Looking for a decent "Man Bag"

I find these little bags really helpful when I'm on vacation. Shorts and t-shorts aren't conducive to carrying phone, keys, wallet, knife or leatherman, paperback novel, map, etc. I have a little canvas one with just a single pocket and a mesh pocket on the outside. It could be better but it does the trick.

If I was using it more I'd want something that looked a little nicer, I think I got this one from a Duck's Unlimited subscription or something like that.

The 5.11 2-Banger bag might be one to consider. https://www.511tactical.com/2-bange...ay&utm_source=criteo&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel

Not military. I like the 5.11 shoulder strap.

Added: Not impressed in the least by Duluth's shipping. I thought USPS was slow (but predictable)... this is worse. USPS is premium shipping compared to Newgistics. Will have to take Duluth free shipping into account in the future... it may well turn me away from buying from them.

Last edited:
A.G. Russell sells what they call the "Leather Crossbody Traveler" which looks nice; 9"x 1"x 10" dimensions and $78.

Any consideration for a backpack. I have been using a trail running vest on my vacations recently and it works really well.
It has pockets on the front straps that work well for cell phone and other smaller sized objects. Can carry a 1 1/2 liter hydration bladder or not and you have a bigger pocket on the back.
Low profile enough you can wear it all the time even while riding in a car or an a bus. If you search that big river in south america you should find a lot of options.
Down side is that it's not necessarily stylish or dressy and you have to take it off to access the compartment in the back.
81W-spAKb1L._SL1500_.jpg

Here's the one I've been using.
Cheers

That is certainly a very interesting design and a cross between a back pack and a vest. I like it. Still waiting for my Duluth bag to arrive. We are of course somewhat spoiled by the UPS and FedEx these days. But I can tell you that USPS Priority Mail is faster than Newgistics ground shipping.

Last edited:
Maxpedition is the only imported gear I've used that didn't fall apart. I've had a Larkspur messenger bag for a few years with a lot of miles on it and the thing looks like new after a bath in the sink. These are discontinued, but KnifeWorks has one left on clearance for a good price:

https://www.knifeworks.com/bags-gear/maxpedition-larkspur-messenger-bag-color-foliage-green.html

...the foliage is very subtle and doesn't look tacticool at all. I cut the velcro off of the flap and the long flashlight pockets off of the sides (using a stitch puller, took a while but came off clean) and the thing looks very low-key. I use it for sales stuff as well as for airline travel. The two pockets (which are covered by the flap) fit Maxpeditions fatty organizers perfectly, or 3 standard water bottles each for size reference.

If you want to go to a small backpack ATS makes a small, flat 'pack with load lifters called the ATS 2.6. They're not cheap, but it's lifetime quality gear made in the US. They make them in very subdued colors that look like an old bookbag from the early '90s. It's a great daypack with brushed (soft Velcro) interior so you can set it up however you like. The straps are wide but thin, not bulky at all and very good at displacing weight and the load lifters keep the 'pack tight to your back.

Last edited:
Received the mini canvas sling bag from Duluth today. Took pretty much a week in shipping..... not pleased with the shipping, but I think the bag will work very well. The top flap attaches via a magnet. Think I would rather have some sort of buckle. But the bag is sized where I would carry it and it doesn't particularly look like a women's bag. It fits my 8" tablet easily and that was my main concern in terms of sizing choices. It's big enough. Anything larger that's needed, I have the bases covered.

Thank you @sodak for the suggestion.

Last edited:
22-rimfire 22-rimfire , What kinds of occasions do you see this being useful to you? E.g., Daily? Work? Special occasions?

I have something similar, but not large enough to hold a tablet. Mine has a large, heavy duty snap (I don't think it is magnetized). I wonder if a local seamstress or auto upholsterer could customize your bag (if you really like it).

22-rimfire 22-rimfire , What kinds of occasions do you see this being useful to you? E.g., Daily? Work? Special occasions?

I have something similar, but not large enough to hold a tablet. Mine has a large, heavy duty snap (I don't think it is magnetized). I wonder if a local seamstress or auto upholsterer could customize your bag (if you really like it).
It is a fairly small bag. I envision carrying it any time that I need to carry some "junk" or in particular I want to carry the 8" tablet with me. I was using a foam lined wally world zip pouch for the tablet and carried it under my arm. I always kept thinking I would either drop it if my attention was diverted or forget it somewhere long enough for somebody to grab it. I mentioned earlier the typical occasions I take along my tablet from home are doctor's office visits, hospital visits, hair cuts.... any place that I might need to kill some time waiting as I generally read Kindle books on this tablet. I also use it as a backup for gps when driving distances, especially in cities I am unfamiliar with such as Atlanta.... sometimes the turn right and left doesn't seem to make sense and I want a more aerial view of streets close to where I am at. I also use the tablet for hotel reservations traveling; frequently just do things on the fly in that department if I am alone (vs with my wife). I also check and respond to emails on my tablet and it is much easier to delete the garbage emails with it versus my phone.

If I were on vacation, I would probably stash a flashlight, the tablet, cell phone, possibly a larger multi-tool, and probably pad of paper with pen/pencil to have with me.

I think I'm okay with the way it is designed. I want to use it a bit.

Rollercoaster Rollercoaster I carry one there too. Can't store anything in it. :D People don't like it much when you reach for it either.

Last edited:
If I had a regular job, I would have the tablet for "forum visits" that didn't go through the company internet service/wifi. :D I really don't like the idea that the company can look over my internet activity. I don't do anything particularly "bad" but that is subjective.

There are lots of choices with these kinds of bags. Leather appeals to me, but I didn't really want to pay for it. This one is sort of a cotton canvas that is oiled. I was concerned that the strap would be some tiny thin thing... not the case. The Duluth bag is expensive enough. I didn't even wait for a discount to pop up when I ordered it. They frequently send emails with 15% off and so forth.

This bag is not padded if you are considering something like this.

I will probably keep my "Square" stuff for customers to use credit cards in this bag. I could slip my camera inside but unless I plan to take pictures, I'll just use the cell phone for that.

Last edited:
This thread just reminded me of a company that sells interesting bags (messenger bags, laptop, tablet bags with compartments--and cases and covers for all kinds of items)

https://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/products/bags

The case I am familiar with was in the $100 range and quite nifty and durable. Of course, it is not longer made. (Story of my life.)

Some thoughts......If I can get into the habit of using this Duluth sling bag, I can rid my pockets of a lot of stuff. May add a small knife to this bag to live there. Have plenty so, having a knife spend it's life in a bag like this is no big deal. I don't see it as some sort of get home bag, and more of a place to keep more organized. Too many gadgets these days that are needed one way or the other.

One of the reasons I was looking for a bag was that I have noticed that I need to carry some sort of bag more often than I imagined. The tablet is what really triggers the use or the need and I am steadily using it more and more. I like a tablet that I can use anywhere to check email and so forth. Hence you either have one that has a dedicated line or tether it via blue tooth to your cell phone.

(edit: Chopped out some irrelevant stuff.)

Last edited:
Something in waxed canvas that will develop a patina, or leather for a higher $ patina.

When I need a bag, I just use a small backpack. Which is quite often, considering I’m on the motorcycle a lot this time of year. Generally, I use a larger hydration backpack with the bladder removed. I can carry anything I need, and am also usually carrying stuff for the wife and daughter as well.

You can find lots of smaller backpacks in leather, tweed, and just about any other material you want. Best part about a small backpack is, you can wear it on your back, or just sling it over one shoulder, and not have to worry about the “murse” stigma.

I think the "murse" stigma isn't as great as it used to be. We're becoming a unisex society. The western world is becoming unisex.

I think man-bags are common in Europe because of the regular use of public transportation, bike use, and more walking in urban areas. Public transportation forces you to carry more stuff that you feel you might need on a day to day basis. Business people frequently carried brief cases of one kind or other.

I think with J jaseman use of a bag, the back pack is the better solution. Using a backpack as a sling pack is uncomfortable to me. Oh, but it is manly.... It all depends on just what you need to carry in one of these bags in terms of choosing an appropriate size and carry method. I don't need to pack rain gear, extra clothing, stuff for kids or others, or even a lunch; it is just for my gadget needs in an urban environment and it is day to day stuff.

The urban bag application was lacking for me. Appearances matter to me, but appearances do not totally control my choices. I don't own a motorcycle or ride one. I don't want to wear a backpack all the time. I'm not a school kid. So, we all have different needs..... It all depends on what we feel we need to carry and then you choose the carry method. Some like fanny packs, belt packs and so forth. Some like sling bags or shoulder bags. Some like back packs. Ultimately, you need to keep an open mind on different approaches addressing how to carry stuff day to day that you feel you need or for convenience whether you're a male or female.

Once a person (male) accepts the regular use of a bag as a need, then I could see having "small, medium and large" options available for immediate use based on the present need. Right now, I am still in the trying out stage but leaning heavily toward a fairly regular carry of a shoulder/sling bag. We'll see if I can evolve to accepting the use as routine?

I view the little Duluth bag as sort of a mini-brief case with a shoulder strap. The old US Army map case was a good analogy at the beginning of this thread relative to the Duluth bag I chose.

As a kid, I used one of those map cases as a book bag going to school. They were cheap at the time and I couldn't afford much. Plus I thought using army stuff was cool. We didn't lug around back packs like kids do today.

Last edited:
In defense of the “murse,” my teacher who just passed away at age 94 used one 30 years ago. It was a small bag he hand carried—much more like a purse.

(He fought in the Battle of the Bulge—so anyone who questioned his grit was sorely misled by a murse, and I don’t think he cared. He was preeminently pragmatic.)

I think the "murse" stigma isn't as great as it used to be. We're becoming a unisex society. The western world is becoming unisex.

I think man-bags are common in Europe because of the regular use of public transportation, bike use, and more walking in urban areas. Public transportation forces you to carry more stuff that you feel you might need on a day to day basis. Business people frequently carried brief cases of one kind or other.

I don't care what they do in Europe.

I just have to ask one question; can you see Sam Elliott carrying a man bag?????

Yeah. 'nuff said.

Back