Recommendation? Looking for a decent steak knife set

Hey all. This is my first post in this section of BF. I've been looking for a set of steak knives and I was hoping for some advice/suggestions. Any input is appreciated.

Plain, non-serrated edges are a MUST. The Kamikoto set I have linked below is a good example of what I am looking for from both an aesthetic and functional point of view. However, I am skeptical about buying from that brand. There is too much misrepresentation, aggressive advertising, and people claiming they've been scammed. Anyone have an opinion on them?

https://kamikoto.com/collections/store/products/steak-knife-set

As for the most important question, if Kamikoto is indeed an overpriced scam, does anyone know of any sets that look like this and have non-serrated edges, from a more reputable manufacturer?

Thanks!

I know it's not the same style but I really like the Wusthofs I picked up. My wife was really impressed using them. I really didn't shop around much for steak knives. I got a set to match the knife block set I purchased, Ikon Classic. I did look into what knife block set to buy and with everything I read I decided on those. With that said after owning them I would buy them again, we both like how substantial they feel in the hand.

Good luck with the decision and please post what you purchase.

I second the wusthof ikon classic, have a set of those and they are great!

My problem with the Wüsthof Classic line is the bolster, that goes down all the way to the edge - that's a problem when sharpening. For that matter I would prefer their Ikon lines, where the bolster is shorter; however, they are more expensive. With that being so, if my budget was a little shorter, I would go with the Zwilling Pro line instead. In theory they are about one point softer than the Wüsthof Classic and Ikon (HRC 57 instead of 58) but they have a shorter bolster. And both the Zwilling Pro and Wüsthof Classic sport the same traditional French style handle.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I've been looking into your suggestions. The Wüsthof Ikon looks really good and it'll definitely be on the short list once I feel like I've looked around enough. L LUW , I agree with you completely about the Wüsthof Classic. Like you, I also much prefer knives with an edge that is "accessible" all the way through to make sharpening more convenient/effective.

Last edited:
The bolster is one of the main reason I went with the ikon series. I have a wicked edge and plan to sharpe my self. I also saw the red logo on the handles of the regular classics come off, seems it's a sticker. One advantage of the regular classic is that they have more knives in the series, could be helpful if matching matters.

I have a set of Bradford steak knives and they are excellent! I would highly recommend them.
Fn2eCLu.jpg

Excellent thread! Thank you very much everyone!

That said, $300 to $350 for a very good set of 4 steak knives...is that about right? Thanks.

I appreciate the replies from everyone! I have narrowed it down to the Wüsthof Ikon and the Shun Classic Steak for now.

Hello, J jencarlos . I am a fairly new member here. From the Kamikoto steak knife set you linked in the OP, I am going to guess that you are looking for a set of Japanese-style steak knives. Must they have wa-handles, though? I don't know what your budget is, but if you don't mind western-style handles, here's something that you might consider:

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/toji...MI1Kj2_q_H7AIVBaSzCh2lZghREAQYASABEgIwFfD_BwE

Seems to be of decent quality and appears to have many favorable reviews and well-liked by those who seek high performance-to-cost ratio. I haven't had any firsthand experience with Tojiro DP line of cutlery, but I did order this a couple of days ago:

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/nakiri-knife-p113707

Something tells me that I think I will be pleased with its performance.

I am a grandfather so I need lots of steak knives for family get togethers. I have 12 old Chicago Cutlery knives that I keep sharp with a Work Sharp. I have the old wood handles oiled with mineral oil. They kind of look like this without a stamp on the blade.
https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutl...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0000BYEJ4

This picture looks better with the nicer rounded walnut handles and not the big stamps on the blades.

Last edited:
K -Kiku- , thanks for the suggestion! Tojiro makes a good product from what I've heard. As for handles, wa-handles are appealing to me because of the lack of visible attachment points (no studs). However, it certainly isn't a dealbreaker if a knife doesn't have them. This is why I am considering the Wüsthof Ikon. The most important thing is quality construction, longevity, and then design (the edge being "accessible" all the way through is the most important design feature). "Japanese-style" as you put it has unfortunately become a loosely-defined term. Some use it to refer to the handle style and some use it to refer to the non-serrated blade (most "Western" steak knives are serrated). Some even use it to refer to both traits, or something else entirely. Phil Indablanc Phil Indablanc , those Bradford knives are amazing but probably out of my price range I think. M390 is probably overkill in a steak knife, but those things are surely tanks.

Back