Looking for a longer thin knife.

Thats right, Im looking for a knife with a 6" -7.5 inch blade, a good slicer/skinner that can also handle making fuzz sticks.

I was looking at the ESEE-6 and the Becker BK-7 but I cant find a picture of the blade thickness and from what I remember these are more choppers then anything.

Any suggestions? It can be a production or custom knife as long as its somewhat resilient.

Thanks in advance for the help guys, I know I can count on ya!

If your wondering why I want a longer blade besides the skinning, I just prefer a longer blade. I just think this will be a better choice (for my anyway) "trio"

I went to a local thrift store and found an old American made stainless steel kitchen knife for my thin slicer knife. I spent .50 cents on it and made a cheesy sheath for it. Back in the day all bushcraft/hunting knives were just kitchen knives.

But if you're looking for a heavy duty BC knife I'd go with the BK5 or 7. They are about .2" thick and 1095 carbon steel.

A decent kitchen knife or a good filet knife will do the job for you. I have a 9" blade Marttiini filet knife I used for years for carving roasts and turkeys (it's a stiff blade, not flexible). Long narrow trailing point. I got my wife the 6" version. Rapala is their alternate series.

Take a look through some of the Swedish knives that Ragnar carries. He used to have some longer blades.

You might also check out Old Hickory kitchen knives, pretty cheap, but they work well for me. Ragnar used to carry them as well, but haven't looked for quite a while.

You might also check out Old Hickory kitchen knives, pretty cheap, but they work well for me. Ragnar used to carry them as well, but haven't looked for quite a while.

I second the old hickory knives. Got one of there 10" Butchers knives on order and wish I had ordered a 7" to go with it. The 7" Is probably perfect for you. Make a little sheath for it and you'll be good to go.

The Mora 223 would fit the bill. 8 3/4" long, and .072" thick

223.jpg

The ESEE-6 is only 3/16 and is not a chopper in any way shape or form and sounds like it would be a perfect blade for your needs, another option would be a custom JK has a couple in your size range but you would have to wait a couple months

How about a small machete ore golok, that’s what I use for some of the tasks you posted, when out in the field.

Old Hickory or Green River make good camp blades out of 1095 steel. They are tempered around a rockwell hardness of 55-56 so they have good flex to the blades. I think the blades are thinner than 3/32". You can get a Mora with a longer stainless Sandvic blade with a @ .10" thick blade. They are tempered to @ 57 and most come with an inexpensive sheath. If you check around, you might find a knifemaker that will make a camp knife with differential tempering on the blade @ whatever thickness (within reason) and grind you want. I've always been partial to a boning knife as an all around use knife with a longer blade.

I almost forgot I had ordered a Fiddleback 12" Machete, and Im thinking that might be what I'm looking for almost exactly. Now Im just hunting around for maybe a 4-5 inch thin sabre ground blade. Lots to choose from but thanks for all the input guys. They beckers and esee knives look great for the money, might have to grab one to check em out! :thumbup:

My Koyote traditional Leuko is longer than what you want, but I'm sure he could make what you are looking for. Mine is 3/32" thick and has held up very well so far.

The ESEE-6 is 3/16" thick and is definitely not much of a chopper. Not heavy enough IMO. It's pretty light for a 6" blade. Great knife.

I wouldn't consider the BK 5/7 or the ESEE 6 to be thin knives by any means, though the BK5 is a heck of a slicer. I'd look into some Leuku type knives from Stromeng of Norway or Jarvenpaa of Finland. Not sure where you are in Europe, but they may be easier to find over there. Ragweed has a few other brands that might have something that fits your needs.

The Mora 223 would fit the bill. 8 3/4" long, and .072" thick

223.jpg

I think this is a good rec. For "thin," I would say that you want to keep it at about .1'' or thinner. For me, I wanted something similar, but not as long, so I got a mora 748. It is something like 5.5 '' long. It is very sturdy yet not too thick and I like it a lot. I got the stainless because I wanted something for cutting up meat and what not. They also make a carbon steel version.

Mora #3 - 6" long, 2.5mm thick (.099"), full length stick tang and barrell shaped wood handle
classic-mora.jpg

Back