Looking for a wool outdoor shirt.

MTB

I am looking for a red/black buffalo plaid or a solid color earth tone heavy weight wool shirt to go over a normal t-shirt and under a coat for fall and winter wear. It will be used for hiking, camping, and hunting so it needs to be sturdy. I looked at Woolrich and it seams they cater to a less outdoorsy crowd now. Also, $300 for a shirt is asinine. Pendleton has a shirt I like but its $140. I as hoping to stay around the $100 mark. I prefer new, but I haven't ruled out used. I am currently checking out ebay. Does anyone have first hand experience with any other brands beside Woolrich and Pendleton for wool shirts? What other manufacturers am I not thinking of?

Picked up a couple of nice wool shirts just a Christmas last year from woolrich for 95 each in 2xl. I thought it was reasonable since it was replacing my well worn 15year old xl that I washed in hot water, I know stupid.

Picked up a couple of nice wool shirts just a Christmas last year from woolrich for 95 each in 2xl. I thought it was reasonable since it was replacing my well worn 15year old xl that I washed in hot water, I know stupid.

That is a great deal! Are they an older style? The only ones on the site now are $370 and look "updated" for a more urban crowd.

LL Bean.-KV

Thanks! I didn't even think of them. I just checked them out and their Guide Shirt looks just about right. $110 is acceptable and it has good reviews.

Any Goodwill or Salvation Army stores around? You might find just the right thing for $15.00 and no worse for wear.
Amazing deals to be found in those two and some thrift shops. just sayin'

Ray

Reactions: MTB
Any Goodwill or Salvation Army stores around? You might find just the right thing for $15.00 and no worse for wear.
Amazing deals to be found in those two and some thrift shops. just sayin'

Ray

Good idea.

Another thing you can do is put an ad in the paper for used hunting clothes.

I used to do this years ago and came up with not only good cheap clothes, but some good hunting knives and even a couple of old rifles and shotguns.

This is the time of year when old guys decide they won't hunt this season and decide to sell it off.

It seems that the NEW good wool stuff is getting hard to find........and expensive.

Thank you both for the suggestions. Both great ideas.

The one linked on Amazon is the one I am lookling for, unfortunately not in my size.

Good wool clothing has always been more than $100. It will last decades and outperform lesser gear.

I would look at Fjallraven and Patagonia as I've used both and swear by them. Heard great stuff about Filson but never used it.

Army surplus. I picked up a thick olive green wool shirt a couple years ago.

Good wool clothing has always been more than $100. It will last decades and outperform lesser gear.

I would look at Fjallraven and Patagonia as I've used both and swear by them. Heard great stuff about Filson but never used it.

I love wool products but I don’t pay some of the insane prices some companies charge. As in the case of woolrich, I’m not paying $300+ for a button up shirt. The L L Bean shirt for $110 has checked all the boxes so far for a brand new shirt. That might be the way I go for a new one. Still watching eBay though.

I’ll check out those two places too! Thanks for the recommendation!

Army surplus. I picked up a thick olive green wool shirt a couple years ago.

My introduction to wool was an M51 field shirt and an old army blanket. Been in love with wool products ever since!

I think it's still hard to beat Filson ... even though they aren't cheap ...

I've gotten some excellent deals on new old stock Pendletons on the big auction site--you just have to know what you're looking for. The best sellers will give actual measurements of the shirt, not just the labeled size.

Got a wonderful US made Pendleton plaid from the 60s a couple of years ago for $35.

I’ve heard very good things about Filson. I want a Mackinaw Cruiser jacket so bad but can’t bring myself to pay that price yet. I’ll be watching eBay.

Speaking of eBay I just scored a like new US made Woolrich Buffalo Plaid shirt for $33 shipped!

In the last year I have scored several very nice almost-new condition USA-made Pendletons on the big auction site for under $35 each. That is the first place you should look. Some people are quite proud of their shirts and are asking a lot, but if you look around you can find good ones for very little money. And for something a little heavier (if you can deal with the bright red color) look at the Boy Scouts shirt-jac. I got an older USA-made one in almost new condition for about $45.

I love wool products but I don’t pay some of the insane prices some companies charge. As in the case of woolrich, I’m not paying $300+ for a button up shirt. The L L Bean shirt for $110 has checked all the boxes so far for a brand new shirt. That might be the way I go for a new one. Still watching eBay though.

I’ll check out those two places too! Thanks for the recommendation!

My introduction to wool was an M51 field shirt and an old army blanket. Been in love with wool products ever since!
I always get my winter stuff in the spring when the outdoor places are flipping seasons.

Yes, a lot of people are buying wool for hunting season and winter already, so I see a lot of sizes are unavailable on Amazon.

If you have the time, e-Bay is an excellent suggestion.......just buy with care.

Back