satin-BHQ-77147-jr-large.jpg

Steel Will Roamer in 9cr18mov. It's well made, a good shape for food prep, inexpensive and 9cr18 performs well.

I like the Grohmann #1 (or Belt knife) a lot. You can get a Second (still almost perfect) from the manufacturer for about $50US with a nice leather sheath. Great for all food prep and processing small animals and fish.

I also like my ESEE 4 for certain applications but it’s blade IS thick.

How about a Buck 119 ( $47 on average )

It was designed to up cut animals / meat, and does it very well.

Other good choices would be an inexpensive mora ( $12 for a companion )

And last and probably the best choice would be a simple Victorinox chefs knife ( $20 for the basic black poly handle )
A kitchen knife will perform the best, but you won't have a sheath.
Usually they'll have a cardboard sleeve on them which you can simply reinforce with tape and put the thing in a large Ziploc bag, maybe not the most knife nut friendly option but very functional.
They may even sell an inexpensive plastic blade cover.

The Battle Chef... duh!

olamic-tactical-fox-battlechef-black.jpg

On a more practical note, this is probably what I'd get for food prep duty while camping:

steel-will-roamer-orange-tpe-satin-BHQ-77147-jr-large.jpg

Steel Will Roamer in 9cr18mov. It's well made, a good shape for food prep, inexpensive and 9cr18 performs well.
The BattleChef! Now I've seen it all!

I'm picturing a zombie-fighting character in a video game wielding that thing in one hand and his cleaver in the other; heavyset fella whose blood splattered apron and chef's hat never manage to fall off. :D

The BattleChef! Now I've seen it all!

I'm picturing a zombie-fighting character in a video game wielding that thing in one hand and his cleaver in the other; heavyset fella whose blood splattered apron and chef's hat never manage to fall off. :D
It's an Olamic and Fox collaboration believe it or not. I quite like it, but it's a bit pricey at $200-300 usually.

Cheap. Mora Stainless

Classic: buck 102/105

One that’s impressed me: Tops Bird and Trout.

My most used camp cooking knife is actually a folder. Spyderco Military. I always carry one in my pack.

Several good suggestions.

Buck, Becker etc.

I had an ESEE - that would have been fine for camp cooking IMO.

I have a Becker 15, 5 & 14 - Id gladly use either of those for camp cooking.

All can be had second hand

Becker BK5, BK15
Busse Park Ranger, Scrapmax
Grohmann Canadian Belt Knife
Come now, the 'experts' tell us that a carbon steel knife will have a rusted edge in a half days rain:rolleyes:

Several good suggestions.

Buck, Becker etc.

I had an ESEE - that would have been fine for camp cooking IMO.

I have a Becker 15, 5 & 14 - Id gladly use either of those for camp cooking.

All can be had second hand

Come now, the 'experts' tell us that a carbon steel knife will have a rusted edge in a half days rain:rolleyes:
Oh... I just thought my knives had a red and pitted patina.
;):D

Depends on your particular environment, your care for the tool, and how corrosive your perspiration is.

I live with tidal salt water within 5 blocks on three sides of my house. I have zero issues with corrosion, but then again, I care for my knives.

Edit to add:
If you search hard enough, you can find some genuine BK7s in S30V (iirc). Just something to think about.

I dont have problems with my carbon steel knives rusting either. I use them in the rain for days on end with no problems.

Strongly suspect its a 'keyboard expert problem':D

If you search hard enough, you can find some genuine BK7s in S30V (iirc). Just something to think about.
That wouldnt be too shabby.

Some nice Beckers out there.

Ive been after a BK17 for a while.

I dont have problems with my carbon steel knives rusting either. I use them in the rain for days on end with no problems.

Strongly suspect its a 'keyboard expert problem':D

That wouldnt be too shabby.

Some nice Beckers out there.

Ive been after a BK17 for a while.
Why not clip a 16? I dropped the spine (as well as the other mods) on this 16.
20160823_181646_zps5s6figfv.jpg 20160823_181527_zpsgtqs6mnh.jpg

OP: if you can't find something you like, you can always have a knife modded or made.

Back