Looking for a sword!

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Coidrin, Mar 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Coidrin

Coidrin

Mar 4, 2020
    Hello everybody, I'm currently looking for a double bladed short sword to use in tandem with a shield, I lack a bit of experience and was wondering what you guys could recommend! Any era or style will be just awesome just looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Black Oak Bladeworks likes this.
  2. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Viking sword. The thinnest, lightest one you can find.

WValtakis and Coidrin like this.
  3. Coidrin

Coidrin

Mar 4, 2020
    Checking some out right away! Thanks a ton for the recommendation I'm sure if I get one it will be something special!

4. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Don't cut anything off that won't grow back!

Coidrin likes this.
  5. Coidrin

Coidrin

Mar 4, 2020
    X) You got it!

6. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
  7. Coidrin

Coidrin

Mar 4, 2020
    Oh sorry! I skimmed over the discussions and couldn't see anything relating to sword and shield!

8. Black Oak Bladeworks

Black Oak Bladeworks Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Welcome! Do you have a budget? Cold steel has quite few besides that I am not to sure. Good luck!

9. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    What sort of shield? Bronze Age hoplon? Roman scutum? Norman kite? Medieval heater! English buckler? Scottish targe?

shaw11b likes this.
  10. Coidrin

Coidrin

Mar 4, 2020
    Originally I was thinking of a Hoplon! Really always enjoyed them though honestly I found This Paraclete ASPIS 20x30 Ballistic Shield with Strobe compatible lights that I was thinking about going for just to test out since it's IIIA verified I think it would be really cool to implement strobe lighting in my fighting style since it's a much more modern age now. As for as budget goes I'm still working that out though I've got a few things set up so that money shouldn't be much of an option given traditional weapon prices.

11. madcap_magician

madcap_magician

Feb 27, 2005
    This just took an amazing turn! I recommend a smatchet!

Bigfattyt, WValtakis and Triton like this.
  12. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    I second the smatchet recommendation, but failing that if the hoplon is your thing than a xiphos is really the only option. Sadly I do not know of anyone making a quality xiphos reproduction. For your modern tactical take I would point out u.s. Gladius. It would seem to be in the same genre.

But really smatchet is your best choice...

Bigfattyt likes this.
  13. Coidrin

Coidrin

Mar 4, 2020
    I had never heard of a Smatchet before! I'm already learning so much you guys are really great!

14. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    They are jerking your chain, Coidrin, because of your choice of shield. That's assuming your initial post is a serious request.

Is it?

Bigfattyt likes this.
  15. Coidrin

Coidrin

Mar 4, 2020
    You mean that I wanted to use a double bladed sword with a shield? Yes I do. I couldn't tell they were playing with me.. so a viking sword is the best bet then?

16. gadunz

gadunz

Dec 4, 2012
    Highland broadsword, dirk & targe
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. SuburbanBarbarian

SuburbanBarbarian

Aug 12, 2018
    The Windlass Steelcrafts Ulfberht sword isn't too bad. I've done stupid stuff with it and it held up. But remember anything from them comes with a butter knife edge unless you get the sharpening service.

18. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    This guy is a maker here. His stuff is crazy heavy, not terribly historically accurate, but affordable and built for hard use. https://traditionalarcherybows.com/default.html

He is on these forums as ArcherHere, I think. He has a lot of Greek inspired items, too. If I needed a Xiphos to take to the zombie apocalypse or retake the Elysium Fields from the Titans, I would be buying from him. No weaklings need apply though, even his 22" Lakonian sword weighs in at 2lbs 5 oz.

19. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    I think it was more with the lights on the shield. They are projecting an unflattering image on you.

A Viking sword would give you reach....but you'd get that with a nice medieval knightly sword, as well. I think you want the reach if it's just you and your shield....a short sword like a gladius would be better for a formation of soldiers.

A smatchet is a nice large KNIFE; but it would be too short for behind any shield except a small buckler, at most. However, you should know that in the context of their use here, it is a mild way of poking fun of "mall ninjas" (again, your shield choice).

Any of the other suggestions here would work; a Viking-type sword would probably give you the most wrist range of motion with little interference from a large guard. If you are wielding it with a shield, get it with good distal taper, so it's not as blade heavy. I would go for a modern build, not only to match your shield, but to avoid all the period accouterments that would add expense. Look at "tactical" builds, as opposed to authentic - unless you truly want a period piece. You'll pay for a nice one, though.

What was your budget, again? Check out Angus Trim's tactical line, sold through the Cas Iberia folks, I think. They have a couple that are not as long as a Viking sword, but are basic construction that handle well, and should be a good, inexpensive way to test concept.

Understand that I pretty much have no real experience from which to advise, because while I love swords, I don't do any particular style of combat exercises with them. But it sounds like what you're doing is fun, and half of that is experimenting.

Good luck!