Looking for a wave modification service

Are you kidding. I have all five Dvds and had a sizable collection of the comic books at one time. Maybe there is some way to tap a hole in the spine and attatch a wave device like how they put a thumb disk on an Emerson... just an idea.

I'm not impressed Ernie is not allowing people to add waves anymore. Seems abit greedy to me. Ernie never struck me as that kind of guy before.

Are you kidding. I have all five Dvds and had a sizable collection of the comic books at one time. Maybe there is some way to tap a hole in the spine and attatch a wave device like how they put a thumb disk on an Emerson... just an idea.

I'm not impressed Ernie is not allowing people to add waves anymore. Seems abit greedy to me. Ernie never struck me as that kind of guy before.

And problem is that waved Emerson after some use has lock rock. You don't have such problem in Cold Steel with waved thumb disc.

Ti liner lock is just too weak for wave.

And problem is that waved Emerson after some use has lock rock. You don't have such problem in Cold Steel with waved thumb disc.

Ti liner lock is just too weak for wave.
How are some of you guys waving your knives?
I've owned probably 12 Emerson's and never have had an issue, I must have all the luck in the world. And before the you don't really use your knife crowd comes in I've cut open cans, cleared an entire 10X6 patch of red grass, opened roughly a billion packages (no one at work carries a knife), and regularly use it as a bottle opener, light prying tool, and even occasionally as a knife?

It can be done legally for monetary gain, so long as it is not wave shaped, and is not called a wave, or wave like feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only Emerson I had that had lock slip issues had that problem from the start. All of my other Emersons just wore to a point where the lock settled and the lock stick stopped. The lock held the blade perfectly open but it didn't rub the tang of the blade at all causing galling. Since it didn't gall it just seems that the lock will stay there for a very long time. It is like perfect lock geometry.

Actually my Micro Commander did develop lock slip after a while. However it soon wore past that point and now has that same great lock up as my other Emersons. The only one with a real problem is my Super Roadhouse which I will send in and will come back to me good as new.

That's another thing, if your Emersons locks wear out just send them in. All knife locks, particularly liner and frame will wear out. Thats why they have the warranty. It is part of what you pay for.

If he could do it by himself he wouldn't ask about someone who is good at it.

I asked about having it done years ago everyone said try it yourself because no one would do it so I tried it and it was easy. I didn't think I could do it when in fact I could.

It can be done legally for monetary gain, so long as it is not wave shaped, and is not called a wave, or wave like feature.

And San Mai existed long before cold steel slapped their name on it.

Glad some people know who Daigoro is! I know it sounds crazy, but I'm looking to modify the Reate Future, when it arrives in the mail. I have a dremel, but the design of the knife makes carving a simple wave into it look terrible. So I need a pro and would probably need the blade re-ground to a harpoon.

Cut the wavr yourself then send it out for a regrind/cleanup. No breach of patent that way and your knife will look great in the end.

And San Mai existed long before cold steel slapped their name on it.

And marriage existed long before the US existed, yet the Government still believe they own it, and can force Americans to pay a tax just to get married.

But the thread is about waves and such.

And marriage existed long before the US existed, yet the Government still believe they own it, and can force Americans to pay a tax just to get married.

But the thread is about waves and such.

It is about waves. There also seems to be a resounding opinion that out of respect for Mr. Emerson those who may have once offered the service have discontinued. But hey, if it ain't illegal go nuts, right?

It is about waves. There also seems to be a resounding opinion that out of respect for Mr. Emerson those who may have once offered the service have discontinued. But hey, if it ain't illegal go nuts, right?
It isn't illegal per say, but it is a good way to get hit with a cease and desist and possibly legal action. A patent means that Emerson knives is obligated to defend they're patent whenever they find someone using it without permission. Kind of a use it or lose it sort of thing, if they don't defend it they can lose the patent.

Pretty much.

I don't consider a hole opener a disrespect to Sal Glesser, so long as it isn't round, and isn't called a Spyderhole.

Do you think that Leatherman is disrespecting Mr Glesser, because they have a non round hole on their blades, and don't call them a Spyderhole?

A little off topic, but I think I can one up you. I have all the DVDs, comics, and a custom made wallet, with and image of Lone and Cub sewn onto it. I'll try to upload a photo of it, along with pics of some waves I carved.

Carving the wave myself and then having it cleaned might be the solution.

Pretty much.

I don't consider a hole opener a disrespect to Sal Glesser, so long as it isn't round, and isn't called a Spyderhole.

Do you think that Leatherman is disrespecting Mr Glesser, because they have a non round hole on their blades, and don't call them a Spyderhole?

Not sure about Leatherman. For me, if a person or manufacturer is knowingly tweaking another's feature to avoid some legal repercussion, that's scummy.

Apologies to the OP for my off-topic antics.

IMG_7217.jpg
Here's a pic I snapped of some of my favorite knives. I carved waves into a few of them.

IMG_7218.jpg
And here's a pic of my wallet for all the Lone Wolf and Cub fans out there.

How are some of you guys waving your knives?
I've owned probably 12 Emerson's and never have had an issue, I must have all the luck in the world. And before the you don't really use your knife crowd comes in I've cut open cans, cleared an entire 10X6 patch of red grass, opened roughly a billion packages (no one at work carries a knife), and regularly use it as a bottle opener, light prying tool, and even occasionally as a knife?

I've Emerson without wave and it had lock issues, so I replaced stop pin with bigger custom stop pin. Few friends with their waved Emersons had issues - after some flicking blade play and very late lock. And it's considered to be hard use tactical knife. I simply don't trust them anymore if it's waved and heavy with big, thick blade and that tiny ti liner lock. That lock is ok for knives like mini A-100.

Last edited:
I've Emerson without wave and it had lock issues, so I replaced stop pin with bigger custom stop pin. Few friends with their waved Emersons had issues - after some flicking blade play and very late lock. And it's considered to be hard use tactical knife. I simply don't trust them anymore if it's waved and heavy with big, thick blade and that tiny ti liner lock. That lock is ok for knives like mini A-100.

So your Emerson that wasn't waved had lockup issues so you added your own home made parts instead of sending it back the manufacturer for warranty work[emoji57].

Okay.

Did you have any Emerson's personally with the wave feature that had issues caused by the wave feature that were all factory parts?

I sense sarcasm, but okay...

It wasn't home made but made to my order by professional and friendly local company. Lock was late but solid when I bought it and sometimes I flicked it more dynamic with thumb disc, so after year there was small lock rock. I imagine what is going on when you have wave feature and use it often especially because I've heard and read about that in few places and saw it in some other models owned by people I know well personally - waved 7, Horsemanx2, CQC-15. You can believe it or not. But when someone has issues with Emerson it's about the lock rock almost always [mostly in waved pieces]. Let's say I've read about it a lot, because I like to dig for new informations. Sending it back is more costly for me and from which I know one guy from here or that another forum sent his Emerson with lock rock back and they did exactly the same thing - new stop pin with bigger diameter. And one Swedish guy if I remember correct, from that other forum with goat did the same job on his waved CQC-7 with new stop pins. Now I use it carefully, without flicking rapidly, no blade play in any directions but I bet if I would start flicking then lock would wear much faster again.

The same issue is in other brands knives with ti liner lock. It's just not good material for lock when you want flipper/waved folder. It's why many people don't buy flippers without steel lock inserts.

A little offtopic - Personally I think that triadlock is the best type of lock for having wave feature what makes me maybe a Lynn's fanboy in your eyes. But it's based on my experience with Talwar. There is no sign of wear after opening it with wave every time since 3 years. My best knife friend has Emerson Horseman and CS Talwar. He was Emerson fan. But he couldn't stand after while fit and finish, lock issues for that price especially when he saw Talwar in action. Horseman now lies forgotten in a box and CTS-XHP Talwar is his first choice for edc.

Also Fred Perrin once made video showing how wear resistant it is. Try to do it with any titanium liner lock folder. Yes, folder isn't a throwing knife. But if it can survive such a test it's good for wave which Talwar and some other models proves right.

[video=youtube;_1JyaTXdA1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1JyaTXdA1I[/video]

Shame that CS and Emerson can't make any cooperation like with ZT. CS has triadlock and their Taiwanese manufactures have quality but Ernie has one thing they didn't mastered yet - good eye for a nice design.

Last edited:
Legally no one is allowed to wave anything for monetary gain so unless you can find someone that will do it for free you're probably out of luck.

Find someone who will sell you a button for $50 and do the work for free.. :)

Damn Itto Ogami is probably my fav comic book character of all time. I used to have almost all the comics, plus a fat collection of Path of the Assassin and most of the Samurai excecutioner series as well. I just love those books. Still gotta get a Dotanuki though. I lost it all in a bad move from an insane room mate.

I wonder how the Cold Steel Katanas compare to a dotanuki. As they are more heavy and thick than say a Hanwei. I have a ton of knives, never pulled the trigger on a Katana. I really must.

Back