Looking for a decent "Man Bag"

I don't care what they do in Europe.

I just have to ask one question; can you see Sam Elliott carrying a man bag?????

Yeah. 'nuff said.
Sam Elliott is certainly a man's man like John Wayne was. He's getting old now like a lot of us. I really don't care what they do in Europe for the most part either other than to observe it and see any relevance in my life. Glad you joined the discussion jackknfe.

I don't care what they do in Europe.

I just have to ask one question; can you see Sam Elliott carrying a man bag?????

Yeah. 'nuff said.

It has become more acceptable ....especially when you need a convenient way to conceal carry your Desert Eagle while wearing shorts and a T-shirt :)

n2s

Ultimately, you need to keep an open mind on different approaches addressing how to carry stuff day to day that you feel you need or for convenience whether you're a male or female.

Once a person (male) accepts the regular use of a bag as a need, then I could see having "small, medium and large" options available for immediate use based on the present need. Right now, I am still in the trying out stage but leaning heavily toward a fairly regular carry of a shoulder/sling bag. We'll see if I can evolve to accepting the use as routine?

Agreed. For me, it's a matter of assuring that I travel and arrive with EVERYTHING I need. One missing item, and I may as well go home. For that, I did as you suggest: one larger bag. Inside that bag, I carry multiple smaller units: one smallish zipper bag for knives and maintenance tools; another zipper bag with my tools and supplies; another folder for my papers; etc. Some items I keep at all time: toothpaste, toothbrush; floss; medications, etc. Depending on where I am going, I can add and subtract without losing things, and I always feel prepared.

In addition, I keep a checklist on my fridge which I check each and every time I leave the house to double check I have everything I need.

Rest assured, you would not be the only guy I know who routinely carries a shoulder bag for just the type items you suggested. (Everyone is EDC'ing all this stuff. Where? In their pants/jacket pocket? Underwear?):)

Last edited:
Thank you S sodak for the suggestion.

I'm glad you like it!

Actually, I can. A lot of bushcrafters make and carry similar bags and they hearken back to the "mountain man/trapper" days. I think they referred to them as possibles bags. We carried similar bags in the Army as map cases. It was pretty common. I don't see either backpacks or the duluth bag as feminine. They are super handy as carry on, and like others have said, it also makes it super easy to conceal carry a firearm in plain sight.

Consider a lightweight vest. Keeps your items closer and more securely, and less likely to lead to sitting down to urinate.
I used a vest for photo equipment during my 35mm days. I have used them for work where I need to carry small electronic meters and so forth But lately, I feel kind of geeky wearing one unless I'm in the woods. I have at least one, probably two of them.

They would work if you are comfortable wearing one for edc stuff. They work well actually. There is a reason why fisherman wear them with all of their lures and other small equipment that they use. They work.

How hot do they get? Do you have a specific brand that you like?

They would work if you are comfortable wearing one for edc stuff. They work well actually. There is a reason why fisherman wear them with all of their lures and other small equipment that they use. They work.

Here's a summerweight vest with 16 pockets that doesn't look like a shoot-me-first concealment garment:

https://www.scottevest.com/shop/mens-vests/mens-lightweight-vest/featherweight-vest-men.shtml

Don't cash in your man card by getting a purse. Rock a vest and get a manly chapeau to go with it.

Another option is a small fanny pack. By wearing it your belongings are more secure than in a man purse dangling on your shoulder or around your vulnerable neck.

You can find travel shirts with more than a normal number of pockets. If you are wearing pocketless t-shirts it's time to buys shirts with at least one pocket.

Last edited:
Another option is a small fanny pack. By wearing it your belongings are more secure than in a man purse dangling on your shoulder or around your vulnerable neck.

You can find travel shirts with more than a normal number of pockets. If you are wearing pocketles s t-shirts it's time to buys shirts with at least one pocket.

This!!!!!

For summer, the lightweight Magellan fishing shirts give a couple pf large pockets that seal with Velcro and/or zippers. Winter use Carhart work shirts that have two button flat pockets. Fall and winter a vest fits in with things and gives yet more pockets.

If you can't fit your stuff in your pockets, then you're carrying too much crap.

You can find travel shirts with more than a normal number of pockets. If you are wearing pocketles s t-shirts it's time to buys shirts with at least one pocket.
Well, I dislike stuff on my belt but make exceptions for firearms and fixed bladed knives. The small fanny pack will not fit my tablet computer. It was not considered in this bag quest from day one.

I love Carhartt pocket tea shirts. They are essentially my daily uniform unless I have to dress up. I agree about having pockets on shirts in general, but can you really put heavy stuff in those pockets? Even a cell phone is a bit on the heavy side for a shirt pocket, but I do it all the time.

I have a couple of those shirts the Jackknife mentioned. They were part of a phase I went through.

Last edited:
Sam Elliot, maybe. But I'm not taking masculinity tips from John Wayne. I'll take my measure from men worth respecting. I'll carry what I need to carry, how I want to carry it.

Well, I dislike stuff on my belt but make exceptions for firearms and fixed bladed knives. The small fanny pack will not fit my tablet computer. It was not considered in this bag quest from day one.

I love Carhartt pocket tea shirts. They are essentially my daily uniform unless I have to dress up. I agree about having pockets on shirts in general, but can you really put heavy stuff in those pockets? Even a cell phone is a bit on the heavy side for a shirt pocket, but I do it all the time.

I have a couple of those shirts the Jackknife mentioned. They were part of a phase I went through.

I recently got a Duluth Trading short-sleeve Henley with a pocket that carries a decent load.

Have you considered downsizing your tablet for recreational EDC? I use a 10.1-in Kindle Fire. Taking it with me on errands is like toting a book. I recently got a 7-in Fire for excursions; it's not as nice to use as its 10.1-in big brother, but it fits in my shirt pocket.

If you are dead set on an EDC bag, check out the offerings at Red Oxx:

https://www.redoxx.com

They have a EDC Bag category with a range of sizes. For example:

As I recall, the Red Oxx guys are former military parachute riggers. Their products are bombproof, but not tactical looking, and are available in a variety of colors. I got three pieces from them years ago for primarily business travel. One was a computer bag that I used for my laptop and briefcase; for overnight business trips it also held a change of clothing. Very good bag, but I'd want something much smaller for my EDC.

I recently got a Duluth Trading short-sleeve Henley with a pocket that carries a decent load.

Have you considered downsizing your tablet for recreational EDC? I use a 10.1-in Kindle Fire. Taking it with me on errands is like toting a book. I recently got a 7-in Fire for excursions; it's not as nice to use as its 10.1-in big brother, but it fits in my shirt pocket.

If you are dead set on an EDC bag, check out the offerings at Red Oxx:
I use an 8" tablet. For most that is already downsized. I also have a paperwhite Kindle (B&W). The resolution is poor as compared to the tablet. I read a lot and pretty much have my tablet with me if I suspect I may have to kill some time. I am not a patient person as far as waiting goes. I don't know what you mean by recreational EDC? The tablet is not something that I always have with me (as compared to my smartphone which tends to be "always"). But the trend is that I am carrying and using it more and more. Hence, I went with a small Duluth bag that I provided pictures of earlier. So, at this point it is a done deal until I decide that this bag doesn't work for me.

I have other bags and they are "manly" (lots of 5.11 stuff). I just try to go with what works for me or I think will work for me. I don't edc a lot of stuff other than phone, keys, knife, and so forth. Flashlight stays in my truck except if I go on a hike, then one comes with me. I only carry chargers and similar things on extended trips (over night). I can always charge things inside my vehicle if I need to.

I am not particularly worried about someone yanking my bag that is around my neck. There is nothing in there or will be in there worth dying for.

It is always good to make suggestions as I am not the only person who might be interested in some sort of urban carry bag or system/approach.

....Any recommendations in either nice heavy duty nylon fabric or real leather (preferably natural leather over anything processed)? I'm hoping to spend less than $100.
What is your current thinking on the urban carry bag?

Some thoughts......If I can get into the habit of using this Duluth sling bag, I can rid my pockets of a lot of stuff. May add a small knife to this bag to live there. Have plenty so, having a knife spend it's life in a bag like this is no big deal. I don't see it as some sort of get home bag, and more of a place to keep more organized. Too many gadgets these days that are needed one way or the other.

One of the reasons I was looking for a bag was that I have noticed that I need to carry some sort of bag more often than I imagined. The tablet is what really triggers the use or the need and I am steadily using it more and more. I like a tablet that I can use anywhere to check email and so forth. Hence you either have one that has a dedicated line or tether it via blue tooth to your cell phone.

The guys over at NutSac bags have figured out this need and I believe they are filling it nicely.

There are several styles and sizes to choose from. Stylish stuff if you ask me.

How hot do they get? Do you have a specific brand that you like?
I haven't used one in a number of years. My favorite was a simple cotton vest from Banana Republic. It was a little hot and I only wore it if I needed to carry stuff. Vests were made in different styles with netting and so forth for ventilation, but I always came back to the Banana Republic vest which had no ventilation. Have no idea if they still sell such a thing, but I would guess they probably do as it is the kind of stuff that made Banana Republic "Banana Republic". You see folks wearing vests at knife and gun shows. Ethan Becker wears one frequently at shows.

Velitrius Velitrius NutSac certainly has some nice styles that appeal to me. Cost is a bit more, but if you actually use the bag, the cost (within reason) is of no consequence.

I'm an EDC/onebag nut and try to cover all my day trips out of a single 12L messenger bag (also rigs as backpack) whether it's a day in the big city or XC skiing in the backcountry. I keep ~half of my UL backpacking gear so its also my little home away from home with a minimalist: shelter, nap bed, lounge chair, kitchen/stove, bar, shower, wardrobe, office, etc. As a prepper/survivalist and outdoor enthusiast, it's also intended to handle emergencies from a bug-out/get-home to an outdoor survival overnighter.

Back