Looking for a decent "Man Bag"

Macchina

Gold Member
A few years back my wife and I lived in Italy for a while for work and I found all the guys over their carried bags with them everywhere (for real it is partially because their pants are too tight to carry today’s large phones and keys).

I had 2 cell phones, 2 sets of keys, a passport, wallet, power adapter, ect to carry around there and really envied the man bags I was seeing.

I noticed my wife brought an old Jansport purse from highschool which was quite utilitarian (just a rectangular cordura bag) and I used it for the whole time I lived there and loved it!

The bag had no organizing pockets or anything, just a big pocket with a zipper. I’m now looking for a dedicated little man bag for travel. I have a few Maxpedition sling bags but need something more professional lacking any Molle or tactical features.

Any recommendations in either nice heavy duty nylon fabric or real leather (preferably natural leather over anything processed)? I'm hoping to spend less than $100.

That bag and a guy at the Maniago Knife Museum:
10678742_10154567409365183_1397110114798436308_n.jpg

Duluth Trading Post has a couple that fit your bill. The leather one is sweet but almost $200. The nylon one is less than $100.

I use a 5.11 sling bag for this (when I need a bag). But it has molle features which you don't want. Quite pleased with it.

Take a look at the Vanlison sling bags that the big river site sells. Prices vary with size, but they appear to be neat and functional. Fairly inexpensive. Have no idea how large a bag you want or how you want to carry it... messenger bag?

Last edited:
I think all of 5.11 and Maxpedition are out of this search. I have plenty of their products so I'm definitely looking for something different.

I've been keen for a Duluth bag for a few years now. I currently carry a Fjallraven bag and I really like it. Seems super durable, and they are one of the outdoor companies that seems to walk the walk when it comes to pollution from production. My "briefcase" is a TimBuk2 messanger bag, and they have a lot of good well built options. Also look at Tom Bihn. I only have a couple pieces of his, a double ended laundry bag and an "EDC Tray" that is more a draw-cord top bag. Both are really well built. They are not cheap, but USA made, if that matters. They have a bit of a travel vibe to them, but they are super civil and their stuff is thought out with travel in mind.

I keep a couple canvas tote bags handy for times that I want to pile a bunch of odds & ends in a bag to carry it such as chargers, a field guide book, maps, maybe a poncho that I don't think I'll need, binoculars, extra flashlight, maybe an extra set of batteries for a device I know I'll be using; stuff like that. I do this frequently as my last "out the door trip" to my truck when I'm packing for a trip of some kind. This allows me to be able to find the stuff and not have it mixed into a bunch of other crap that I might have assembled for the outing.

I also have had an itch to acquire a non-military looking carry bag and not something I would wear on my belt. I have been placing things like a cell phone and tablet inside a small to medium sized pouch without straps both so I know where they are and to protect them. The more I use a tablet computer, the more I want to have it with me on any kind of trip beyond a run to the store.

For me, a non-military looking 5.11 sling bag would be perfect, but as far as I know, everything they make is military looking.

Last edited:
Here's the one I use, it reminds me of map cases we used to carry in the Army. Duluth markets it as a woman's bag, but I think it looks ok for men also, it comes in olive drab as one of the color choices. It is extremely handy in hot weather if you are in athletic shorts with no pockets, and I used it in Europe for a couple of weeks to hold various items, passports, etc. It is very well constructed and has a lot of useful pockets, I highly recommend it.

It's a great size for a carry on bag for flying as well.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/oil-c...RA#start=9&cgid=womens-accessories-bags-totes

That is a very good suggestion S sodak . Fabric choice is a lifestyle thing. I'm happy with canvas or something like that that simply would not look military. How many pockets on the inside of it?

The mini version may actually work better for me. I may in fact buy this down the road a bit and my wife will probably "steal it" from me. Choice of size for me relates to my intended use. But to carry my tablet, charger, flashlight, small fixed blade, perhaps a small firearm, and a few odds & ends, it may be perfect regardless of the one reviewer saying it attracts pet hair or lint.

The wallet I use every day now was in the women's section.

Last edited:
There is a thin inner pocket on the inside (that touches you when you wear it), and then 2 major pockets, one that zips closed, and the main pocket covered by the flap. Within these 2 are several organizational pockets, a clip for your keys, places to put wallets and things like that. Within these 2 large pockets are also small zippered areas for valuables, if that makes sense.

Check the size carefully, my ipad goes into it, but my kindle (10.5 inch screen or something like that) doesn't.

I have heard others say that it is plenty sturdy enough to carry a Glock G19 with a couple mags and not sag. :D I will neither confirm nor deny that...

S sodak Good info. I will check the size carefully and that might merit a call to Duluth. You are referring to the regular one versus mini, right as far as the ipad and kindle goes? (I seldom use my old kindle any more.) I use an 8" tablet and have no desire for a larger one. I use other computers for more serious work efforts. I do carry my 15.6" laptop inside my 5.11 Messenger bag for out of town jobs. It works really well for that, but obviously it has a military look to it. I have on occasion used the messenger bag as sort of a brief case where I had to carry a bunch of stuff... like into court.

Last edited:
Good info. I will check the size carefully and that might merit a call to Duluth. You are referring to the regular one versus mini, right as far as the ipad and kindle goes? I use an 8" tablet and have no desire for a larger one. I use other computers for more serious work efforts. I do carry my 15.6" laptop inside my 5.11 Messenger bag for out of town jobs. It works really well for that, but obviously it has a military look to it. I have on occasion used the messenger bag as sort of a brief case where I had to carry a bunch of stuff... like into court.

Yes, I think so. I think the 8 inch will fit fine, my wife has "aquisitioned" mine lately, I'll try to find it and let you know. I need to upgrade to a gold membership and post some pics. Calling Duluth would probably be a good idea, we have one (a brick and mortar) here, and it really helps to go check.

The Gold membership is quite handy for posting pictures as you can do it directly. I resize mine down a lot, as I feel the large size simply is not necessary online.

91wnMhIxxaL._SR500,500_.jpg

I remember when they use to be called brief cases......BTW this thing is on Amazon for well under $100.

n2s

It totally blows your budget but I have loved my Filson Small Field Bag for many years, and when it wore out, Filson replaced it at no charge.

Great, durable product. I call it my Man Purse with pride.

I know you are looking for "man bags", but I stay away from them. When traveling overseas I often use a fanny pack or a small sling pack (sport, not tactical) and have multiple "messenger bags" and a couple old attache's I use for work.

I know you are looking for a non-tactical looking bag, but... So far my "all-around" work bag is an older, black version of the 5.11 RUSH middle size (they have a smaller version too). The middle size is about the size of a typical messenger bag and sized perfectly for files and a thin laptop. Since it's black, you don't notice the Molle, and the Velcro has stood up well for everyday use. The only downside for me is that I would prefer a zipper in the top flap so I don't have to unvelcro the whole thing every time I open the main compartment.

You might find decent messenger and small laptop bags at places like Staples, Office Max, TJMaxx, Ross, and even Goodwill.

Yes, I think so. I think the 8 inch will fit fine, my wife has "aquisitioned" mine lately, I'll try to find it and let you know. I need to upgrade to a gold membership and post some pics. Calling Duluth would probably be a good idea, we have one (a brick and mortar) here, and it really helps to go check.
I ordered the Mini. It is sized one-half inch taller than my tablet so I am assuming it will fit. Everything else, I can work around the size to make it work. If I get it and the tablet does not fit, I will return it and get the regular sized bag that I believe is 12" tall.

S Scott321 I tend to agree with you. I have the small and middle sized 5.11 sling bags. The middle sized one (18L I think) is the one I carried at Blade and worked really well. The small one has been my go to for a few years now. It is olive green or standard 5.11 color. I bought it to use for work when I need to carry a few tools into confined/restricted spaces that I don't want to take a chance of leaving something behind or fall out of my regular tool type bag that I use.

I am a big fan of the 5.11 bags. I have sling bags, a couple day packs (medium and large), and the messenger bag. They are tough bags.

Last edited:
I used to carry some sort of manpurse but I eventually got tired of the lack of comfort they have. For me they are for short periods of time, but for anything more than that I would use an backpack. But that's just strictly my opinion! :) (and I do understand that murse is better for strolling around, shopping, going to cafes etc).
My current day/user pack is Millican The Smith and it's great in the sense that it's rather compact (slim-ish) yet doesn't look like girls backpack on bigger guy (is wide and tall). It has all kinds of sub pockets inside for all the gizmos and quick pockets where you can put your dog leash and stuff. Inside I can put raincoat for rainy moments, jacket for cold, hat, sunglasses etc..
More carry capacity with more comfort.

I used to carry some sort of man purse but I eventually got tired of the lack of comfort they have. For me they are for short periods of time, but for anything more than that I would use an backpack. <snip>
My current day/user pack is Millican The Smith and it's great in the sense that it's rather compact (slim-ish) yet doesn't look like girls backpack on bigger guy (is wide and tall). It has all kinds of sub pockets inside for all the gizmos and quick pockets where you can put your dog leash and stuff. Inside I can put raincoat for rainy moments, jacket for cold, hat, sunglasses etc..
More carry capacity with more comfort.
I looked them up. To me they are kind of large. It really depends on your life style. If carrying a brief case (perhaps like the one in post #13 or a canvas type of similar design) and you do a lot of walking.... street to job and so forth rather than just parking in a lot at the workplace building, I can see the larger size. For me, the larger size is for more infrequent use or you use it when in fact you need more storage or carry capacity. Messenger bags work for this as well.

The smaller bag, and of course "how small?" is where I lean. I don't want something to stash groceries in. I want something to stash edc kinds of tools and accessories. I am not a big edc bag person, but I understand the practical aspects of having stuff with you that you commonly use (or in preparation for a limited emergency). For the most part, I keep most of those kinds of things in a work bag inside my pickup to retrieve when I need them.

I ordered the Duluth mini bag mentioned above and awaiting it's delivery. Assuming I can keep my tablet computer inside (as it fits), I really can't see regular carry of a man bag. But there are occasions where a bag is really useful. Women have demonstrated this for years but has become a permanent appendage for many women. The kinds of occasions I will use it are trips to someplace where I might need or want to use the tablet (primarily Kindle reading) such as getting a haircut, doctor office visit, hospital, any place where I suspect I may have to kill time waiting and so forth. On vacation kind of thing, the bag would be used for protected storage of the tablet, maybe travel stuff, or a quick grab for the kinds of things just mentioned. But I would not carry it on a hike, and the design of the "hiking bag" depends on what and how I want to carry or how much stuff... I'm hopeful that this Duluth bag is going to be useful in my world. It will be mostly urban use as I envision it at this point. I have lots of short term use bags for the woods or trail.

There is so much crap or stuff that many of us carry day to day, that some sort of man bag makes a lot of sense. But you have to use it.

Last edited:
Back