Looking for a knife

Feel free to share the negative things about brk

I have never owned one, so I can't relay a personal experience.

I do like to read here though.

They have, at least one occasion/batch, put a knife or knives in a steel different than labeled. If memory serves, BR did not handle the situation with class.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bark-river-again.1463481/

There have been other things over the years, some of the posts in the thread may allude to them.

Well this is disturbing. Thought they were serious and made very good knives. I might have to reconsider what knife i want to buy.

Well this is disturbing. Thought they were serious and made very good knives. I might have to reconsider what knife i want to buy.

I have around 30 Bark River Knives in my collection, 3 of them in 3V. All of them are good knives.
A few of my BR's had too thin factoryedges and chipped. After putting a new edge on them they too have been stellar performers.
I can recommend buying from DLT Trading as they have the knives advertized and in stock and they have always given me first class service.

Regards
Mikael

You'll no doubt hear from people who are perfectly happy with their BRK and who dont give a hoot about a persons moral compass. The latter being known as the Burger effect.

I have had a lot of personal communication with the owner of Bark River Knives, Mike Stewart over the years and I know him as both kind and helpful.

Regards
Mikael

:)

RGI8yvO.jpg

(A not so clever play on words).

:DIf you are interested in the anthropomorfic entity and his thieving ways etc , you can use the search function here. Some of the threads on the forum are real eye openers.
(we are talking the dregs of humanity here stealing from former friends and people who helped him etc etc)

But this thread and GKD is about the knives. There is a fair chance, that you didnt even know about the guy prior to this thread and that you might be perfectly happy with a knife from the company. Several here are happy with the knives and some dont care about the rep. Research the matter or not. Buy what ever you like - stock or custom (Ill still recommend the latter in this case), as its your dough.

Best of luck which ever knife you end up getting. Hope it serves you well in any event. Look forward to pics.

Im out of this one:)

:)

RGI8yvO.jpg

(A not so clever play on words).

Not playing with words, but I can agree about not being clever, not even trying, just standing for my opinion based on personal experience.
However, I do enjoy my collection of Bark River Knives regardless of the negative agenda You and some other BF members have against BRK and Mike Stewart.
BTW, do You have had any personal contact with Mike Stewart and heard his versions of the stories?
I have, but not in recent years and it's not that important, as I'm not into expanding my collection of knives.

My favorite brand is Fällkniven and like Bark River and Hess knives, they are convex ground wich I prefer.
I have asked before what other production knives offer convexed blades out of the box?
I have yet to get an answer and that puts these brands in a special segment IMO.

We have differrent opinions on BRK for sure, I respect Yours and I wish You will respect mine.

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
Not playing with words, but I can agree about not being clever, not even trying, just standing for my opinion based on personal experience.
However, I do enjoy my collection of Bark River Knives regardless of the negative agenda You and some other BF members have against BRK and Mike Stewart.
BTW, do You have had any personal contact with Mike Stewart and heard his versions of the stories?
I have, but not in recent years and it's not that important, as I'm not into expanding my collection of knives.

My favorite brand is Fällkniven and like Bark River and Hess knives, they are convex ground wich I prefer.
I have asked before what other production knives offer convexed blades out of the box?
I have yet not got an answer and that puts these brands in a special segment IMO.

We have differrent opinions on BRK for sure, I respect Yours and I wish You will respect mine.

Regards
Mikael
Just to clarify; I was referring to my post with the 'viola' not being a very clever play on words (i.e. voila). I didnt refer to you as not being clever but referred to my own post.
Yes, of course; Ill most certainly extend the same respect shown to me.
And no, I dont have 'a negative agenda,' Ive just made up my mind, why I dont buy knives from that company.
I dont know you from Adam, we havent had any words as best I can recall and I certainly meant no disrespect. In any event it would be boring, if we all liked the same knives. Besides, we both like Fällkniven and can agree one those if not others:) Keep posting those great knives of yours, I enjoy the pics.

Again, best of luck to the OP in his/her choice of knife/knives (two is one and one is none :D)

Just to clarify; I was referring to my post with the 'viola' not being a very clever play on words (i.e. voila). I didnt refer to you as not being clever but referred to my own post.
Yes, of course; Ill most certainly extend the same respect shown to me.
And no, I dont have 'a negative agenda,' Ive just made up my mind, why I dont buy knives from that company.
I dont know you from Adam, we havent had any words as best I can recall and I certainly meant no disrespect. In any event it would be boring, if we all liked the same knives. Besides, we both like Fällkniven and can agree one those if not others:) Keep posting those great knives of yours, I enjoy the pics.

Again, best of luck to the OP in his/her choice of knife/knives (two is one and one is none :D)

Thanks for the clarification!
I'm not sure what Adam means though.
As the OP asks for Desert Ironwood and You like my pic's, here's the Fällkniven F1 bladeblank I did for my son:

F1-DIB-Canoe-006.jpg

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
Its just an expression meaning, that as I dont know you and as we have never exchanged barbed words, Ive no reason to disrespect you:)

Back to regular scheduled (knife) programming...

Its just an expression meaning, that as I dont know you and as we have never exchanged barbed words, Ive no reason to disrespect you:)

Back to regular scheduled (knife) programming...

:DAgreed, and I do usually read and enjoy Your opinions!:thumbsup:

Regards
Mikael

I appreciate your feedback. I appreciate all the feedback. Im looking for an awesome knife. Doesnt have to be brk. I do have a couple of becker knives wich i like alot. But this round i want to put a little more into it to rly get that perfect knife for my use.

Have you looked at the Enzo Trapper? Good outdoor knives, a choice of steels, nice slicers if you get the full flat grind, not expensive for what you get.

I have the 115 in 12c27, I am very happy with it.

To Draugen.
A Custom maker to lookout for is Mike Malosh, making knives in the best American tradition.
Right now DLT & KSF have a few of his knives in stock.

MALOSH-0054__34653.1504045191.jpg

Regards
Mikael

LT Wright blades on DLT trading.

Like you, I like how convexed blades cut, especially for camping and woodcraft. I also bought Fallkniven and Bark River because convexed blades are hard to find.

But if I had my time back, I’d still own the fallknivens, but replace the bark rivers with LT Wright convexed fixed blades from DLT.

I think im gonna go for another knife instead of brk. Im very glad you guys pitched in on my thread. I really appreciate all the inputs.

Knife wise im looking for something similar to the liv i posted. Prefer convex or flat grind. Knife length 5-6.5 inches. For Steel is like 3v or Elmax. Dont want a very thick knife. Sheath should have a loop for firesteel. Would be awesome with a dangler who has the possibility to switch to scout carry.

I paddle kayak and packraft alot. I have several becker knives wich i love. But this time im looking for a knife that for more for my use.

Suggestions are most welcome.

i5AF6Z

Back