Recommendation? Looking for a camping/food prep fixed blade

Thx. I recognize the Finn Bear and Pendleton Lite, but I am no connoisseur of Cold Steel.

Good value for the money but nothing to get shook up about. It was my gateway drug back into knives (the Roach Belly, precisely), so I see these as a nice solution to try out a pattern and see what works (or not) for you.

I keep hearing this bad rap on Moras for food prep, but have never found it to be the case. To be sure, a Mora will split something like a crisp apple before it can slice through. For softer foods, though, if the knife is sharp, it will cut just fine. It might not take translucent tissue-thin slices off a ripe tomato, but it will slice it up into edible pieces.
I agree that you will be able to cut your food into smaller pieces with a mora. It'll get the job done, but it's not an ideal tool for food prep. For meat a scandi works fine, but hard veggies like carrots get shot across the kitchen table when cut with a scandi mora. It's quite frustrating searching for freshly cut carrot pieces underneath your microwave. If I was out in the woods and all I had on me was a scandi grind knife, I would be happy that I have a knife on me, but eh honestly I personally feel scandi grind knives are a bit overhyped. Just my opinion.

But every grind is a compromise at the end of the day...

If you're only going to use it for meal prep, I've been really eyeing the new Benchmade Meatcrafter. I haven't handled the g10 version but the santoprene orange synthetic version is mind blowingly light, virtually weightless. The blade is super thin and I can't even imagine how fast it goes through food. I might get one soon just to force myseslf to cook with it lol

After reading the Ontario Rat thread, I occurred to me that a #1 Rat actually would be an excellent camping/prep knife.

Apart from that, I think that a Cold Steel Code 4 would also be an excellent choice.

Last edited:
What's up,

Can someone recommend a good knife to use for food prep during camping/hunting trips?

Looking for something in a fixed blade that I can use to prepare meals, cut meat, etc.

What do you guys prefer?

I got a few ESEEs but that's not really a food prep kind of knife.

Hello all,

For anyone reading this old thread, here's what I suggest. Save your money for that ONE special Fixed Blade Knife for Camping/Hiking/Hunting/Bushcraft. I speak of the one you really always wanted (such as) a nice Bark River, ESEE, Grohmann #1 Canadian Belt Knife, Custom maker, etc.) That being said, in the meantime, for "Food Prep", I would just purchase (for around twenty five dollars or less) either of these two knives (which would also double as a nice "Woods" Knife).

Dexter Russell Green River Traditional 5" Hunting Fishing Fish Knife 10411 4215​

Old Hickory Hunting Knife 7026 - Carbon Steel Clip Point Fixed Blade - Hardwood Handle - USA Made​

Another option for the "budget minded" person (like your's truly) is to search out "Yard Sales/Flea Markets/Thrift Shops" and look for a nice condition 6" or 8" vintage Carbon Steel "Old Hickory" Butcher Knife. Believe me, these vintage "Old Hickory" Knives can be made SCARY SHARP!

The following Link show a photograph of my modified "Old Hickory" Butcher Knife. Mod was performed by "JKL Knives".

This knife was once a (broken in half) large (I suspect 12-14" Butcher Knife) I rescued from a trash pile.
I could see a "Diamond in the rough". I sent the handle end with about six inches of remaining Blade to JKL
and this it the BEAUTIFUL results! OMG, is this (4 3/4 inches blade) ever SHARP!

HARDBALL

Last edited:
Interesting thread,

I like a good flat grind or convex grind in 4-6" blade length for camp meal chores. My Kephart has been a real winner for me. My wife loves her 3" Childress knife from the exchange here for all her camp cooking(slightly robust parring knife).

What you use in the kitchen? I actually like a 10" for kitchen duty but camping the smaller blade works better as I don't shake my folding table spilling stuff.

Hi Kab,

Seriously, here's what you do. Save your money (and choose wisely) for that one/special Fixed Blade Belt Knife for Camping/Hiking/Hunting/Bushcraft etc. that you always wanted, but first, put aside about twenty five dollars and (for FOOD Prep use) just buy one of these two knives :

Dexter Russell Green River Traditional 5" Hunting Fishing Fish Knife 10411 4215​

Old Hickory Hunting Knife 7026 - Carbon Steel Clip Point Fixed Blade - Hardwood Handle - USA Made​

Another option is to start checking out "Yard Sales/Flea Markets" and find yourself a nice condition 6" or 8" vintage Carbon Steel "Old Hickory". You won't believe how SHARP
these Knives can be made. Scary sharp!

HARDBALL

Uhhhh, dude this thread was started in 2018. Pretty sure he’s made his mind up. Or went on a lot of camping trips with a growling belly.

Uhhhh, dude this thread was started in 2018. Pretty sure he’s made his mind up. Or went on a lot of camping trips with a growling belly.
Yet........ Camping knives are the Best genre of knives. So, let's keep them coming!!!

Oooh, thanks for pointing that out AntDog. I suppose we should ask the Mods to remove this thread as I suspect it no longer has any relevance and/or provide any useful information to those who might happen to stumble upon this thread.

HARDBALL

Oooh, thanks for pointing that out AntDog. I suppose we should ask the Mods to remove this thread as I suspect it no longer has any relevance and/or provide any useful information to those who might happen to stumble upon this thread.

HARDBALL

Just wanted to clue you in that you’re responding to a question that was posted 3 years ago. Pretty sure he’s moved on.

I read old threads all the time if they’re relevant to something I’m researching. I just don’t respond to them like they were posted yesterday.

Just wanted to clue you in that you’re responding to a question that was posted 3 years ago. Pretty sure he’s moved on.

I read old threads all the time if they’re relevant to something I’m researching. I just don’t respond to them like they were posted yesterday.

Fair enough AntDog. I edited my original comment.

Hello all,

For anyone reading this old thread, here's what I suggest. Save your money for that ONE special Fixed Blade Knife for Camping/Hiking/Hunting/Bushcraft. I speak of the one you really always wanted (such as) a nice Bark River, ESEE, Grohmann #1 Canadian Belt Knife, Custom maker, etc.) That being said, in the meantime, for "Food Prep", I would just purchase (for around twenty five dollars or less) either of these two knives (which would also double as a nice "Woods" Knife).

Another option for the "budget minded" person (like your's truly) is to search out "Yard Sales/Flea Markets/Thrift Shops" and look for a nice condition 6" or 8" vintage Carbon Steel "Old Hickory" Butcher Knife. Believe me, these vintage "Old Hickory" Knives can be made SCARY SHARP!

The following Link show a photograph of my modified "Old Hickory" Butcher Knife. Mod was performed by "JKL Knives".

This knife was once a (broken in half) large (I suspect 12-14" Butcher Knife) I rescued from a trash pile.
I could see a "Diamond in the rough". I sent the handle end with about six inches of remaining Blade to JKL
and this it the BEAUTIFUL results! OMG, is this (4 3/4 inches blade) ever SHARP!

JKL Old Hickory Knife - Google Search

HARDBALL

HARDBALL

modified Chicago Cutlery Chefs knife
Hi3D9HK.jpg

modified MAM from Portugal, thin blade and scary sharp slicer
vM6gv7w.jpg

S9VsV3C.jpg

Nowill and Sons butcher knife
Qi7nAuB.jpg

Cold Steel Commercial series scalper and butcher knife

1620611766273.png

1620611993674.png

Last edited:
I bring quite a few knives with me when I go camping, but the ones that stay permanently packed with my camping food prep gear are Mora, one of which is their small fillet knife.

1o656pb.jpg

ZIYBgSM.jpg

vuVeMt5.jpg

nL5j77r.jpg

Now if you're out of town somewhere when an impromptu camping trip pops up and your just throwing some gear together, I'd say a quick trip to Wall-Mart for a Buck 119 will leave you well suited.

57OOm1f.jpg

hbTSviv.jpg

One of my favorite kitchen knives doubles as our camping knife. It’s called the Marttiini Mini Chopper (also called the Big Bear Skinner at some shops). I got mine for $15 and it came with a polished, hair popping edge from the factory - best value in my knife experience. Also the spine scrapes a firesteel better than any other knife I own:
58E08FF5-A6DB-4B6D-B589-17303546AC9B.jpeg
970C4FA7-A434-49CF-8CC9-B1B570EA883F.jpeg
The bad news is that it’s not being produced any longer and I haven’t found any in stock recently.
The good news is that Marttiini has another version coming out soon called the “Cabin Chef” knife, which looks very promising although not as inexpensive:8CDC5B1F-FCC9-45B9-9D76-09ED19371474.jpeg

I know that this is an old thread, but still has relevance to other people.

Lately, I've been using my Becker BK 18 (Harpoon). It has a relatively thin blade that is great for slicing food, yet beefy enough for most camp chores.

What I really like about the BK 18 is the high handle relative to the centerline of the blade. This makes it a bit easier for food prep on a cutting board (or tree stump, as the case may be), as you can still get some good slicing, dicing and chopping action without banging your knuckles on the cutting board.

Back