Recommendation? Looking for a camping/food prep fixed blade

This is about the only time I get out a Mora. :D

I keep one with my camping stuff so I don't forget one as I pretty much never use one at any other time.

That’s a lamb splitter. It’s a specialized butcher’s tool, not a versatile bushcraft knife.

I guess a lot of things get called a lamb splitter. When I think of a lamb splitter, i picture more of a narrow cleaver with a squared-off end.

The knife in Ben Dover’s post is generally thought of as a butcher knife, that derives from an older general utility knife or trade knife, common on the frontier in the 1830’s, very useful around the camp or in the kitchen. At that length it might be a bit unwieldy, but shorter versions with blades from 4-7” are quite versatile. They do not split wood all that well, and they don’t make very good prybars, but they cut well enough.

Any new insight on this topic? Good fixed blade specifically for food prep on a cutting board to use during camping. No interest in a do-it-all knife. Like someone said, I am not using this thing to baton wood. Looking for a good thin blade that slices food well.

What's up,

Can someone recommend a good knife to use for food prep during camping/hunting trips?

Looking for something in a fixed blade that I can use to prepare meals, cut meat, etc.

What do you guys prefer?

I got a few ESEEs but that's not really a food prep kind of knife.
Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife or CS Roach Belly?

I guess a lot of things get called a lamb splitter. When I think of a lamb splitter, i picture more of a narrow cleaver with a squared-off end.

The knife in Ben Dover’s post is generally thought of as a butcher knife, that derives from an older general utility knife or trade knife, common on the frontier in the 1830’s, very useful around the camp or in the kitchen. At that length it might be a bit unwieldy, but shorter versions with blades from 4-7” are quite versatile. They do not split wood all that well, and they don’t make very good prybars, but they cut well enough.

From a 1970's Field & Stream article.....
Before "bushcraft" was trendy.

A lamb splitter can be Many things. Mine can split Anything.....this was the biggest, knotty, nastiest log in the pile....

Alot of good knives mentioned...
Esee Junglas
Esee HM series 3-6
Becker 5, 15, 9....and definitely the 62.
Old Hickory
Hudson Bay styles
French Trader styles
Commercial Butcher/ Friedrich Dicks

A company not mentioned yet, but I love and have a few is LT Wright.....I have the V2, it's perfect. They also have a Camp Collection that I'm very interested in, too.

+1

OP questions:
-Can someone recommend a good knife to use for food prep during camping hunting trips?
-What do you guys prefer?

About "tactical kitchen knife", TOPS Pasayten Light Traveler is the classic standard one.
Blade Length- 5.25"
Blade Thickness- .13"/.14"
Price- $140.

Here is an online comparison article:

"It comes with a very practical and high quality, adjustable Kydex sheath and it is made standard with 154CM Steel, an amazing stainless that strongly resists rusting yet takes an edge easily and is soft enough to be durable and resist chipping. The knife is twice cryo treated, too, and this perhaps explains the knife’s almost preternatural ability to hold an edge. Last year, I harvested two deer, a dozen hares and grouse and on the homestead we butchered 100 chickens. I processed them all with the Pasayten and it remained functionally sharp through all that work without even needing an edge touch up. The amazingly comfortable and versatile handle allows the knife to be used in any position and in reverse it’s sort of like an elongated ulu, and it is unbeatable for foraging and butchering game. It is a hair more slender at the spine but equally well balanced and weighs about an ounce less–still very tough but a little more graceful in the hand."
https://cliffseruntine.wordpress.co...bravo-vortex-vs-tops-pasayten-6-months-later/

The Tops Pasayten is good knife for all round camp use and the newer TOPS Frog Market Special is another versatile food processing blade.

View attachment 1106900
View attachment 1106935

Any new insight on this topic? Good fixed blade specifically for food prep on a cutting board to use during camping. No interest in a do-it-all knife. Like someone said, I am not using this thing to baton wood. Looking for a good thin blade that slices food well.
For car camping I take one of these.
ab5076_1.png

A KAI Pure Komachi 2, chefs knife 8". Comes with a sheath. Costs very little, so it's no big deal if it should get lost.
For backpacking I make do with my SAK pocket knife.

O.B.

Honestly, I have been using the BK2 knife for 4 years, and I am very satisfied. I even cut wood to light the fire, it is indestructible and high quality. I recommend. By the way, it might seem inappropriate, but I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend me where I could get a very good flashlight, because the last one I had I ruined, but now I'm looking for something better.

By the way, it might seem inappropriate, but I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend me where I could get a very good flashlight, because the last one I had I ruined, but now I'm looking for something better.

Hi Richard, welcome to Bladeforums!

Not that it bothers me, but a question like that is more typically handled in the Gadgets & Gear subforum. https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/gadgets-gear.731/

I started a thread there to answer your question.

Another stainless Mora companion user.... Mine has the orange handle/sheath and has been packed up with my camping cook gear for 5-6 years.

I have a condor bush slicer which is kind of a dedicated bush food prep knife. And also a men with the pot cleaver.

They are definitely a lot of fun to cook and I love the romance of using a knife like that. And they work pretty well.

Just probably a little expensive if you were a serious performance oriented cook.

Last edited:
Back