Recommendation? Looking for a camping/food prep fixed blade

Nice Crag - we have the same tastes in a camp knife. What's the first knife at the top of your first pic (and first on the left of the bottom)?

The one with double red micarta?

It's a joint effort between Esee and L.T. Wright.....I know, pretty cool Huh?
It's called V2 Collective.

It's my only scandi grind.

For food prep in the woods I would definitely take one of these two (top two). Affordable, tough (don't shy from the occasional starter shavings) and most important (IMO), they have a long cutting edge and a full flat grind...
No need for resharpening twice in an evening. They were my kitchen knives for years (this is not a reference for the woods, I know) but they stayed efficient with prolonged sharpening intervals. I suppose they can easily cope with a weekend, or a short holiday in the woods, without frantic resharpening. If ever needed, they are as easy to sharpen as it gets.
I also use the Cold Steel Roach Belly and Canadian Belt Knife for travel food prep knives.

Dirt cheap
laser sharp
Great plastic sheaths for travel purposes
Stainless

What's up,

Can someone recommend a good knife to use for food prep during camping/hunting trips?

Looking for something in a fixed blade that I can use to prepare meals, cut meat, etc.

What do you guys prefer?

I got a few ESEEs but that's not really a food prep kind of knife.
Rapala fish knife. Cheap and sharp.

do you know if the tang on the top knife is a full tang?
It is not. It's a partial hidden tang. The tang goes up about half the length of the handle (tested with a magnet). About 2" on a 4 1/2" handle. The handle is some injected polypropylene. Quite solid but not very pleasant.

Is that big knife w ran handle a browning ?
Yes, good eye.
Probably one of my favorite blades.
The seller here didn't tell me about the flaws in the micarta, and the bent blade/tang.....but I tell you what. The blade itself. The size and shape is Perfect!!!

I rehandled and reshaped the tang.

I wish I could find an American maker to make a higher quality one for a User price.

By far the best I have for food prep if I don't have actual kitchen knives at camp has been the Spyderco Moran. Super sharp VG10 blade and the Thin flat grind works great for food prep honestly. To be fair I rarely carry it and end up using whatever I have on me.

BKTiiyW.jpg

Yes, good eye.
Probably one of my favorite blades.
The seller here didn't tell me about the flaws in the micarta, and the bent blade/tang.....but I tell you what. The blade itself. The size and shape is Perfect!!!

I rehandled and reshaped the tang.

I wish I could find an American maker to make a higher quality one for a User price.
I have one that is still unused. I also like the size and design. Does it make a good user? Edge holding ok?

I have one that is still unused. I also like the size and design. Does it make a good user? Edge holding ok?

If you don't want it.....let me know. 😉😉😉

that knife is perfectly balanced, perfect sized. I Beat mine. It's a chopping machine. And it's convexed. I can't believe it stays so sharp

I bought a similar shaped/sized bowie from a "famous" maker from here. I won't name names..... But it wasn't the same. The B.C chopper is That good.

if you find the handle comfortable?
use it/Love it.

Last edited:
I have knives that cost close to $400, and the B.C. Kicks their ass.
Everyone Should have one

My Only complaint is I wish the handle scales were thicker.
I have big palms....

*Sorry for the drift. :/

I just saw the new Southern Cross Bushcraft X. It has a convex profile similar to a Kephart. Worth looking at IMHO.

Whatever the hell that lamb splitter thing is. I will find one and purchase it.
Still looking? I have a beautiful older lamb splitter by Steiner of St Louis (lamson goodnow) available... not for $300+either lol! I always meant to put a new, modern handle on it, but never got around to it. Plus the original is still very tight and in great shape, but it does have a small chip in the wood.

Back