Looking for an old style Cold Steel Voyager........

Hey everybody new to Blade Forums. Looking for some help finding a knife or two. Search on this didn't come up with anything. I am a fan of Cold Steel knives. I currently own a Cold Steel Voyager X2 6" blade. It is a fantastic knife. I love it. However I was thinking about getting one of the smaller versions to supplement the giant one I have now. I was thinking about either the 5" XL version or the 4" L version. Here is the only problem: I am talking about the series from 2009 or earlier. I would buy one of the new ones, but Cold Steel cannot seem to be happy with the good version they had before. They keep changing their design. So, I am having a tough time tracking down either one of these knives. If anyone could help that would be great here are some pictures for reference. Thanks.
29LC.jpg
29XC.jpg

I have two of the old style voyagers and I love them. The new version has only been available a short time so finding the old style new in box should not be difficult. The new style is inferior to the old design in my opinion as it is much heavier (maybe due to metal liners), made of inferior steel (AUS-8 now versus VG-1) and a new user unfriendly Tri-Ad lock which is very stiff. Also production was moved from Japan to Taiwan China.

Actually, these Voyagers were in production from 2000 to 2009. So there should be quite a few of them still floating around. The serrated versions tend to be easier to find than the plain edge.

The mid-to-late 1990s versions before that had the integral zytel pocket clip.

and a new user unfriendly Tri-Ad lock which is very stiff. Also production was moved from Japan to Taiwan China.

Uhm, the Tri-Ad lock is really easy to use. It isn't that stiff either. It operates exactly the same as a back lock.
Also, Taiwan isn't China (there's the geography lesson for the day:)).

I love that design, i can't understand why they changed it to include a bunch of horsepoo ergonomic choils everywhere
I'm gonna see if my local midway still has them, i only have the largest X2

I would be careful with the older models of Voyagers. Their lockbacks are not that reliable. Two of my friends had the large Voyager models and both of their locks failed. Even a very light spine tap would make them close. The newer models with the Triad locks seem worth looking into though. Sorry if I'm not helping you out here. Just saying.

If youre still looking for one i have one of the old models. 4" PE Blade. There's some wear on the finish on the pocket clip, but the lockup is tight and its really a nice knife with tight lock up. PM me for details

Don't be afraid to try the new versions - spent over a decade using the older ones, these are made better and have a better design.

The older ones are still good though and if it's what you really want it's not a bad choice, but still say to give a new Large model a go for under $40 to see what you think.

Good luck

Back