Looking for a replacement or newer version of a Fallkniven G1 neck knife.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for this model knife? They've been discontinued and are pretty hard to find. I'd like to get another neck knife for when I'm out running. I actually like to carry it on the belt as well in a custom kydex and this is such a cool knife I'd like to get another, but can't find one anywhere these days. Why did they discontinue it? Seems like all the good stuff never lasts. Has anyone heard if they are going to make another run or introduce a replacement model?

Thanks, but that seems more like a hunting knife and not slim and sleek as the double edge G1.

Still looking. I would be interested in any similar models with the same profile. Why did they discontinue this one? Makes no sense to me.

Why did they discontinue it? Seems like all the good stuff never lasts. Has anyone heard if they are going to make another run or introduce a replacement model?

All Fallkniven fixed blades are made by Hattori in Seki Japan. The G1 Garm was discontinued because the knife laws in Japan changed and all double edged knives (as well as tantos) became illegal. As a result special permits were required to produce them for "export only". The additional cost and hassle made it unattractive to continue production. Same thing happened to the VG1 Sanmai Taipan that was being made for Cold Steel. The Garm will not be made again unless Fallkniven decide to go to another country for production, or the laws change in Japan, both unlikely for the foreseeable future.

The WM1 is very thin, in the handle anyway. I know you said it looks like a hunting knife, but it is very quick in the hand and the blade is not too thick.

All Fallkniven fixed blades are made by Hattori in Seki Japan. The G1 Garm was discontinued because the knife laws in Japan changed and all double edged knives (as well as tantos) became illegal. As a result special permits were required to produce them for "export only". The additional cost and hassle made it unattractive to continue production. Same thing happened to the VG1 Sanmai Taipan that was being made for Cold Steel. The Garm will not be made again unless Fallkniven decide to go to another country for production, or the laws change in Japan, both unlikely for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for the reply. I had heard about the Japanese knife laws, but I had no idea it affected Fallkniven. I didn't know they were made in Japan. I mean VG-10 should have been an obvious tip off, but I thought all the newer blades, like the different A1's were made in Europe. I'm surprised that they were able to bring the San Mai III process to Taiwan. That's promising. My San Mai III Tai Pan is really nice and has an excellent factory edge.

Cold Steel Counter-Tac II? Blade is a little shorter, but handling should be similar.

Interesting to try and find a similar knife: it's really difficult! Either the blade is dramatically longer, or dramatically shorter.

The prices follow a similar pattern: either it's a $40 Tac-Force, or a $500 Harsey. I guess because the legal landscape for dagger-grind knives is such a patchwork, manufacturers don't think there's a reliable mid-range market....?

When I was jogging regularly (before the new hip:() I used to clip a serrated Delica into my shorts waistband.

Thank you for the reply. I had heard about the Japanese knife laws, but I had no idea it affected Fallkniven. I didn't know they were made in Japan. I mean VG-10 should have been an obvious tip off, but I thought all the newer blades, like the different A1's were made in Europe. I'm surprised that they were able to bring the San Mai III process to Taiwan. That's promising. My San Mai III Tai Pan is really nice and has an excellent factory edge.

You may find this interesting about Fallknivens.

http://hattoricollector.com/2015/09/29/fallkniven-of-boden-sweden/

Back