Looking for advice.

I’m hoping that someone on this forum could help point me in the right direction. I’m hoping to purchase a Camillus knife soon. It’ll most likely be a Stockman. Typically I prefer square bolsters, in the 3 7/8” range, like a Schrade 8OT or a Buck 301. I do own a couple of Camillus made Bucks, but I’m looking for a Camillus branded knife. Was there a certain era that is superior? Are there any eras to stay away from? I generally appreciate older knives, but am open to all suggestions. Any information would be appreciated, and I would love to see pictures of some of your favorite Camillus Stockmen. Thanks! -Lance

Lance, sometimes it takes a spell to get some answers on this forum, so keep checking in. I am of little help as you can guess.
I might have one or two Camillus stamped knives. I know I have a 301 Buck with a Camillus stamped blade and I have on my desk what is either a Camillus stockman or Craftsman stockman with a Buck stamped blade. Camillus made many stockmen for many different outlets so if you try for a collection of 301 sized knives you will find a bunch. Someone will be along shortly to give you a Camillus model number to look for. If you haven't done so a search of this forum for 'Camillus Stockmen' may give you some good info. 300

I'm not an expert, but it is almost hard to buy a vintage stockman that wasnt made by Camillus.

Look for the long pull on the main blade, edpecially on the Buck brand ones. Or the match strike long pulls, don't forget all the BoyScout knives. I like the model 72, but it is more of a whittler instead of a stockman.

Once you get the eye, you recognize Camillus made no matter whose name is on it . And I don't think there is a good or bad era for them. Just make sure it's a US made one.

I’m hoping that someone on this forum could help point me in the right direction. I’m hoping to purchase a Camillus knife soon. It’ll most likely be a Stockman. Typically I prefer square bolsters, in the 3 7/8” range, like a Schrade 8OT or a Buck 301. I do own a couple of Camillus made Bucks, but I’m looking for a Camillus branded knife. Was there a certain era that is superior? Are there any eras to stay away from? I generally appreciate older knives, but am open to all suggestions. Any information would be appreciated, and I would love to see pictures of some of your favorite Camillus Stockmen. Thanks! -Lance

Had to chime in on this older thread. I have accumulated several Camillus stockman patterns and If you can live with rounded bolsters then I highly recommend you find a 179 in good condition to try out. Tom (can't remember his last name) who worked for Camillus said that the 179 was the best stockman they ever made and I have to agree. Nicely jigged delrin, federal shield with crossed swords, threaded bolsters and excellent stainless (440C?) blades that hold an edge longer than any of my other comparable knives, plus the long pull main clip blade is just classy. It's 3 7/8". The Camillus 69 is definitely their iconic stockman and worth picking up, they come in at 4", find one in bone and you'll have a real treasure.

Tx308 Tx308 , the 'Tom' who worked for Camillus and frequents this Forum is, 'Tom Williams'. He is very knowledgeable about all Camillus
models. I would take his word as legitimate. DM

Back